Mark in 2-D's Game Thread

Game Design, Story, Game Play.
Mark in 2-D

Mark in 2-D's Game Thread

Post by Mark in 2-D » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:11 am

I haven't been on the forums for a while and I have been making a lot of progress on my game. The name was originay Silent Fear but I might change it to something less cheesy.

The story I am not too sure about yet. Originally it was going to be the mind of a mental institution patient but now I am leaning towards an invasion of an alien planet or something like that. It feels very Quake/Doom like as quake 2 is my favourite game ever but i will keep things as original as possible.

Also I am having a problem using my own actor files as weapons. I basically decompiled the default disk launcher weapon and modeled my own weapon in it's place in milkshape. I then export the idle animation as a .mot file and export the model as a .bdy (i think that's what it's called). I then compile it all with Astudio and script it into the game. The model shows up fine in the right place with the right texture but it does not shoot anything. The scripts are fine because when i replace my actor file with a default one it is fine. Am i missing something when i compile it, does the actor need more than a body and a motion?

Thanks a lot if anyone can help me. Sorry if i sound like a complete noob.

Here are some screenshots of my first enemy that I have finished and some projectiles i have comlpeted. This is not a level from my game it is just a test arena. The enemies are called Tanks and are huge and fire rockets from their hands. I was wondering if anyone knew how to make an enemy fire two projectiles at a time, right now my Tanks only fire one and i was hoping for them to fire two rockets at a time one from each hand.

Image Rockets! I'm gonna change the crosshair

Grenade Launcher (sorry the pics are dark, my laptop is really bright for some reason)

machine gun action. I like this crosshair too

this is a good action shot

Image this is showing my ricochet and muzzle flash effects. Also if someone could tell me where to find the script that tell the weapon to use the m4 shellspray effect? i want to get rid of it and I swear ive searched everywhere in weapon.ini and effect.ini

Thanks a lot

Markin2D

Matte

Re: Mark in 2-D's Game Thread

Post by Matte » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:11 pm

One word, four letters. N-i-c-e.

Keep up the work!

zany_001

Post by zany_001 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:36 pm

I believe you need a bone in the gun. Then you specify the bone in the script or weapon ini, and the explosions should start coming from the tip of the bone.
Once I was sad, and I stopped being sad and was awesome instead.
True story.

Mark in 2-D

Post by Mark in 2-D » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:55 pm

@ zany. thanks for the help. I won't have a chance to try that tonight but ill get back to you as soon as i can. that sounds about right because the skeleton i used for the weapons was simply the human skeleton that is used with the default weapons, I'll add another bone with a specific name and attach the gun verts to that and see if it works. Thanks a lot for the help.

zany_001

Post by zany_001 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:51 pm

It may not work, it's been a while since I've tried something like that :P
If it doesn't, make a topic in Level design and entity useage.
Once I was sad, and I stopped being sad and was awesome instead.
True story.

Mark in 2-D

Post by Mark in 2-D » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:28 pm

thanks for trying but it didn't work. I've started level design now. I avoided level design for a while because it is the easiest thing to do and i wanted to get all the unfamiliar stuff out of the way.

I've got some screenies for you all. Examples of what my blood will look like, what the scope will be similar to (im going to redraw it all myself) and an idea of the visual style of the game by showing a corridor from the first level.

this is after a long burst of machine gun fire BTW

the scope will be redrawn but will look something like this

overall look of inside the building (ill explain story later)

the game will consist of mostly corridor shooting but occationaly big arena battles and outdoor areas that link buildings together.

Mark in 2-D

Post by Mark in 2-D » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:15 am

It's been a while since I have posted any progress but I am still working regularly on this game. It's a shame there's hardly anyone on the forums because feedback is always good. Progress is hard to see without screenshots so I'll let the following pictures do the talking:

Image Some level design. Not gonna use it anymore.

Image The Bulldog (Shotgun)

darksmaster923

Post by darksmaster923 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:21 am

very nice
Herp derp.