Pumpkin Jones

Game Design, Story, Game Play.
steven8

Pumpkin Jones

Post by steven8 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:09 am

A long time ago (2006) I started a project called Pumpkin Jones, where you actually play as a pumpkin. Inspired by the bit in Banjo Kazooie where you have to become a pumpkin and Indiana Jones. The 'bad guys' were giant carrots who would hop after you, and I had a cool scripted bat that would swoop down after you. Anyway, my HDD pooped out and I lost it all. I decided to abandon the idea until recently. I've spent the last month working on the menus and initial level and I got the framework up for level two. You start in the yard of a spooky Victorian house, into which you must get. I'm posting some screens. Bet you couldn't guess I created the house in RF! (*sarcasm, by the way*)

[edit] - The board is not allowing me to attach files. I made them smaller because the files were too big, but now they are not showing up. They are jpg files. They are between 94 and 147 kilobytes.

[edit again] - uploaded and linked to freewebs.

Steve Dilworth - Resisting change since 1965!

Grok

Re: Pumpkin Jones

Post by Grok » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:57 pm

That's a creative idea. It could turn out to be a fun game. Hope you have better luck not losing your work this time. :)

seppgirty

Post by seppgirty » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:18 am

I think the house looks pretty sweet. I have trouble just getting 4 walls and a ceiling together. Really like the idea and the looks of the level. Keep it up!
Gamer, Lover, Film maker,

http://www.chaosbrosfilms.com

steven8

Post by steven8 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:07 am

Thanks guys. I keep promising myself I'll back up my files externally, but then I get lazy. I'm gonna do it this time...I promise!!

aicd99

Post by aicd99 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:02 am

Yeah post a demo soon

steven8

Post by steven8 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:59 am

I've just completed one level with a house that is just a prop. Let's pump the breaks on the demo just yet. When I am ready, I will have to research how to package it up again. It's been awhile. If you want to see a demo of mine, download Castle of the Pharaoh. That was like what, 2003? As I said, it's been awhile. :D

Wraps

Post by Wraps » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:12 pm

i'm just coming back, too. nice to see this idea is still in yer head. i lost all my files, so i have to get them all back. yay. but, hey...someone put a blender rig in one of my models on indiedb.....gonna download it , see if i can animate it. :D

do you remember an old game called Realms of the Haunted?

steven8

Post by steven8 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:17 am

Wraps wrote:i'm just coming back, too. nice to see this idea is still in yer head. i lost all my files, so i have to get them all back. yay. but, hey...someone put a blender rig in one of my models on indiedb.....gonna download it , see if i can animate it. :D

do you remember an old game called Realms of the Haunted?
I've never heard of Realms of the Haunting. 1997 and it looks pretty cool. I got my first computer in 1996 and was just learning about Duke Nukem 3D and seeing Quake for the first time. I hated Quake, because it was near impossible to tell the people/monsters you were supposed to fight from the background. All one giant brown-gray smear. I later grew to love it. I must say Realms of the Haunting looks pretty cool. My kind of textures, that's for sure!! My boys have Steam, and see it is on there. We'll have to get it.

Good luck on your Blender Rig!

Wraps

Post by Wraps » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:59 pm

Yeah , wasnt much of a hit over here , but my wife says it was a must have game in England. Your house in pumpkin jones reminded me of it.

steven8

Post by steven8 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:23 am

Newest screens with some revised messages:

seppgirty

Post by seppgirty » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:03 pm

Really looking good Steve. keep it up.

Veleran

Post by Veleran » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:21 am

Looks like an adventure game.In the meantime,are you slowly modelling the Mansion and later replace the current house with it?

steven8

Post by steven8 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:36 am

Veleran wrote:Looks like an adventure game.In the meantime,are you slowly modelling the Mansion and later replace the current house with it?
Nope. No house modelling. The house you see there is the house you get. I am working on the entryway inside of the house now, though.

seppgirty

Post by seppgirty » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:34 am

The house you see there is the house you get.
I think the house looks sweet. No need to change it............. Keep posting those pics.

steven8

Post by steven8 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:02 am

seppgirty wrote: I think the house looks sweet. No need to change it............. Keep posting those pics.
Thanks sep. First interior shot. Basic geometry, one model and lights. The lights will have sources in time.

[edit] I started the living room: