3DGS Website needs updating

Discuss any other topics here
AndyCR

3DGS Website needs updating

Post by AndyCR » Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:10 pm

take a look at the rf section here:

http://www.conitec.net/a4faq.htm

i think someone needs to e-mail them and give them a little update on rf's progress...

gekido

heh

Post by gekido » Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:35 pm

yeah i noticed that a while back - their whole rating of RF is just wrong.

Almost every single entry is wrong:

Price: Free (and always has been). Commercial version was 79 but this was only for extra resources & documentation

publishing restrictions: none and never have been. sure to remove the genesis 3d logo there are restrictions, but this hasn't stopped innumerable RF-based games to be published over the past few years

renderer: directx7 AND directx6 are provided

LOD system: yes

terrain: yes

shadow mapping: yes

dynamic shadows: yes, multiple types

beam generator: yes and always has

glow effects: this isn't a 'feature', but depending on how you count it, we have corona's, and numerous other things that can be done to create glow type effects

facial animation: if you add bones to your character's face, you have facial animation. not to mention you have the source code to do whatever else you want,f eature wise

save / load system: yes and always has

expandable: you have the source code to every single line of the application - how is this NOT expandable as they try to claim?

physics engine: yes, multiple types

script editor: all scripts are is text files - open notepad and you have a 'script editor', with that said, i have script parsers created for scite (the 'rf script editor'), another open-source program

script compiler: not needed

so, yeah they are a bit off in many of their claims. if the community wants to email them to correct these things, there is an email listed on the site - go nuts ;}

Not to mention the hundreds of other things that RF has that gamestudio doesn't have:

radiosity lighting: yes

configurable weapons systems : yes

stencil shadows: yes

etc...etc...etc...