Side-scrolling isometric level

Game Design, Story, Game Play.
Jay
RF Dev Team

Side-scrolling isometric level

Post by Jay » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:48 pm

This is the level i mentioned earlier in Veleran's thread with the isometric dungeon.

It is kind of "side-scrolly" because you like walk from one "room" to another and you mostly walk left-right and up-down like in old jump-and-run games.
However, there is also the element of depth that is used, although not extensively. The theme is having a good overview over the field combined with pseudo-2d^^

I find it a pretty interesting way to build a level.

pics

Starting town

You walk from one scene to another

I made a small river... and there is a secret spot you reach by going behind the corner you reach when you walk "into the picture" left of the river

Moving into a tunnel. You then move further into the tunnel and come out on the other side...

The sky isn't final. It is just a far clip plane for now. This is the place where you will leave the level.

Here you can go into a crypt.

Inside the dungeon.

I find it important that you cannot see the sky when you come to a dead end

If you're wondering, you cannot fall of the platforms and you cannot fall off the world if you move "towards the camera" too much. I used clip brushes
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----

Nighthawk_0973

Re: Side-scrolling isometric level

Post by Nighthawk_0973 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:27 am

hmm... interesting.

Think you can make a video and put it on youtube? If you don't have a screen recorder of choice try this: www.camstudio.org
https://sites.google.com/site/theneverendinguniverse/ <-- Infinite Universe Website. It's a 2D MMORPG I'm releasing into beta near the late summer (I hope :D) note: RF isn't an MMO maker. Not yet anyways.

Veleran

Post by Veleran » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:51 am

Nice,yet if you drop by cg textures and register quick,you can get some nice free tile able textures to help you make it prettier ,floors,walls,grass etc.
I got that stone brick wall from there.then you can re sample them to 512x512 or even 1024x1024.
I am a fan of contrasted lightning and bright levels,maybe the suns or sunlight need higher light value.(it wont cost in frame rate to raise it a bit).

http://www.cgtextures.com/

Grab plenty of woods and planks tiles,they can help fill the level geometry.

Nighthawk_0973

Post by Nighthawk_0973 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:48 pm

yeah I do recommend making the world brighter, even in the darker game areas.

Also, you should try adding more detail in your levels. Try playing with different visual styles too.
https://sites.google.com/site/theneverendinguniverse/ <-- Infinite Universe Website. It's a 2D MMORPG I'm releasing into beta near the late summer (I hope :D) note: RF isn't an MMO maker. Not yet anyways.

Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:54 pm

Detail is coming. I wanted to make the big stuff before i add all kind of small things. Right now i am working on ghost/skeleton/zombie like monsters for the crypt. The scripts are ready. (I still had a lot of scripts, so it was easy to build something)

After playing with the light a bit i figured it is easier to just make the whole level "Full Bright" (=disables all lightmaps). Now everything is bright :)
-----

Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:22 pm

Added a forest

The hud shows energy and health respectively.

I am not sure about the trees. They are of course very low-poly (1 tree=72polys) Maybe more high poly trees with lods?
-----

Gamemaker

Post by Gamemaker » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:27 pm

If you want the game to be cartoonish, then they are OK, if not, you should make like 3sided cylinder. For leaves and stuff use 2 simple planes, that are crossed, and use tga textures on them.
Oh, and for the cartoonish ones, you can use less polygons if you deleted the bottom treetrunk polys (Because they are always faced down and you can't see them).

8)

Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:28 pm

I remade the trees. Now they use planes, and also have 1 LOD:

The Trees, added into the starting town to fill it up a little:

The LOD. You have to look at the trees specifically to see it. (Made a LOD because trees are so widely used)
-----

Nighthawk_0973

Post by Nighthawk_0973 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:03 pm

somethings up with your mediafire images! :)