Is it possible to make a good game in RF without physics?

Discuss any other topics here
wackedoutbiker

Is it possible to make a good game in RF without physics?

Post by wackedoutbiker » Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:23 am

Because we don't seem to have any, and I was wondering what I should emphasize in a game to compensate for the lack of the latest graphical or AI features.

Opinions?
More atrocities are committed in the name of that which is holy and righteous than that which is wicked and evil

Voltare

Post by Voltare » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:03 am

Make sure to sharpen your textures.......if you have buildings, add the little details, like if you have a medieval house, make sure that the wooden pieces that frame the stucco stick out a bit; not just textures.

And if you think Rf is incapable of great, modern-style graphics :http://www.frogfaith.com/folsom/shot.html made with RF........

and check out federico posts for the physics stuff........

shadow

Re: Is it possible to make a good game in RF without physics

Post by shadow » Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:28 pm

wackedoutbiker wrote:or AI features.
RF has a great scripting language and the AI possibilities is limited to your imagination.

What do you mean about AI features?

wackedoutbiker

Post by wackedoutbiker » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:46 pm

Well, those are some decent screens, but hte stairway railings seem a bit flat (I guess it's just a flat polygon) and the textures could use a little sharpening in some of the shots...but other than that it looks awesome!

And about AI: I meant like having troops take cover and shoot back at you from behind stuff instead of the heroic but doomed cavalry charge I see in most games. Waht's the best AI script available right now? (to experiment with)

And about physics: is there some kind of patch I can download to implement the ragdoll thing in RF 075C?

If not, I suppose I can switch over to RF2 when it's out. But for now, I'll work on the rest of the game. RF2 still uses the same scripting language right?
More atrocities are committed in the name of that which is holy and righteous than that which is wicked and evil

zany_001

Post by zany_001 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:53 pm

I believe rf2 uses python, tho i dont know for sure
Once I was sad, and I stopped being sad and was awesome instead.
True story.

psYco

Post by psYco » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:53 pm

Yep the new scripting language of RF2 is indeed python. :)

@wackedoutbiker: I personally try and concentrate on innovation and being different, maximise the graphics you can get with RF and pay attention to the detail also unless your willing (or capable) to write great AI scripts (as Juutis has prooven IS possible) you should rather try and either use enemys cleverly less or not at all, perhaps subsititute great AI with great game play :)

Voltare

Post by Voltare » Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:48 am

it shouldn't be that hard to script a npc that ducks and/or covers occasionally, and also runs from you if it gets low on life......

SithMaster

Post by SithMaster » Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:43 am

I havent gotten around to trying it but there is a level made by a resident rf member that supposedly has good path finding.
The brightest light casts the darkest shadow.
Burn the heretic. Kill the mutant. Purge the unclean.

wackedoutbiker

Post by wackedoutbiker » Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:30 pm

Yeah, well I think that for those of us who want to experiment with physics there should be a patch or module you can add to any current RF build. That way it would be easier for us to mess with it...

And I think there's a PerfectAI thing I have with good pathfinding...was it Juutis or uman who posted it?

And as a side note: I am mostly working on the game's story and setup right now anyway. But any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated.

Juutis

Post by Juutis » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:42 pm

And I think there's a PerfectAI thing I have with good pathfinding...was it Juutis or uman who posted it?
Wasn't me. I think it was uman.

What kind of 'helpful advice' would you like to have, exactly? Like, advice concerning RF overall, or ideas for story, gameplay etc... ?
Pain is only psychological.

wackedoutbiker

Post by wackedoutbiker » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:23 pm

Well, I was thinking of having a nonlinear storyline that changes according to what you do in the game. But I'm more concerned with gameplay.

Well, I think I have a copy of perfectAI. I'll experiment with it.

I would also like people to list things in games they hate (like jumping puzzles in FPS's) and things they find frustrating (like posting no warning signs in a Mayan temple with slicing blades and spikes popping out of the floor and getting splattered anyway, that kind of thing)

psYco

Post by psYco » Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:30 pm

things i hate:

jumping puzzels in FPSs
pointless crates
dying
levels on rails
lack of cover
lack of ammo (unless its a survival horrer)
level desighners who dont have an imagination
starting out with a knife/wrench (seriously WTF?!?)
things MAGICALLY spawning behind me
AI with autoaiming turned on
bleeding and needing bandages (again WTF?!?!)
things that ruin ambience (like in a "realistic" game, mutants/aliens join the party)
a boring arsenal
boring plots there for the soul purpose to feul playing (this can be forgiven if the actual game play is amazing)

well this is a list of things i hate... You probably hate these things aswell, but anyway hope this is what you were looking for :)

darksmaster923

Post by darksmaster923 » Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:19 am

psYco wrote: bleeding and needing bandages (again WTF?!?!)
things that ruin ambience (like in a "realistic" game, mutants/aliens join the party)
bleeding and need bandages? well some people want realistic games.
LOL! realistic game and a mutant joins u? wat game is that?
Herp derp.

psYco

Post by psYco » Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:43 pm

Well, I personally love realistic games (I do enjoy a bit of insane fun eg UT but i do like a good "realistic game") now first off, in games when do you use bandages generally? When you get shot right? well if "realistic games" are ment to simulate "real" life then HOW THE HELL DOES A BANDAGE FIX A BULLET WOUND? in "real"life getting shot, 90% of the time means, being crippled, being brain damaged and the big favourite being dead... you "really" dont get shot in the face wap a bandaid on and keep soldiering on.

next about the mutants which kinda connects to the bandage thing, cause im talking about farcry, which had a "realistic" difficulty setting I think it came just after insanely difficult on the list :) but i loved it, getting shot made you become DEAD as is "realistic" and shooting people (even with those trusty bulletproof vests that make you a tank in most other games) made them dead, or at least severly close to being dead :twisted: now i was really enjoying the game albeit the werid and wonderful hollywood esq. plot but then all of a sudden there was freaking MUTANTS ALL OVER THE BLOODY PLACE! that i suppose "realistically" tore you open with one swipe, but THEN take over a hundred bullets to kill! and I know from reaserch that 100 bullets is alot, so yeah mutants = bad idea for game plot :?

Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay » Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:01 pm

Yes that's also a thing i don't like on some games: The bosses where you just throw in bullets and bullets and bullets in their stomach / head and they just don't die! well it's ok that the bosses are hard, but they should NOT be boring! bosses that have something special (like they are relatively easy to kill but are really skilled to balance that) or do something with their environment (like they throw thinghs at you that you have to shoot to pieces, maybe when a yeti or something like that may come) or when you can do something with the environment (like you can shoot on iceshards on the ceiling to come down to the monster/enemy) are much more interesting.

So, boring bosses are something that i really dislike on games.
Oh and jumping puzzles are somewhat boring too and can go on your nerves if you don't manage them.
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----