Curious if this violates the EULA

Discuss any other topics here
ChaotischerApostel

Curious if this violates the EULA

Post by ChaotischerApostel » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:56 am

I origonaly wasnt goin to make a game because its to time consuming but then i came up with this great idea..........but it seems stupid that you would be violating the EULA for things against race/religion. I know it might sound wrong to alot of you but thats human nature. Also i think its too broad. For example the game I was interested in making was a game about todays modern war on terror. My game would therfore violate the EULA because the game would be aimed at killing terrorist who are only following there Muslim religion in witch they shall pass to heavon opon the killing of what they belive to be inferior races/religions. Just like a WWII game would most likly be about the killing of Nazis/Facists/Imperial Japanize. And further back in history the crusades were the Muslims were still only fufilling there belifes by killing what they believe to be inferior races/religions. History teachers are right about history repeating its self.

But I belive I have gotten my piont across. I am not trying to say that forsay games about mudering mexicans/blacks/whites (waterver race you want in there). But that the rule is too broad.
Great Band

AndyCR

Post by AndyCR » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:34 am

I can't comment on it since I haven't read the EULA recently, but moved to General Discussions.

LtForce

Post by LtForce » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:51 am

Yeah, I agree with that last phrase. In today's world religion takes too much place. I don't really think that terrorists fight for religion. If they would, they wouldn't be killing thei own people. Good thing I'm not religious. Going to church and stuff...BTW, there are a lot of games about killing terrorists. Only thing you got to do is make you game in imaginery town or country and fight against imaginery group of terrorists.
Lithuanians for Georgia!

Juutis

Post by Juutis » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:10 am

LtForce wrote:I don't really think that terrorists fight for religion. If they would, they wouldn't be killing thei own people.
If you mean suicide bombings and stuff like that with 'killing their own people' then I think religion is exactly why they do it. I know I would not sacrifice myself for the greater good unless I had a very good reason, and for these people, I believe, religion is good enough.

Anyway, I think it's OK to make a game about fighting terrorists if the killing is justified. Like you have to fight for your life and it's either you or them who dies. Also, I don't see fighting armed terrorists as 'intentionally propagating genocide'. In my opinion what the EULA prohibits is, for example, to make a game where you have to kill every Muslim civilian in a city full of all kinds of people.

NOTE: These are all my own opinions, and I may be completely wrong.
Pain is only psychological.

QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:42 am

The license is there for a good reason. We learned this the hard way in the past when the image of the engine was damaged seriously by a so called "hate game". Don't get me wrong, I condemn any terrorist activities no matter what reason they may have. But considering your username and the topic you've chosen I think the subject of your game idea may be problematic even if it may not violate the license.
Personally I think such games are superfluous, since you can have the same game play without refering to today's real world. So the only reason for such games that I can see is the intention to be provocative or the lack of imagination.
The general character of the restriction in the license is necessary to cover all possible aspects of the subject and to protect everyone involved with Reality Factory from harm. 3D Game Studio for example uses the exact same phrase in its license.

PS: the 2nd image in your sig was too large - removed

scott

Post by scott » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:05 am

i am having terrorism in my game, but as juutis said, i am not basing it on any real religion, any real place and in the future, i never even thought about eula as i saw the way i was doing it would effect no one at all but added depth to my games story about the only things that are related to the real world is it is on planet earth and the countryit is based in.

if when making a game and you have to ask a question like this i do belive that its a bad idea, in america they are getting people that have made a mod of their school ofr UT or half life, so somone is defenetly gona make a fuss over a game like this.

IF you was to go ahead and make this game i would be VERY careful and do lots of research, to get both sides story, that is when alot of trouble happens, just dont do it as you see terrorist as it is probably wrong.
*GD*

Juutis

Post by Juutis » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:43 am

scott wrote:i am having terrorism in my game, but as juutis said, i am not basing it on any real religion, any real place and in the future
I think you mean QoD. :wink:

I agree with you guys, it's better to make up the places and people than to use already existing ones. That way you can't hurt people as much.
Putting the game into real world, however, does bring a nice bit of realism.
Last edited by Juutis on Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

LtForce

Post by LtForce » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:45 am

Juutis wrote:If you mean suicide bombings and stuff like that with 'killing their own people' then I think religion is exactly why they do it.
Islam religion is supposed to be peaceful not 'self-bombing-others-killing religion. And you really think it'll make any 'greater good'? Terrorists can't win this war. There are two options: normal world wins and terrorists lose or nobody wins.
Lithuanians for Georgia!

scott

Post by scott » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:46 am

sorry yea your right it was QoD :shock:
*GD*

Juutis

Post by Juutis » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:12 pm

LtForce wrote:Islam religion is supposed to be peaceful not 'self-bombing-others-killing religion. And you really think it'll make any 'greater good'? Terrorists can't win this war. There are two options: normal world wins and terrorists lose or nobody wins.
Christians are supposed to be peaceful too, and yet they have fought wars and killed people throughout the history in the name of their religion. But let's not go offtopic and start discussing why people blow themselves up, especially when the information we have is based on a hunch. :P

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:44 pm

No religion supports terrorism therefore fighting terrorists cannot breach the EULA from that point of view. As long as the religions are not named that is. Terrorists can be alien creatures, humanoids or even some sort of plant life, take your pick. Publish and be damned as the famous saying goes.

LtForce

Post by LtForce » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:49 pm

Juutis wrote:
LtForce wrote:Islam religion is supposed to be peaceful not 'self-bombing-others-killing religion. And you really think it'll make any 'greater good'? Terrorists can't win this war. There are two options: normal world wins and terrorists lose or nobody wins.
Christians are supposed to be peaceful too, and yet they have fought wars and killed people throughout the history in the name of their religion. But let's not go offtopic and start discussing why people blow themselves up, especially when the information we have is based on a hunch. :P
Last offtopic from my side: I'm not saying that only Islam is bad. In my opiniom if there wouldn't be any religions thare wouldn't be alot of bad thing. Wayt to go atheists! And you might guess why I hate religions mostly: there were a lot of times when my mom saw me playing seriuos sam with my brother through LAN and she heard me screaming: "look how I splaterred that son of a nice woman!". And my mom said: one day God will punish you for this. Man I was sooo angry
Lithuanians for Georgia!

AndyCR

Post by AndyCR » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:02 pm

This could get ugly...

scott

Post by scott » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:16 pm

yep, they say the 2 worst things to talk about is religion and polotics... well we are half way there, and im keeping my mouth shut to prevent this getting wors, lol.

ltforce: i found ur post so funny, i dont come from a religous family so i had none of that.
*GD*

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:28 pm

This thread wasn't about religion but it could get ugly. I think QOD should lock the the thread now before that happens.