If it's possible...

Discuss any other topics here
metal_head

If it's possible...

Post by metal_head »

Both entidad and RF use the same engine...entidad is closed, and I love something in E3D, that RF doesn't really have - the movement system!
In E3D it's very smooth, it's like Counter Strike's. In RF, there are some collision bugs with ceilings and walls :( and in E3D the climbing is much more reallistic (when you walk along a steep hill or street etc.)

I don't really understand how the movement system is made and what it is, but why RF's one isn't that great (RF is obiously 10000000 times better than E3D.

I've learned the structure of programming (It's nothing of course) and now I can start learning more advanced language (lik C#). The following may seem funny to all of you, but I'm motivated to help making the movement system better, I'll learn whatever I have to, to do it!

Or the other question is, can we take E3D's movement system and import it somehow in RF... I just don't know anything about it . If someone can tell me more about it (I got the feeling that I won't like what i rad :D ).

Honestly, everything in RF is great, but the movement system is not really good, I really want to help (if I can of course) for making it better! I imagine my game with a movement like E3D's, it would be AWESOME! :)
Zidane

Re: If it's possible...

Post by Zidane »

WTF? No!
The movement in E3D is very poor!
SucOcuS

Post by SucOcuS »

Hey guys, what you mean with "movement system"???.

I have used both (E3d and RF) and as far as I can remember now, i wouldn't get anything from E3d.
TIME WILL PROVE THE DEPTH OF YOUR SOUL, BUT ONLY YOUR ACTIONS WILL SHOW IT'S WORTH
SucOcuS'08
metal_head

Post by metal_head »

Why is it poor? The player moves really, really smooth, and in RF when you start walking, the player starts walking immediately with full speed, that's not really reallistic, and what about climbing steep hills? In rf I've climbed REALLY, REALLY steep hills (almost vertical) with the speed of normal walking ,or if running, with the speed of running. Also RF has 2 collision bugs that E3D doesn't have, sometimes the player get's stuck in the ceiling, I don't know if you know about that bug, but is really annoying sometimes, and the other one is that the player gets stuck in walls when in air and the strafe + forward/backward button is pressed against the wall, that way the player can fall through verry high places and step on the ground without using theat bug, whitout getting a single HP from his health (and what about if the level is a tall building and you are on it's roof, and the ground isn't supposed to be stepped on ( the level will be only the roof, the ground and the other buildings will be background).
Theese are my problems, cuz my game has a lot of high places :(
And since E3D is closed, my main question is actually if we can use the movement and collision system or something ( I have no idea) and fix the current bugs in RF, whitout them RF will just be No. 1 for me (it is now actually :D).
But this is a really big problem for me, my game needs theese bugs out, and because it seems that I'm the only one, who has problems with theese bugs, I want to learn or I need an explanation on how to fix them (yes, Iknow that it will be hard and will need programming)
Zidane

Post by Zidane »

I used entidad3d for 5 years, I have made 4 games with entidad3d. I tell you that there is no entidad3d blend into the animations, the player he got stuck to walk hills, the player subtracts health to fall from heights small.
All bugs thah you say has only RF configurations are bad, you must configure PlayerSetup or use a good script player not to happen as you say.

Entidad3d is really poor in all aspects. I do not see any advantage over RF
metal_head

Post by metal_head »

No, it doesn't have any advantages, I'm sorry, you've got me wrong. I'm talking about the movement in first person, it's very smooth, I can't really explain what exactly it is, but the idle to walk and walk to idle in first person mode are...smooth - the player's speed increases when he starts walking and decreases when he stops walking, and in rf the player immediately starts moving with full speed and stops immediately (that is te one, that's not reallistc).
I can't use a scripted player yet, I don't have the skills to script a simple pawn yet. And I really don't know what I should change to remove theese collision bugs from my game. If somebody can help me... :)
Zidane

Post by Zidane »

metal_head wrote: the player's speed increases when he starts walking and decreases when he stops walking, and in rf the player immediately starts moving with full speed and stops immediately
In RF the solutions for that is use scripted player. And yo are wrong, in entidad3d the player's speed DON`T increases when he starts walking and DON`T decreases when he stops walking
metal_head

Post by metal_head »

I can't explain it :D....well... I'll try once again :D
When the player has stopped in E3D and the player presses the "W" button for example (to start walking) the player starts to walk smoothly and stops smoothly, in RF when the player starts walking (I'm talking about first person view), he suddenly starts to walk, in E3D the player fastly increases the speed (the increase time is about a second, only from stopped to walking) and when the button is no logner pressed, the same thing happesn, I'll make a video of this, to show you want I mean :)
Zidane

Post by Zidane »

Sorry butm you are totally wrong. When te player si stopped and you press W for walk or run, the velocity do not increased, do not smoothly. I dont understand why you said that
metal_head

Post by metal_head »

Ohh,never mind I can't explain it :(
If you want, launch E3D and start and stop walking , than lanch RF do the same and you'll see what is the difference.

Well, then what about the bugs? Theese bugs are really important for me to fix them, If I don't, the game will totally suck, because 65% of the game are heights and if the player know about theat bug, he could get to the ground withpout recieving a single damage, I know that I can make the ground a model and use a model state modifier, but that doesn't work for me :(

Sorry, this is really hard to explain all, I can't explain it on my own language as well :D
paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj »

E3D is not really closed. It is based on GTest which is the sample game that comes with Genesis 3D. The movement code is the GTest movement code. "Cheap" physics are applied to the player in GTest which is the gradual acceleration you see.
Many Bothans died to bring you this signature....
metal_head

Post by metal_head »

Yeah, I read that somewhere, but what is the difference between RF and Entity 3D? Is it graphical? Or physical?
And why E3D doesn't have theese colision bugs?
And...can you understand what I tried to explain about the movement above :D, I think it's not understandable :D
paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj »

That is because Entidad3D is mostly written by the authors of the Genesis 3D engine. The "author" of Entidad3D changed a few lines of code and redistributed it. Entidad does not hsve a scripting language like RF does which is the big difference.

I agree that RF movement is very sudden as oppsed to Entidad which is a bit more realistic. It would be a major change to implement that movement system in RF though. Personally, I think the right path is being taken to remedy this. The integration of a physics engine.
Many Bothans died to bring you this signature....
metal_head

Post by metal_head »

LOL...that's gonna be hard work and skills...I don't have skills, I hoped that it would be pssible to import some code from E3D...somehow,but never though that a whole Physics system will be needed :shock: .
Damn, so that means that RF will stay like that for a long time?