IOTW

Discuss any other topics here
metal_head

IOTW

Post by metal_head »

OK, I searched about this in the RF site, but couldn't find much information about it. How are theese Images of the week picked to be IOTWs? Do I have to upload mine somewhere for somesort of a contest, or the moderators just pick the shots they like best from the forums and put them in the IOTW page? :)
Juutis

Re: IOTW

Post by Juutis »

Man, I wish we actually had an Image Of The Week. Right now it seems to be more like Image Of The Year. :lol:
Pain is only psychological.
metal_head

Post by metal_head »

it seems to be more like Image Of The Year.
Ha-ha , than how do we pick the image of the year? :lol:
MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames »

I second that. Seems like it is image of the year. So lets start recruiting everyone we know and get them to join and start working on projects! I know I am working on some stuff for my project again, but I would only make next years image contest as I won't be able to show anything for at least another 6 months.
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.
metal_head

Post by metal_head »

Yay, let's everybody post cool screens from their projects and we can all choose 3 of all the screens that will go to the image of the YEAR :D
MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames »

I think it would be a great idea! Once it gets up and running it should help increase RF's popularity and increase the number of users. I know I like to see screens and renders when I am looking up game design things.

So what kind of images would be wanted? Renders in RF? Or renders in a 3D modeling program? And what about concept art? Would that be acceptable as well? I think it should contain all. Then if there are ties, you could break it into best concept art, best model and best in game render. Or if there are enough submissions, it could be broken down into those subcategories. Also, would it all be best organized into an images section on the forums? Just some things to think about if we get this idea up and running.
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.
metal_head

Post by metal_head »

Well, we can make this post sticky (with a little help from our kind moderators :lol: )
I think that it'll be best to post images from our games in RF. Theese images will show what can be made in RF (and that's the main Idea, don't you think :) ).

It's gonna be so cool if we get this thing running :idea:
MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames »

I agree, RF stuff should be the staple, but we also shouldn't discriminate against other art. I go to gamedev.net everyday just to see what people are working on. An images section may help boost the community just by having a centrally located place for images. That's just an idea though.
Think outside the box.
paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj »

Personally...I think the rules should be that only in-game screenshots of games made with RF should make the cut. This means...no editor shots, no modelling program shots...only shots made while playing the game.
Many Bothans died to bring you this signature....
metal_head

Post by metal_head »

Yep, that's what I think too!
And we can make another competition (let's say competition) for concepts, models and other stuff :)
paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj »

What would you win? :wink:
Many Bothans died to bring you this signature....
metal_head

Post by metal_head »

Well, for me, the biggest price to win is the others to like your achievement (not talking about only games and stuff).
So I say, you'd win applause :D
QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams »

I'm taking these images from the forums. If I can't find a new/good one there's no image of the week :wink:
You can of course send me your images and if you have enough stuff I may even open a separate gallery section for your screens. I've made this offer before but there was only poor feedback ...
As mentioned above, screens for the ITOW should only be in-game shots and should show more than just a few cubes thrown together ... :wink:
MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames »

What if our game project isn't going to be designed for RF but we use RF as a prototyping tool to test render environments/models? I will be waiting for RF2 to develop my game. So are prototype screens acceptable? My models will probably be very high polygon count for RF to handle and thus the image rendered would not reflect RF's ability to make games but rather to render images. Would say a room full of my game models and effects be a legal IOTW submission?
Think outside the box.