3D engines

Discuss any other topics here
Allanon

Re: 3D engines

Post by Allanon » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:10 am

darksmaster923 wrote:Unreal Engine 3 is now free to indie developers.
Not totally free, there is a 25% royalty after the first $5000 you make selling the game. So if you make $100,000 selling your game then they get $23,750 of that revenue.

darksmaster923

Post by darksmaster923 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:14 am

Allanon wrote:
darksmaster923 wrote:Unreal Engine 3 is now free to indie developers.
Not totally free, there is a 25% royalty after the first $5000 you make selling the game. So if you make $100,000 selling your game then they get $23,750 of that revenue.
Well, if its noncommercial its free
Herp derp.

Matte

Post by Matte » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:23 pm

I downloaded Unity, was a bit confusing. Now trying to install UDK. It looks promising. But I'll have to learn another language. But hey, I want to know if I'd like a job as a game designer, and so I have to try out as many stuff as I can and stick with one that I like.

darksmaster923

Post by darksmaster923 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:35 am

I really hate Unity's interface. It seems like the level editor is above everything else
Herp derp.

Matte

Post by Matte » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:58 pm

I'm just going to learn to program. It might take some time (it will), but that will allow me to choose any engine I like and not create these basic gameplay types, but something new and fresh. :D

Oh and by the way, if you ask me, RealityFactory is still the way to go! It's the best free non-programming engine out there. I know I should be shouting it around, but it's true.

Voltare

Post by Voltare » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:16 am

I have tried EVERYTHING.

Many years ago, i got into genesis3d....as it was just about the only thing out there at the time.I've been sticking with/using Rf since it was the "rabid framework for games".Nothing...and i do mean NOTHING ( including rf2) has an editor that is this simple to use.All RF needs is a heightmap editor of some sort.I made a mockup of a vb .net made RFEDITPRO lookalike once.How hard would it be to remake rfeditpro for rf2?

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:32 pm

Yes one of the sticking points was just that. Jacmoe wants ogitor to be used by anyone and IndieZen eventually agreed that he could to that if they merge, but they are talking about a new framework now for Ogitor so that it can be integrated with IndieZen. Don't know what the outcome of that will be. For the time being it looks like they might settle on using Dotscene format for IndieZen to use and keep the ogscene format as well, but what of the long term? The way it looks at the moment RF2 could just about use it as it is, but RF2 would have to build in the physics, animation and entities etc. As far as RF2 is concerned I don't think the licence is a problem LGPL is fine and the name shouldn't be a problem either as Ogitor is only the Editor. Personally I think Ogitor is the best thing since sliced bread, it does everything you need perfectly and easily. You can build a whole scene in an evening if you have the meshes and textures. I really like using it, flattening areas of terrain like using a bulldozer to get ready for building is great fun and painting areas of terrain with different textures all bumpmapped ready, it really is the dog's dodahs.

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:59 pm

The ZenEngine is ok. The structure is not that great and it is a lot of work to use it. My goal with RF2 is point and click. Something like the Torchlight editor (which is made with Ogre ;) ). Ogitor provides a nice framework that is easy to modify so achieving this won't be too hard. Integrating the RF logic into the editor won't be tough either. Generalizing it for any type of game will be the biggest challenge.

Torchlight Video 2
Torchlight Video 3
Many Bothans died to bring you this signature....

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:35 pm

Yes I looked at the torchlight Editor before, it looks fairly easy to use certainly it makes the logic stuff easier from a gaming point of view. I do like it a lot especially the way the logic is tied graphically. It does look as though it will be difficult to implement though but then I'm not much of a programmer. Certainly that combined with Ogitor for creating the scenes will make RF2 hard to beat and easy to use. I'm certainly looking forward to trying it all out that's for sure.

