New Guy With A New Story

Game Design, Story, Game Play.
Hazardmaker

New Guy With A New Story

Post by Hazardmaker » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:39 am

Hello everyone, I am new to RF and am amazed with it so far. I don't know much about anything on it, but I have been making 3d models and composing music for five years now, and have done a lot of mods on games, so (I dont really know,) but I think it'll help me with making a game using this engine.

Now, first off, I DO NOT BELEIVE IN ANY OF THE RELIGIOUS VIEWS PORTRAYED IN THIS STORYLINE! I am a catholic and my faith means very much to me, so don't try and peg me as something I am not. I am not blaspheming, I am just creating a storyline, so if you are going to start flaming me, please, chill out.

Anyway, back to the point.

My game is called,

Seperation: Church and State

Here's the story:

It is the year 2999, one day before Y3K. Many years before, in year 2159, U.S. patriotism was at an all-time low, apathy ruled the once-glorified lands of America, and the military barely still existed. Meanwhile, the pope, Pope Arthur, had made some huge changes in how the church runs, which in turn, made Pope Arthur the richest man in the world. Pope Arthur never liked that the catholic faith wasn't accepted by all, and surely didn't like the fact that the holy land still wasn't christianised, so the Pope funded the U.S. military, preached about how a new crusade is right in God's perfect eyes, and soon had the military up to it's head in military applications. The crusade was dubbed as, the Final Crusade, and the holy land was easily conquered. The military and the church stayed merged, and the government soon allowed a change in democracy. The government was always known for keeping the church separated from state. This was no more, for religious leaders were now senators, governors, mayors, etc.

Now, in current time, (year 2999) Pope Jason had been preaching weird, uncatholic ideals that threatened the balance of the government. Pope Jason preached that Jesus would come and bring eternal salvation to those who are religious, after all of the unreligious have been killed off after Y3K. The president was very nervous about these preachings and was planning to do something, when at 11:59:00 the president was assassinated, the church broke from the government and the military, the church unraveled the darkest secret of the Vatican, and started an all-out attack on the main base of operations in America where you, Samson Juleson, the president's biggest secret, and one hope for order, have been released for battle. You have not been fully genetically and technologically altered, so you and your suit will get stronger and faster as the story progresses.

This game is not going to be one of those games that are huge and will never get done. I'm planning on this being a series. each game will have 3-7 levels. This way, games will be produced easier, a standard motion for the game to follow will be set, and new releases will come out at a more solid rate.

Now, once again, I have absoloutely no idea what I am doing. I can make models, compose music, and direct the game... that's it. And I've been reading through the forums, and the community here is very helpful and nice, so, can anyone tell me what I need to start a team?
RIP Dimebag Darrell

zany_001

Re: New Guy With A New Story

Post by zany_001 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:03 am

WELCOME TO TEH FORUMZ!!!! :D :D :D

Anyway for your game, sounds good, althoguh the pope's names sound a bit bland, normally they have names like innocent, benedict, etc.

For teams, you would have to ask around, most people have their own projects, but you might find someone.
Once I was sad, and I stopped being sad and was awesome instead.
True story.

Hazardmaker

Post by Hazardmaker » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:10 am

Thanks, I appreiciate the warm welcome.

I'm guessing job postings would be a good place to ask around.

And thanks for the input on the pope names. Any ideas for names I should use? And can you think of any changes I should make to the story to make it less childish and make it flow better?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
RIP Dimebag Darrell

Alextreme

Post by Alextreme » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:34 pm

Welcome. I hope you do a great game

Duplicate post removed by Bernie. Please take more care when posting.

Hazardmaker

Post by Hazardmaker » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:47 am

Thanks. Right now though, I think I will join a team and learn the basics through example. And in my free time I'll make more storyboard changes. I want to include the arc of the covenant and the chalice. Also I'll keep on workig on models until I know how to use RF.
Last edited by Hazardmaker on Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
RIP Dimebag Darrell

Hazardmaker

Post by Hazardmaker » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:47 am

Sorry for the double post. But here are some updates:

First level BSP is made (i know its a crappy texture)

the level is in the winter and the place is getting bombed as you escape, so a lot of triggers are going to be used.

and I have a question. How would I go about taking a file from 3ds max and making it the BSP for RF?

Also I made the main character's model and used bones from 3ds max and applied a skin modifier (crappy textures i know. im not a UV mapper. sorry.)

Any tutorials on how to set up 3ds max actors for equity? links wud be nice.

I also made a walking animation for 3rd person when unarmed

tell me what you think of the models (not the textures. i already know they are repulsive cus i did them in 5 minutes)

also any help or links to legit tutorials would be nice. thank you.
Attachments
pic3.jpg
random thing i decided to render to test the bones and skin modifier
(15.64 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
pic2.jpg
crappily textured lvl 1
(31.2 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
pic1.jpg
main character with crappy textures and un UVW mapped
(20.5 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
RIP Dimebag Darrell

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:37 am

Any tutorials on how to set up 3ds max actors for equity? links wud be nice.
No setting up required just export mesh and textures from 3dsmax in *.nfo format and motions in *.key format using the 3dsMax actor exporter (download it from here: http://www.realityfactory.info/cms/inde ... -exporters)
Equity supports those files and will build your actor.

Hazardmaker

Post by Hazardmaker » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:51 pm

thanks bernie, and do those work on 3ds max 7?

By the way, about 2 days ago I imported my models as 3ds into equity. How come the bones were not shown in the mesh menu and were shown next to the mesh and not in it?
RIP Dimebag Darrell

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:29 pm

do those work on 3ds max 7
yes
By the way, about 2 days ago I imported my models as 3ds into equity. How come the bones were not shown in the mesh menu and were shown next to the mesh and not in it?
*.3ds format does not support bones its mesh and texture only. That is why you need to export in *.nfo and *.key format from 3dsMax. The *.key format is motions.

Hazardmaker

Post by Hazardmaker » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:46 pm

OH! That's why lol

can equity take my level and turn it into a bsp?
RIP Dimebag Darrell

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:13 am

Equity does not make bsp. Equity will take your model and create a *.act file from it which you can then use in RF as a StaticEntityProxy, StaticMesh, Pawn or Attribute. You can change textures, alter the position of the actor, rename textures or motions and in the next release you will be able to create and edit motions (provided that your model has a skeleton and is rigged).

Hazardmaker

Post by Hazardmaker » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:27 am

woah thats pretty cool. when's next release? and is there such a tool to make a bsp out of something i made in max?
RIP Dimebag Darrell

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:29 am

when's next release?
Well the editor is working. I have made and modified quite a few motions with it and it does the job very well. We were hoping to release this coming weekend, but we have hit a couple of snags with simplifiation that are holding things up (some of the functions could cause confusion for noobs). Once these are ironed out we will release. I will say this though, the editor is entirely wysiwyg and done in 3d mode (no messing around with 4 different views). All you do is set key frames and the program does the rest. I made a walk motion for the universal woman using its existing skeleton (not the virgil one) and it took just 7 keyframes (download Tiffany.zip from my filefront if you want a look). You can also set the speed of any motion to whatever you want, so if you have an existing actor and you don't like the speed of a motion you can change it easily.

Hazardmaker

Post by Hazardmaker » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:58 am

wow thats really awesome and useful. i like the editing the speed part cus I hate having to move all of my keys around in max just because i made it a little too slow. and I'll download tiffany when i get on my pc.

and when I import my model into RFedit pro it come sin as a wireframe and lags badly. I guess I have too many polies.
RIP Dimebag Darrell