3D engines

Discuss any other topics here
Allanon

3D engines

Post by Allanon » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:31 am

Post 3d engines you think other might not know about. Compare them to RF and give pros and cons. Also give your first impression of the engine. I will start:

I was looking around the web for other game engines and found 3dCakeWalk. It seems to be equal or maybe better than RF when it comes to features. Has anyone tried it? I know it is $35 for basic version and a $100 for full pro version but that is cheap for a good engine. I tried the 3dCakeWalk Demo and it seems to work alright. Their demo didn't have a full game but I did try a few of their samples and was impressed that the graphics were as good as RF. What do you think of 3dCakeWalk?

NOTE: The password to the demo is 3dcw

I also found Antiryad Gx . It seems to be a free multi-platform engine. It looks like it has all the tools needed to create a game. The editor is a bit odd, it looks like an old DOS application that take up the entire screen but that is probably because it was written to be used in different operating systems. It has a basic scripting language and the screenshots on the website look good. I got errors when trying to compile the sample level but I might have missed doing something before compiling. I didn't look at the manual or instructions. It looks like you can make a game by just doing stuff in the editor just like RF but I didn't play with it enough to find out. Tell me what you think.

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Re: 3D engines

Post by paradoxnj » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:41 pm

Many Bothans died to bring you this signature....

Allanon

Post by Allanon » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:25 am

Good find paradoxnj, seems you can pretty much make an entire game without paying any money up front then you can pay the $99 for an Indie License if you want to sell the game.

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:27 pm

There is also Blade3D which is XNA based. I don't like the pricing scheme though. It's a monthly charge.
Many Bothans died to bring you this signature....

Destron

Post by Destron » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:23 pm

paradoxnj wrote:There is also Blade3D which is XNA based. I don't like the pricing scheme though. It's a monthly charge.
WTF? A monthly charge for a game engine? How does that even work?

Allanon

Post by Allanon » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:58 pm

WTF? A monthly charge for a game engine? How does that even work?
I think when you pay the first month you have access to everything they offer and can download it all plus have support but if you want continued updates and access to new assets plus support then you continue to pay monthly fees. If you stop the subscription you no longer can get updates and support but you can use what you have to create a game. At least that how I think it works.

Allanon

Post by Allanon » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:47 am

Luxinia is another interesting engine that uses LUA scripting language. It's not for commercial use yet, they are waiting for version 1.0, but you can download and use it for non-commercial use.

ardentcrest

Post by ardentcrest » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:37 pm

Try this site on for size

http://www.ambrosine.com/resource.html

the best list in town
He's a Bot Jim, But not as we know It.

Allanon

Post by Allanon » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:21 am

I found the XVP engine which is not released yet but they are looking for beta testers. If you become a tester you get a free commercial license when they reach version 1.0. Might be worth testing:

http://www.seventhnightstudios.com/developers.htm

Allanon

Post by Allanon » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:14 am

The Apocalyx engine is a open source engine that was used to create the open source gamesGun-Tactyx and JRobots. I haven't tried doing anything with the engine yet but I did play the demos which were pretty cool. It includes the source code and has a GNU license.

Here is a link to a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydXe7ePtfwE

ZenBudha

Post by ZenBudha » Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:47 pm

I've used Antiryad it has some nice features, and some missing features. Not a lot of activity so it's a real solo ninja operation.
Fear not the textures for the almighty stylus is with thee - Book of Zen

zany_001

Post by zany_001 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:43 am

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
IT'S ZENBUDHA!!!!
man, it's been like 2 years since you've been here.Watcha been up to?
Once I was sad, and I stopped being sad and was awesome instead.
True story.

slin

Post by slin » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:59 am

Hey guys here we go the controversial engine!!!!

K I know this guy ripped on you guys for awhile, but he built one fricken kick -insert word of choice here- Engine!

I personally like it.

http://www.bookshock.com/software/frv/freevector.html

Check it out! freevector by pickles!

Crazy good engine although no real editor for it. A bit more like darkbasic in that sense, but for free of course and much better in my opinion, just check out his demos.

Juutis

Post by Juutis » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:13 am

Oh, nice. He released it for free. Downloading now.

***EDIT***
Uhh.... yeah.... I think I'm gonna stick with RF for now. No doubt FV would shine as an outdoor engine but my game is mainly indoors.

***EDIT #2***
No animations for weapons? That's bad... Didn't think I'd ever say this, but it has worse built-in weapons than RF. :shock:
Pain is only psychological.

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:45 pm

I just went over and had a look and visited the forum. I found this.
Hey! I love the engine, nice clean easy..

INCREDIBLE

I am surprised you have this up for free.

I think I remember this engine from RF (reality factory)I thought it looked great but the community over there treats anything non-rf like scum.

Anyway I noticed this is mainly for fps only? Do you have any plans to allow us to do 3rd person games in the future?

Not to be picky, it would just be nice.

Anyway hopefully I will have something big and ready soon.

Heres to the future.
Are we really this bad?
I think I remember this engine from RF (reality factory)I thought it looked great but the community over there treats anything non-rf like scum.
I thought we were a very tollerant comunity and apreciate any good game engine.