RPG WIP (unnamed)

Game Design, Story, Game Play.
GMer

RPG WIP (unnamed)

Post by GMer » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:24 pm

I had an idea for an RPG since 9th grade (now I'm a freshman in college, FTW), I finally have a backstory for it. I would like to leave it as a surprise, but you start out running from the English church (yes, church. Think medieval), as... well... you can see why the church wouldn't like this character ^^

Yup, those are dragon wings. He's about 600 poly, the trees are about 60 poly, the grass a flipbook, the entire ground (about 5000 textel linear length) is an 800 poly static mesh. Here is a few pictures of the environment you run through, being chased by guys with torches ^^ . The woods were inspired by those a few miles from my college, I still have a long way top go though. Need more grass/small trees.

I get a framerate of about 100, this is the perspective the game will be at.

What are your opinions?
Over 3 years (has it been that long?) and just now I noticed the day and month of my birthday were switched. Whoops!

Some 2d games I made, haven't made anything in a year though O.o
http://www.yoyogames.com/users/GMer56

jamieo01

Re: RPG WIP (unnamed)

Post by jamieo01 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:02 pm

This looks very good can't wait for a demo the character model is very good for how many polys it is keep up the good work

GMer

Post by GMer » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:26 pm

As I said, the character is around 600 polys. Since I am a one-man-band here and have college to compete with my time, a demo will more than likely be released this time next year. But I assure you it will be quite a demo.
Over 3 years (has it been that long?) and just now I noticed the day and month of my birthday were switched. Whoops!

Gamemaker

Post by Gamemaker » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:20 pm

I like it so much and I can't imagine that FPS is like 100. My StaticMesh terrain is like 700 polys and without any models its FPS is like 30.0, but I filled with my map with bushes (4poly each) and some trees(20polys). I have there like 50-60 bushes and 10 trees, and then FPS goes like 14-15. With FarClipPlane and Fog it's like 18, when I'm in bush-area :D ...

Also I tried scripted bushes (2polygons). I added them as Pawns and scripted them to Face Player always, but then the FPS got higher, probably because Genesis had to handle 60scripts also. Dunno what to do, but I liked your pics ;)

-GM

GMer

Post by GMer » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:57 am

Gamemaker wrote: Dunno what to do, but I liked your pics ;)
Aww, you just made me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

I forgot to mention, the static mesh has the VisCheckLevel set to 2 (per face), my fog distance is 800, character is standard scale.

I took off the per face vis check, clipping plane and the framerate hovered between 80 and 100, once it dropped to 40 for a frame. Weird...