Free music for non-comercial use

Discuss any other topics here
Spyrewolf

Free music for non-comercial use

Post by Spyrewolf » Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:37 am

If your creating a game and you want to distribute it for free i hae found a free music site, they have liscencing agreements as well so if your publishing you game you can obtain rights to a song, at very reasonable rates too

they have a VERY good selection of tracks and are of professional quality

here's the liscencing agreement for free use
If you are using Freeplay Music for:

1. *Programming content to be included in an ASCAP, BMI or SESAC licensed National US TV Broadcast, as well as later rebroadcasts of the same within the US (EXCLUDES Local-only TV, regional only TV, Public and Community access TV, Closed Circuit TV, Web Broadcasts, Advertising Commercials or Promos, and any Radio Broadcast use.)
2. Feature-Length Films released by a major US film studio.
3. Private Non-Commercial Use (Non-revenue generating or associated) <- this is the one we fall under.
4. Educational, Non-Commercial use (limited to student use on school grounds and classroom - non broadcast)

Then Freeplay's musical compositions and recordings may be used (broadcast, synchronized and/or copied) without fee. These reproduction rights, known as master synchronization rights, are absolutely FREE and are granted in perpetuity, provided Freeplay is accorded appropriate screen credit as follows, on a most favored nations basis with all other music providers: "Music Provided By http://www.freeplaymusic.com". In addition, provided the first broadcast appears on a U.S. National Network Broadcast (non Cable Broadcast), then Videocassette/DVD Master Recording and Synchronization rights fees are also FREE.
well seems aight
and here's the link
http://www.freeplaymusic.com/

gekido

Creative Commons

Post by gekido » Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:19 am

There's also the ever-increasingly popular 'Creative Commons' licenses which are being used for music and other content.

check out more (including links to music & art licensed under a cc license) here:

http://www.creativecommons.org

Spyrewolf

Post by Spyrewolf » Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:37 am

GAH! scratch this i was a bit unsure of the licsence so i emailed the company...

this is what i got as a reply,
Per our Terms Of Use, using freeplay for shareware or freeware requires a
direct paid license with us - For what you described, since it is a
commercial use of our music the license would be $250.00 per freeplay song
title, per 10,000 units sold, manufactured or distributed ( downloaded,
etc..)
so this is an unusable source... sorry everybody i should have emailed them first before posting

however there licsence is still realitivly cheap but proablly out of most of our price range....

i'll check out that link you posted gek...

looks like its back to writing my own music again :roll:

dang it had some nice tracks too

gekido

the beauty of creative commons

Post by gekido » Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:41 am

http://creativecommons.org/audio/

this is the beauty of creative commons licensing - free actually means free!

it's basically taking the rules of 'open source' and applying it to creative works such as audio, video, graphics, even fonts - if you want to distribute fonts in your game, you need to license those fonts for reuse - even so called 'common' fonts such as arial etc have licensing rules that need to abided by

there have been a couple of full cd's of creative common's music released recently - worth checking out for anyone looking for so-called 'free' music for their games...

Spyrewolf

Post by Spyrewolf » Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:06 am

Actually that link you've provided is pretty good!

cool thanks for the better alternative,

typicall with alot of websites i visit for audio it say's it free .......yeah free if you buy overpriced software/CD's...

well i'm gonna download some tracks and see how they fit in with the scheme of things! cheer gekido.

gekido

alot more than just on that site

Post by gekido » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:45 pm

creative commons is more than just that site - there are hundreds of artists (musical and otherwise) that have been releasing their works under a CC-license these days.

there are entire record labels dedicated to Creative Commons music for example:

http://ccmixter.org/

It's quite the movement these days - that one site has almost 700 songs available under the CC license, and it's just one of many that are popping up

it's basically a counter-culture to the RIAA's evil empire approach that they've been doing as of late - instead of punishing people for liking your music, reward them...what a novelty ;}

jonas

Post by jonas » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:47 pm

Here's a site vgmusic I don't think its for commercial use thou. Got some cool music!
Jonas

Focused, hard work is the real key to success. Keep your eyes on the goal, and just keep taking the next step towards completing it. If you aren't sure which way to do something, do it both ways and see which works better. - John Carmack

Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay » Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:48 pm

The problem with MIDIs is that they can sound differently on different computer, they even sound different on different keyborads. Also a sythesither will NEVER EVER sound as good as a real musician.
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----