If it's possible.
57%
I can live without it.
29%

Total votes: 7

Kamazy

Exrta comands

Post by Kamazy » Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:24 pm

I was wondering is there was any way to make the player\actor stick to the wall like "Splitner Cell" or "Metal Gear" or give them exrta actions like repeling from buildings using zip lines grab a enemy like splinter cell crawl in side ducts ........ just some way to make the actor\player do mare than walk, run, jump and climb ladders and about the ladders can't i make him have to press a button and lock his is the midle of ladder so it looks like his hands are actualy touching the ladder. Not That i Dan't think This Engine is Great but I at least wan't to make a game that can compete with games out there.

GD1

Post by GD1 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:56 pm

i personally didn't like Splinter Cells control system. i think something like it would be good if it could be made to function more efficiently though.

dont count on this working out in RF though. I'd wait for Beyond Virtual and program my own control system.
Check out my band
Tougher Than Fort Knox

AndyCR

Post by AndyCR » Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:00 pm

you can do this with a scripted player (a player that is really a pawn)

Kamazy

Post by Kamazy » Sun Aug 07, 2005 4:06 pm

What do you mean a player that is a pawn and are there any tutorials for this.

Master

Post by Master » Sun Aug 07, 2005 4:46 pm

What do you mean a player that is a pawn
He means a Pawn entity that is scripted to respond to key strokes and has the camera attached to it, like it is the real player. This enables you to do many things that aren't programmed into the default player. The genericplayer.s script that comes with RF is an example. I'm sure hike1's site (don't know the link) has a tutorial.

gekido

generic player

Post by gekido » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:22 am

there are a couple of demo's that have script pawns setup as the controllable player actor.

there is a 'genericplayer.s' script with instructions put together by dan valeo - the original demonstration of this kind of thing.

federico also put together a demo script that is basically the splintercell control scheme for controlling your character as well

adding things like rappelling down walls etc are just one-shot triggered pawns that you can 'use' to activate specific actions in the game.

for the rappel example - you would have the top 'pawn' which the player would walk up to and 'use'

once the pawn is used, you call 'hideplayer' and teleport your player pawn to the location of the player.

once the pawn is in place, trigger the 'begin rappell' animation and then read input from the player for the up/down movements etc

any kind of special interactions like this that you want to add to your game can be done with scripting - it's not the easiest to get a handle on, but all of the scripting commands that you would need to setup anything you saw in splintercell is available in rf.

splintercell is probably a perfect example of the kind of game that you could do easily in RF with a team of good artists.

small environments, designed ideally for the engine, lots of unique interactions and scripting - through to the full motion video & machinima anything you saw in splinter cell can be done with RF

well...'almost' anything - now that i think about it, there are a few cloth/curtain physics things that it had that would be difficult but not impossible to do with the current release of RF, but it sounds like nout is taking care of adding physics to rf so that will be feasible soon as well.

something that you have to realize is that RF is a 'toolkit' that allows you to make your games. the programmers have provided a completely customizable system that can be modified via scripting to create just about any kind of gameplay you could want to do - but we can't begin to know what ALL of the possibilities that people could want in their gameplay...hence the scripting system

MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames » Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:20 am

Scripted players are very useful. That is how I plan to make my duel weilding weapon system. I actually do not plan to use standard players in any game I make. I like the flexibility of the scripted player. And if you need to program a scripted player, check out my post on RF key codes in the Scripting forum. With those you can program the "player"(aka: pawn) to do whatever you want. Because of the scripting system, ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE (well everything but an advanced physics systems, but that is coming!). All you have to do is figure out how to do it.

Here is my post on keycodes.
viewtopic.php?t=30
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.

Kamazy

Post by Kamazy » Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:30 pm

Really Thank's this should allow me to do all the things i did't think were possible in RF. One More thing I Made a cross bow it works fine but the arrow (projectile) dosn't change angle I mean when i shoot an arrow up it dosn't change angle and i see it's bottom not its back :? .

Kamazy

Post by Kamazy » Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:51 pm

Thanks for the key code but what i really need is a tutorial on how to script in RF.

MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames » Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:47 am

If you get a chance, swing by the Docs page and snag the latest RF manual. There will be sections on pawns and scritping them(look for the PawnScripting file). Then use that info to program scripted players. 8)
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.

Kamazy

Post by Kamazy » Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:17 pm

Yea i got the manual it gives information on what the comands do but not how to put it all together.

Kamazy

Post by Kamazy » Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:52 pm

Oh and about the arrow thing the problem was that if you'r model isn't rotated in to place when you make the .act and you edit it in the projectile properties it won't rotate right in the game. my rotation was 0 90 0 so it rotated left and right not up and down. I'm trying to script some simple enemies. I'll try the player script when i know how to script more. Thank's for all the help. :D