RF + 3D Glasses!

Game Design, Story, Game Play.
GMer

RF + 3D Glasses!

Post by GMer » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:52 pm

I have decided to expirament in RF and 3D glasses. Gonna make the 3d models have the dual colors (use cell shading?). I'll post the pictures and a demo if I can pull it off.
Over 3 years (has it been that long?) and just now I noticed the day and month of my birthday were switched. Whoops!

Some 2d games I made, haven't made anything in a year though O.o
http://www.yoyogames.com/users/GMer56

Jay
RF Dev Team

Re: RF + 3D Glasses!

Post by Jay » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:27 pm

Do you even know what you are getting yourself into with this?

A '3D-Picture' consists of 2 pictures in one, one for the left eye and one for the right one. Depending on the color-encoding used by the picture one would need appropriate 3D-Glasses.
Looking through 3D-Glasses, the color-filter for the left eye only lets through the color for the left eye, so that the parts of the image that contain information about the right picture are not let through and vice versa. Then, in the mind, the two images are combined to form a '3D-Image'.

Producing an image like this is IMPOSSIBLE with RF. You would need to render the whole world twice, once for the left and once for the right eye, use shaders to draw them in the appropriate colors, and then in a final step you had to combine both images to the resulting image containing the final colors.

If you want to get the color-coding into the models, it won't work. Rotating the model or changing the camera view will screw up the color-encoding. That's because the color encoding is relative to the eye positions. If they change, so will the color-encoding.
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----

GMer

Post by GMer » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:34 pm

I can try though. I was more thinking of making only the bad guys and projectiles 3d.
Textures can be tinted.
I'll se what I can do, I almost got a cube going (just need to adjust the color...)
Over 3 years (has it been that long?) and just now I noticed the day and month of my birthday were switched. Whoops!

Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:19 pm

I don't think you understand 3D Pictures with color encoding. A 3D Picture MUST consist of 2 images blended together. Otherwise there will be no 3D Effect, and therefore no 3D Picture.

Adjusting the color/tinting the textures might work for one point of view, but if the model gets rotated or is looked at a different angle, then the color encoding will not be right anymore and this will either make the 3D Effect very very strange or destroy it completely.
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:25 pm

GMer, you will have to modify Genesis for this. You cannot do this with RF via script.
Many Bothans died to bring you this signature....

GMer

Post by GMer » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:51 am

I'm going to try to make any sort of game that will utilize 3d glasses (the camera just might not have to turn :cry: )
*edit: or the models for that matter, or maybe just experiment around*
I don't really know how to modify engines... but by making the model have 2 of itself with each transparent (one blue and one red) and a stationary camera, I could make a 3d version of a space shooter game (view the back of the player's ship, bad guys move towards the camera.
Since you said it is impossible without modifying the engine, I'm definitely going to try it without modification. I already put in a wall decal that utilizes 3d glasses.

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:08 pm

The fact that you insist on trying this without modifying the engine suggests that you have no idea where to start. You would have to use the 3D glasses SDK to alter the way that Genesis renders. RF does no rendering...it is all done by Genesis.

GMer

Post by GMer » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:37 pm

The camera will be behind the player (always) and the enemies will only strafe and go towards the camera.
It will be a space shooter. (Time to start making a player script)
I know Genesis is the power behind RF, (as the RF programs would do squat without the graphics engine, I guess I just worded my last post wrong, but everyone has done that at least once, right? :roll: ) and I will not modify anything, but make the models just a plane with a 3D glasses texture on it, the bounding box will be a cube around the model, and the skybox textures will be also 3d.
I am even thinking about having the option to play the game without 3d glasses (no 3d effects, normal-looking) like in the character selection menu.

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:02 pm

and I will not modify anything, but make the models just a plane with a 3D glasses texture on it, the bounding box will be a cube around the model, and the skybox textures will be also 3d.
Think about it...how will RF render it? It's not just about textures and models.

Check out this page. If you use the NVidia glasses, you won't need to modify a thing.

GMer

Post by GMer » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:16 pm

Fascinating... but let me see how far I can get, okay?