Dark Crypt (Isometric Dungeon)

Game Design, Story, Game Play.
Veleran

Re: Dark Crypt (Isometric Dungeon)

Post by Veleran » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:50 am

I re rendered in max7 the blue floor texture.I hope it is better now.I was out of phone for a month that is why i did nt post new images earlier.
Now i see a monster floating on the ceramic vase,i will reduce the bounding box size of the vase a little.

Veleran

Post by Veleran » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:30 pm

I had made this nice heroquest style bookcase at around 1700 triangles with normal maps but i wont used it i think and will try making it with bsp which always has shadows.
all these 1700 faces casting stencil shadows ,..dont think its fair for the monsters since i chopped so much the little ones to 225 to 600 triangles each.
I did nt optimize the kobolds and gnomes and goblins some much to add all the detail to the bookcase...still i hope the bsp will look good enough,and i would add only the skull in it as actor.

http://veleran.cgsociety.org/gallery/

Veleran

Post by Veleran » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:25 pm

I must make a more real and old looking blue floor before i post again new pics.

Veleran

Post by Veleran » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:23 am

Two years after i started its looking better but the frame rate might drop to 4,and i guess few would play it.
I can either try using bare dungeon walls ,which will look like we are in 1999 or try filling a forest to see if that would be faster in speed.

Veleran

Post by Veleran » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:27 am

The Dungeon could be also done using staticmesh which is faster and the shapes would be more free,yet i do not know if it would look good enough without shadows.
The multiplayer could also be skipped and focus gameplay to old style solo.
Im not yet sure if the normal mapping that needs dynamic light would interfere with the static lights static mesh needs
(until now i used suns for the torch lights).
If i switch to just the static corridor lights for both walls and actors the light direction might make the monsters and player look darker.Except the lightning i do not know if the collision would be still buggy or not.I would possibly need to start all over with more optimized resources so the cpu has less tasks to run.

Agentbromsnor

Post by Agentbromsnor » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:55 pm

The screenshots look really good.

Hope you manage to make a demo sometime soon. :)

Veleran

Post by Veleran » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:24 pm

Thank you for the interest Agentbromsnor.
The idea is somewhat like board game advanced Heroquest with types of rooms like torture chamber,Lair. hazard,wizards study and random monster character and furniture appearences and various kinds of traps .

i accidently burned the graphic card,and i needed that to make the normal maps of the objects and monsters in sculptris (free app) or mudbox. i am not working on it right now,unless i add instead the actors as normal lighted.
I have told before i edit the message that staticmesh cant have bsp clip brushes in the same place wit it for collision but that is not true,
I think the staticmesh does not render well with another object on top of it is when there are transparent flagged brushes intersecting it.It has been a while since i used this for casting fake shadows on bsp but i think that is it.

For the moment im thinking if i could make a more simple project that does not need normal mapping and high polygon sculpting,and using standard static lightniing,until i get new pc or graphic card,i am not sure yet what i will do.

Agentbromsnor

Post by Agentbromsnor » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:05 pm

I think a dungeon crawler doesn't really need high-tech graphics in order to be good. As long as the immersion is right and the gameplay flows naturally.

Veleran

Post by Veleran » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:40 am

Thank you.I still think how to model the dungeon and static details.
I could make them from only staticmeshes the basic walls and floors with collision and the detail broken stones no collision with clip brushes on top.
or Bsp with details on the textures like barred entrances,niches,marquees and other architect elements.

I still can not get a new graphic card and model high polygon models for rendering normal maps, i can only work standard lighted monsters right now.
Some of the good news is that they can hide in the dark corners of the environment now.
Before,the normal mapped could not have ambient light so the were always visible even in the darkness.

megaman ex

Post by megaman ex » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:26 pm

wow this game reminds me of ascension (I loved ascension so that's a good thing). I will play this game.

Veleran

Post by Veleran » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:35 am

I would like to delete all those old Dark Crypt junk pics from ImageShack (that are taking up the space there )and make a new fresh post-if i manage to have a sample in Game screenshot,and i hope you do not mind deleting the old post.
I know that the comments of others in the topic would be gone too,but not many would notice it anyway nor they would mind.
Sorry if you cant see the pics because i delete them but i hope i can do that fresh restart with new pics.

Veleran

Post by Veleran » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:25 pm

I do not have option to delete the entire topic,here is some colored lightning,not much but working without bugs.
https://www.facebook.com/Dark.Crypt/pho ... 921b842b97

The thing is i can not see the preview here and ,i tried a blog upload which also did not give picture preview.
I wanted to avoid using again imageshack which was quite limited to the total upload space,and i guess that if i have something to post,i have to search again the web for image hosting.

Veleran

Post by Veleran » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:59 pm

upload image online
the cage is split to models ,front is two models to make the door opening.
The central pillar can become half transparent when you walk behind it.

Veleran

Post by Veleran » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:36 pm

Radiocity has the habit to overdo it with color reflections,so i have reduced it to 0.75 and to break the deepest shadows a bit,i added default light level 16.
The radius,position and last,the saturation of the lights is important to me,i prefer to leave dark spaces than to light all areas.
image upload with preview

seppgirty

Post by seppgirty » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:05 pm

Looks great. keep up the good work.
Gamer, Lover, Film maker,

http://www.chaosbrosfilms.com