Next-Gen Gamer's Manifesto

Discuss any other topics here
gekido

Next-Gen Gamer's Manifesto

Post by gekido » Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:20 am

http://www.pointlesswasteoftime.com/gam ... festo.html

Top 10 things that Gamers want in next-gen games...

Spyrewolf

Post by Spyrewolf » Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:49 am

mean, let's face it: strategy is all that guy's got going for him. He has no limbs and he's already on fire.
HAHA this is an awsome link comical but true in the same respect nice find
that quote i posted made me laugh

HAHA still reading this is great!
When we're on our deathbeds, we're going to wish we could reclaim the time we spent wandering around for save points long after we were done playing every night. Imagine if your word processing program did this, refusing to let you save your progress until you typed six more paragraphs. Or, made you retype your last paragraph six times while zombies tried to shoot your cursor...

gekido

rules to design by

Post by gekido » Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:38 am

as funny as it is - these are rules that every one of us should seriously be looking at when designing our games...

on a similar vein are the 'bad designer no twinkie' columns on gamasutra...definitely some good 'rules to design by' when planning your games...

i'm as guilty of them as anyone

Master

Post by Master » Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:26 pm

If I were making a game for a next gen console with state of the art graphics and selling it for 50 bucks a pop...then I would worry about it.

Lone Warrior!

Post by Lone Warrior! » Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:59 pm

Well, I learned a hell of a lot today. No crates, more intelligent AI and a lot of weapons and special powers to start with!

Not to mention money... :lol:

GD1

Post by GD1 » Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:02 am

I agree with several of the points he has, but you have to realize this is mostly a joke article, so a lot of it is just him talking crap. There are actually situations where only a crate would be acceptable.

The "effects of Halo 2 on the criminal mind" article is really funny as well.

(not for children though, due to very strong language and suggestive themes)
Check out my band
Tougher Than Fort Knox

wackedoutbiker

Post by wackedoutbiker » Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:23 pm

Yeah, but you have no idea how many of those experiences I had. I HATE CRATES, CRAPPY CARS AND MOST OF ALL INVINCIBLE GUYS YOU HAVE TO FIGHT AND LOSE TO JUST BECAUSE IT ADVANCES THE PLOT OF THE GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AND THERE AREN'T ENOUGH COOL FEMALE CHARACTERS IN GAMES!!!! JUST WHINY ONES YOU HAVE TO SAVE EVERY FEW SECONDS!!!! IT'S INSULTING!!!!!!

Sorry to rant, but many of those things are my pet peeves when it comes to games. :?
More atrocities are committed in the name of that which is holy and righteous than that which is wicked and evil

Spyrewolf

Post by Spyrewolf » Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:37 pm

'bad designer no twinkie' columns on gamasutra
Yeah! ernest adams is very good at pointing out general gamer frustration those columns are very good,
I HATE CRATES,
until i read these articles i never really noticed crates, now i see them all the time and can't believe how many games resort to

"hmm.....what do i put here...i know A CRATE!"

GD1

Post by GD1 » Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:43 pm

yeah, but i was just saying though, a crate would fit in some circumstances, but not to the extent that they're used.

BTW, what do you mean not enough female charcters? at least 70% of player characters are female. check out Dead or Alive, or Perfect Dark.
Check out my band
Tougher Than Fort Knox

SithMaster

Post by SithMaster » Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:50 pm

I think crates have only the purpose of supplying cover from enemies. But if they are just there to take up space then they arent needed. An example would be those flat ones that serve no purpose. Before i was all excited im getting an xbox 360 now more like so wait if microsoft left out all that unless stuff then i would be paying like 100 dollars on the system not 300. But i guess i can get back at them by only getting halo 3 and most likely quake 4 and maybe gears of war. Otherwise everything is the same.

Although i have to say im one of the few who go back to play old games. Unreal tournament goty, dark forces, jedi knight, all three marathons which i recently downloaded, quake 2, rebellion, and some others. I dont buy the new stuff which isnt really that new and think that the game they remade only with some different graphics and characters cant replace the ones i have.
The brightest light casts the darkest shadow.
Burn the heretic. Kill the mutant. Purge the unclean.

Master

Post by Master » Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:37 am

Although i have to say im one of the few who go back to play old games.
You and I are of a rare breed. True gamers. I recently bought Doom 3 collectors edition for the xbox. It came with Ultimate Doom 1, and Doom 2. I played doom 3 for like 5 minutes... I ended up playing doom 2 for like 2 months straight.

Real Gamers Never Forget Their Roots...