3D engines

Discuss any other topics here
jonas

Re: 3D engines

Post by jonas » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:33 am

Trougedoor122 wrote:
darksmaster923 wrote:What about Panda3d? This engine is awesome

http://panda3d.org
downloading right now.. whoa 80meg installer!
Panda3d is definitely an interesting engine, if you have the patience to learn it and search/read through the forums(yes searching and reading. But I guess that's true for rf too.) and check out the wiki you can get started with out even having to post a thing. Very well documented. Seems its being worked on by Carnegie Mellon University which are the same people that did alice, which btw appears to be about to undergo a major overhaul. EA is partnered with them and Alice will have sims 2 models available. More Here.
Jonas

Focused, hard work is the real key to success. Keep your eyes on the goal, and just keep taking the next step towards completing it. If you aren't sure which way to do something, do it both ways and see which works better. - John Carmack

Allanon

Post by Allanon » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:34 pm

Just found the Ca3d engine, it seems to have all the makings of a good engine, I'm downloading it now. But be warned their standard license is $325 per programmer.

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:22 am

Many Bothans died to bring you this signature....

Sph!nx

Post by Sph!nx » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:47 pm

Leadwerks looks pretty good. I know of it a little, cause I use the world editor build by the same people.

Anyway, I recently bough Blitz3D. Its not really an engine, but a language, a form of BASIC, specially designed to make games. It's quite stable and very powerful. I know, you have to know coding ... trust me, its not that hard! (In Blitz anyway! :P)

Currently building my own FPS engine. Adding full 'real time' body support, like more modern games like F.E.A.R and such, atm. That kinda explains my sudden disappearance here. lol
Regards Sph!nx

Sven Co-op, DevEd: Development & Editing

GMer

Post by GMer » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:40 am

The "GameCore Multiplayer Demo" could be somewhat done in reality factory, though with lots of .tga's and LOD's.
I know a game engine that can make 2-d and 3-d games. -"Game Maker 7.0"-The unregistered version is free, but it costs $20 for the registration key... here is the homepage:
http://www.yoyogames.com
I have some games there under the author "GMer56" (yeah, I had to add a 56 to it, someone already had it :cry: )
Over 3 years (has it been that long?) and just now I noticed the day and month of my birthday were switched. Whoops!

Some 2d games I made, haven't made anything in a year though O.o
http://www.yoyogames.com/users/GMer56

Pickles

Post by Pickles » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:05 pm

"It's nowhere near perfect yet."

You ain't kidding. It still needs a tonne of work. And I don't remember anyone saying my models suck, but yeah they do. (I'm no modeller.)

But I've still been playing with RF and to me is still one of the best and the quickest to learn game engines around.
However I've been on a break since I've had a first born son in October and have just begun to find some free time on the weekends. (Not more then an hour or two.)

Anyways, FreeVector is getting some much needed improvements like curved paths, a world editor and better collision detection. But for anyone begining game dev, RF is still the way to go. It's fast, easy and free. And it worls on almost any system regardless of the hardware. But if you are an advanced game developer (whatever that is?) you should check out XNA managed code. It's as easy as using Visual Basic, if not easier.

Anyways, nice looking forum.

GMer

Post by GMer » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:01 am

http://cubeengine.com/
Good for N00bs (like me!)
Over 3 years (has it been that long?) and just now I noticed the day and month of my birthday were switched. Whoops!

GMer

Post by GMer » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:45 pm

I don't mean to "Necropost" and double-post but I found this:

http://www.multiverse.net/index.html

A MMORPG engine that is free as long as you do not charge your players, if you do the company charges 10% of the revenues you make. Plus the company will (I think) handle the transactions too! Just to enter the development forums you need to register (free!)

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:32 pm

www.sauerbraten.org

This is Cube 2. I personally don't like the Cube Engine series. It is not very user friendly.
Many Bothans died to bring you this signature....

Allanon

Post by Allanon » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:41 pm

I am in the process of downloading a world from Multiverse but it's taking forever. But what I did notice is that if you don't charge or display ads then it is totally free to use which is a good thing if you just want to test it. The bad part is they don't host the worlds so you will need to pay for a server.

Edit: Took me about 15 min to download the RoboSnow world and then it wouldn't connect because the server wasn't running. They are not making a good first impression. Downloading Multiverse Places world now, hoping for better results.

Edit: Took about 10 min to load the world and then It asked me to create an avatar which I did but when trying to save the avatar it throw an exception and wouldn't save it so I couldn't continue. This experience has made me not want to use Multiverse.

aidan

Post by aidan » Sun May 24, 2009 8:45 am

Just tried the new Gamecore Release and cant complain. I think the casual version will suit my projects fine, but have come to love some of the effects and features in the indie version. Free demo is available at http://www.gamecore3d.com
I am comparing multiple engines at this point, but the ease I got stuff working impresses me, specifically in the art pipleine(animated models integrated SO MUCH easier than Unity, and I didn't think that possible). Haven t tested anything complex on the scripting side other than tutorials and script functions provided, but so far I am impressed.

Allanon

Post by Allanon » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:39 pm

If you want to make an RTS then check out the Spring Engine.

Agentarrow

Post by Agentarrow » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:03 am

I'm going to buy a newer engine for myself ($200 for an indie license) called Unity It has capability for creating PC, web, iPod Touch, and Wii games all in its simplified editor. Reminds me a lot of RF, while remaining amazing in my opinion. Not sure what I'll make with it but Terra Trooper may be a go again now that I will have an engine powerful enough for what I originally planned.
AgentArrow Home
The greater good is but a point of view...

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:19 pm

Unity looks good but $200 for indie and no non-commercial licence, NeoAxis is free for non_commercial and the indie licence is only $100 and of course RF2 coming next year is open source.

Allanon

Post by Allanon » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:43 am

3D RAD is now free for commercial and non-commercial use.