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:16 am

I'm going to do my best Bernie. :D I plan on implementing the logic stuff into Ogitor to make Ogitor RF2 specific. I plan on making Ogitor the only tool to use for RF2. No need to use anything else. Script editor, model viewer, world builder, logic editor, physics editor, etc... all in Ogitor.

Voltare

Post by Voltare » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:03 am

Just a few serious questions, then ban me if you feel like, pnj.

1. Why must there be a " chat dialog" type box at the bottom of ogitor?Doesn't the treelist view thing to the left give you that info to begin with?
2. Why must there be these giant white spaces, and places in which nothing is in the edtior?( such as below the treelist view and the object view area)
3.Why not have a traditional 4 window view?Do you not think that having 4 windows, in which you can move the object more precisely( i have gamecore, i know what i'm jabberin about here) , would be best?For instance....if you want to place the object on the ground in that editor, you have to use those 3 arrows( i don't know how to explain it; you know what i mean anyway).That can be a pain in the backside when it comes to precision, precisely placing small objects, for instance.

While in a traditional view, I can move it sideways, up and down, or left and right very easily by going to that window.

These are my " sticking" points with modern editors.It seems precision is being discarded in favor of cuteness.

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:36 am

@Voltare: have you used the latest build of Ogitor? it certainly doesn't look like you have from your post. The framework has been completely changed from the release version. The one view with its snap to grid feature is just as precise as the the 4 views, which I always found a PITA one 3d view is much better to work with IMO as you can see exactly what you are going to get in one big view. Before you start to criticise you should check out the program fully and also check out the roadmap.
@Paradoxnj: Looking forward to it I can't wait to get playing around with it. Will any scenes I make now be usable in RF2 provided they load and run in the Ogitor sceneviewer?

QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:28 pm

Just calm down, guys...

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:28 pm

bernie wrote:@Paradoxnj: Looking forward to it I can't wait to get playing around with it. Will any scenes I make now be usable in RF2 provided they load and run in the Ogitor sceneviewer?
Yes. You will probably have to export it again for the custom RFXML format.
Voltare wrote: 1. Why must there be a " chat dialog" type box at the bottom of ogitor?Doesn't the treelist view thing to the left give you that info to begin with?
2. Why must there be these giant white spaces, and places in which nothing is in the edtior?( such as below the treelist view and the object view area)
3.Why not have a traditional 4 window view?Do you not think that having 4 windows, in which you can move the object more precisely( i have gamecore, i know what i'm jabberin about here) , would be best?For instance....if you want to place the object on the ground in that editor, you have to use those 3 arrows( i don't know how to explain it; you know what i mean anyway).That can be a pain in the backside when it comes to precision, precisely placing small objects, for instance.
I would not ban you for valid questions.

1. That chat dialog is the log. No the treeview does not give you that because it is a treeview and cannot handle lines of text like the text box control does.
2. What version are you using? Download the latest version then ask this again.
3. Because it's not about brushes. It's about scene objects. Brushes require that view because you need to move them, resize them, cut them, etc... Scene objects are essentially models. They just need to be moved and scaled. It's a different type of editing. You make your pieces, then place them in the world.

You have to remember that Ogitor is a work in progress as RF2 is. Instead of hating it, why not put the features that you ask for as a suggestion for future versions? It's like hating a car before it's fully built. If someone shows you the shell of the car and it has nothing in it...of course you're not going to buy it or even like it for that matter. It still needs an engine, doors, tires, paint, etc... I'm sure when all the parts are there and you see it's a Lambourghini, you'll take it.

I've said from the start that I would listen to the community's input and implement useful suggestions that everyone agrees upon. I've even started discussions about features asking for opinions.
QuestofDreams wrote: Just calm down, guys...
I am very calm.
Attachments
ogitor-new.jpg
Latest Ogitor
(321.02 KiB) Not downloaded yet

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:37 pm

Just to show how things change very quickly here's a build of Ogitor about 1 week old.
Attachments
OgitorLatestBuild.JPG
(130.22 KiB) Not downloaded yet