3D engines

Discuss any other topics here
paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Re: 3D engines

Post by paradoxnj » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:14 pm

Yours is a newer version than mine (0.4.0 to my 0.3.2). You must be using the unstable version.
Many Bothans died to bring you this signature....

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:28 pm

You must be using the unstable version.
Yes I am, the format has changed and v0.4 will not load v0.32 files so its better to use unstable. There is unlikely to be much more change to unstable version before the release. Guru has almost finished caelum - just the clouds to do now and a few minor bugs I believe and a pre-release will be ready.

Voltare

Post by Voltare » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:50 pm

I am calm, i'm just asking questions that i think are valid....

I'll give this newer version of ogitor a try...maybe it works better than the last.

But I still am confused as to why there can't be 4 windows.....

Allanon

Post by Allanon » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:13 pm

Voltare wrote:But I still am confused as to why there can't be 4 windows.....
4 windows are good for modeling but not needed for placing the models in the world. You can use a 4 window modeling application to create the objects then use Ogitor to place those objects in the world. Also you can save and switch camera views easily in Ogitor so you could create the 4 camera views you want and switch between them as they are needed.

I just tried Ogitor and like the terrain editor but can't figure out how to get lights to render. I can place a light but I don't see it's effect, are they implemented yet?

Voltare

Post by Voltare » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:55 pm

If the 4 windows thing ain't useful anymore....why does unreal dev kit still use it?

Allanon

Post by Allanon » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:04 pm

Voltare wrote:If the 4 windows thing ain't useful anymore....why does unreal dev kit still use it?
Never said it wasn't useful, just saying Ogitor doesn't need 4 windows because you are not building complicated models in the program. You import already built models in to Ogitor. With Unreal's editor you use brushes to build complex geometry and 4 views is useful for doing that.

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:27 pm

Sorry allanon i haven't messed with lights so I don't know. Go over to the Ogitor forum http://www.ogitor.org/forum/ and ask there they are very helpful. The big problem is it's all WIP and no documentation yet and its still in a state of flux. I did take a quick look and i could only get 1 light to work and that was by setting caelum to night time, but that seemed to light up the whole level and then only the models and not the terrain. I haven't messed with indoor stuff yet either. There is so much to alter in the lighting properties so it's best to ask them.

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:28 am

Voltare wrote:If the 4 windows thing ain't useful anymore....why does unreal dev kit still use it?
Unreal still uses it because you are using UnrealEd to build geometry. Ogitor cannot build geometry. It places geometry that has been exported in the form of Ogre Mesh, Terrain heightmap, textures, etc... For example, to make a terrain in UnrealEd, you need to cut a cube brush out of the world, tag a terrain zone, add a heightmap. To do that in Ogitor, you just select the terrain tab, tell it where the terrain.cfg file is in the preferences, and you have a terrain. You could mess with the terrain by deforming it, splatting it and other operations.
Many Bothans died to bring you this signature....

Voltare

Post by Voltare » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:04 pm

can we switch some of these ogitor posts over to a separate section under rf2 programming? cause i' know i'm going to have questions galore........

Allanon

Post by Allanon » Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:16 pm

Just started to play with Cre8or. It allows you to import models, scenes, and animations created using Anim8or and turn them in to a game. It's still in beta and still needs work but it seems like it might be good for prototyping a game. It's also has a couple of things in common with RF2, it uses uses the Squirrel scripting language and the Ogre engine for rendering.

darksmaster923

Post by darksmaster923 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:21 am

The interface is just like gamemakers. Looks pretty cool, I''ll try it out
Herp derp.

lprd2007

Unreal Engine 3 Development Kit (UDK) goes free for non-comm

Post by lprd2007 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:10 am

Epic Games has released a free edition of Unreal Engine 3 for educational and non-commercial use.

The Unreal Development Kit gives users access to the 3D game engine technology, Unreal Editor, Unreal Content Browser, UnrealScript, Unreal Matinee, Unreal Cascade and other tools.

Previously, non-commercial access to the Unreal Engine 3 toolset had been available only through the PC versions of games such as Unreal Tournament 3 and the Gears Of War series.

Epic said that the UDK contains all the most recently added Unreal features and enhancements, and that it will release ongoing, upgraded builds for free.

“I’m excited about the possibilities the Unreal Development Kit opens to those who are looking to get into the game business but don’t otherwise have the means to acquire world-class technology and tools like ours,” said Mark Rein, vice president of Epic Games.

“UDK is Unreal Engine 3, which has been used to create games in a wide range of genres, as well as military simulations, 3D architectural walkthroughs, animated movies and more. Users are only limited by their imaginations."
Download Here

System Requirements:
MMinimum:

o Windows XP SP2 or Windows Vista
o 2.0+ GHz processor
o 2 GB system RAM
o SM3-compatible video card
o 3 GB free hard drive space

Recommended for Content Development:
o Windows Vista 64 SP2
o 2.0+ GHz multi-core processor
o 8 GB system RAM
o NVIDIA 8000 series or higher graphics card
o Plenty of HDD space
Moved to 3d engines by bernie.

Matte

Post by Matte » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:25 pm

If you want a non-tolerant community: check this out. http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=722468

HOW was I comparing Source and UDK? I could've aswell said: should I use brown or yellow paper? :s
Last edited by paradoxnj on Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed URL

Allanon

Post by Allanon » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:02 pm

Epic probably doesn't want comparisons made to other engines on their site because they sell their engine and don't want the shortcomings of the engine to be exposed. Plus they don't want to draw attention to competitors.

Matte

Post by Matte » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:44 pm

Yes, that is true, but you can't buy a commercial license of UDK (yet). And also, I clearly said that the UDK was better, and only named Source once. After I explained my point of view to the moderator, Flak, I didn't get a reply for 34 hours now, while he has been online a few times in that timespan. Anyway, long live RF!