A Presentation of My Halo Costume

Game Design, Story, Game Play.
GMer

A Presentation of My Halo Costume

Post by GMer » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:20 pm

Unsure if this is the right forum, if it isn't, please move it to the correct place, mods.

I have been working on this since late November, but didn't have want to share it untill I was done (bad Ju-Ju!). This was made for a college application (Worcester Polytechnic Institute in Worcester, Massachusettes), this is basically a 3d presentation of my Halo Costume in a museum setting, download linky is here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?ylgm0jlmoyh (note, approximately 37mb)

Everything you see is my own work unless otherwise noted (either in the readme or on a sign in the museum).

Let's hope I'm accepted :) *fingers crossed*

Some screen shots:

Over 3 years (has it been that long?) and just now I noticed the day and month of my birthday were switched. Whoops!

Some 2d games I made, haven't made anything in a year though O.o
http://www.yoyogames.com/users/GMer56

MakerOfGames

Re: A Presentation of My Halo Costume

Post by MakerOfGames » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:22 pm

That looks fantastic! Great job! I hope you are accepted! Good luck with your college search, although with presentations like this, I doubt you'll need any! :wink:
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.

GMer

Post by GMer » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:53 pm

I wasn't accepted :(
Apparently they only accept media-conforming troglodytes.
I would rant about things, but the better part of me is keeping that in check. Maybe I'll feel better if I put on my cardboard SPARTAN armor.
Over 3 years (has it been that long?) and just now I noticed the day and month of my birthday were switched. Whoops!

MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:57 pm

That is very disappointing. I am very surprised that they would not have taken this presentation as a seriously as they should have. I know if I was on the board of admissions and had a student present something like this, I would want them at my University. The admissions board probably doesn't understand how much work had actually gone into it, as most common people do not. Heck you made a better 3D world/level than my college professor who was teaching a course in game art. He used the unreal editor and did some sickeningly basic stuff. I could barely stomach the course after working in RF and trueSpace. Oh and we were required to use 3DS Max. I am not a fan of Max, its like here you can freely create an object not with mouse gestures or easy movement but with a series of button presses? I never could make much sense out of its interface.

Anyhow, sorry to hear you weren't accepted. I'm sure you'll find the right University for your talents.
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.

GMer

Post by GMer » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:39 pm

I just did, and was accepted to Daniel Webster College, with the major of "Gaming, Simulation, and Robotics".
Now for financial aide paperwork up to my eyeballs :?

MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:49 pm

Very nice! Congratulations on your acceptance! I know it's not fun, but you have to stay on top of all that paperwork and financial stuff even though there are tons of it to do. Good luck!
Think outside the box.