reality factory

Discuss any other topics here
scott

reality factory

Post by scott » Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:16 am

what is the difference between rfedit, rfedit pro and world edit.
i started on genesis3d, then found out about rf and so i am not too familiar with rf, but know how to do basic functions with it. it has came along way from genesis.
*GD*

jonas

Post by jonas » Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:59 am

i'm not sure I think worldedit is a genisis level editor rfedit and rfedit pro were made for realityfactory. If your wanting a tutorial go to andycr site
someone correct me if I'm wrong about the level editors!
Jonas

Focused, hard work is the real key to success. Keep your eyes on the goal, and just keep taking the next step towards completing it. If you aren't sure which way to do something, do it both ways and see which works better. - John Carmack

QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams » Sat Jul 09, 2005 2:44 am

what is the difference between rfedit, rfedit pro and world edit.
Each of them can be used as level editor for RF and all 3 are based on the original Genesis3D editor GEdit; so they all have basically the same features but slightly different designs/interfaces
The most advanced/stable is RFEdit Pro so its the only one included in the current install. If you want to try one of the other editors you can download them from http://qdgames.5gigs.com/downloads_e.htm

gekido

World Edit is indeed an RF/Genesis editor

Post by gekido » Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:58 am

World Edit was one of the first of the community-contributed Editors that came out.

The main differences between the 3 editors are:
- Interface changes (placement of buttons, improvements, each has their own quirks)
- keyboard shortcuts (i personally found the worldedit shortcuts to be the most intuitive, they are all nice & close together)
- features (world edit has an integrated texture pack tool so you can add/remove textures on the fly, rf edit pro has it's own additions for file export, actor viewing & much more, etc)

the 'main' rf editor is rf edit pro, but they all do the same thing & read the same gameentitydatatypes.h entities file and use the same gbsp.dll bsp compiler to create the final game .bsp files, so it's really up to you to decide which one 'feels' easier to use with how you work.

Most people find RF Edit Pro easier to get a handle on, especially if you have done any worldcraft/hammer editing in the past.