Google Chrome

Discuss any other topics here
jonas

Google Chrome

Post by jonas » Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:04 am

Has anyone checked out the new Google Chrome web browser? It seems its based off of firefox. Also it has seperate threads or processes for every tab. It seems faster then firefox too. But that's not really to big of a suprise seeing as google has access to many cached websites so they are able to test many websites with it before ever releasing it to the public. What do you guys think?

[edit]Just seen in another thread that i'm not the only one that spotted it.
Jonas

Focused, hard work is the real key to success. Keep your eyes on the goal, and just keep taking the next step towards completing it. If you aren't sure which way to do something, do it both ways and see which works better. - John Carmack

Trougedoor122

Re: Google Chrome

Post by Trougedoor122 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:32 am

it looks okay but i like FF better.

jonas

Post by jonas » Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:44 am

I love firefox... But it crashes too much when watching lots of videos. I've also seen it taking up to 300 some meg of memory, when I've already closed out videos. It has poor memory management. If they will adapt some of the background technology google chrome is using, maybe not the look. I think firefox would be a lot better. Firefox is quick. Chrome is twice as quick.
Jonas

Focused, hard work is the real key to success. Keep your eyes on the goal, and just keep taking the next step towards completing it. If you aren't sure which way to do something, do it both ways and see which works better. - John Carmack

Destron

Post by Destron » Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:53 am

I would be using Chrome right now if it weren't for Firefox's extension system. I love my Adblock Plus and Downthemall, and couldn't bear to part with them.

sankha93

Post by sankha93 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:46 am

By the way I had already posted about Chrome. Anyway, Chrome is good but FF is better.
sankha93

Matte

Post by Matte » Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:31 pm

I think Chrome's faster than FF2, but it has a leak, that can autodownload malware to your computer. So I'm gonna wait for the full version.

Trougedoor122

Post by Trougedoor122 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:35 pm

Matte wrote:I think Chrome's faster than FF2, but it has a leak, that can autodownload malware to your computer. So I'm gonna wait for the full version.
use firefox 3 it better

elnawe

Post by elnawe » Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:50 pm

Google Chrome have some bugs.
FF3 is better.

jonas

Post by jonas » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:07 pm

sankha93 wrote:By the way I had already posted about Chrome. Anyway, Chrome is good but FF is better.
Yeah sorry about that man. I posted then I saw you mention about it in the browsers post.
Matte wrote:I think Chrome's faster than FF2, but it has a leak, that can autodownload malware to your computer. So I'm gonna wait for the full version.
Wow that's not good. I think the whole deal with the java virtual machine is a good idea as well as separate processes. I'd like to see some of that in firefox. I think it would relieve some of the memory hog issues.
Jonas

Matte

Post by Matte » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:30 pm

jonas wrote:
sankha93 wrote:By the way I had already posted about Chrome. Anyway, Chrome is good but FF is better.
Yeah sorry about that man. I posted then I saw you mention about it in the browsers post.
Wow that's not good. I think the whole deal with the java virtual machine is a good idea as well as separate processes. I'd like to see some of that in firefox. I think it would relieve some of the memory hog issues.
I've heard that Apple's browser Safari had that problem too, in the beginning. But they fixed it quite fast. I hope Google does it too.

jonas

Post by jonas » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:11 am

That's very true. I remember seeing an article about the major bug with safari. You'd think they would have fixed this before release, but oh well. They still haven't released a version for linux so I haven't got to try this out yet... :(
Jonas

lprd2007

Post by lprd2007 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:15 am

I've used Chrome at least for two months but now i still am using Firefox. Chrome is really fast with basic HTML pages, but when u use youtube or another web page that uses flash Chrome crashes. I don't know if there's a fix of this, but for now Chrome is not an alternative.

Matte

Post by Matte » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:33 pm

It's not that bad! I'm using it right now, and I guess you all know these Javascript alert spammer website (which I just made one myself :)), and you can choose that the website doesn't display them anymore. Very handy. I have to find a way through the interface though. I'll write a small review about it.

dylanwinn

Post by dylanwinn » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:18 pm

jonas wrote:I love firefox... But it crashes too much when watching lots of videos. I've also seen it taking up to 300 some meg of memory, when I've already closed out videos. It has poor memory management. If they will adapt some of the background technology google chrome is using, maybe not the look. I think firefox would be a lot better. Firefox is quick. Chrome is twice as quick.

Update to the latest version of flash to solve the video playback crashes. Also, 300 mb of ram isn't much

Matte

Post by Matte » Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:28 pm

dylanwinn wrote:
jonas wrote:I love firefox... But it crashes too much when watching lots of videos. I've also seen it taking up to 300 some meg of memory, when I've already closed out videos. It has poor memory management. If they will adapt some of the background technology google chrome is using, maybe not the look. I think firefox would be a lot better. Firefox is quick. Chrome is twice as quick.

Update to the latest version of flash to solve the video playback crashes. Also, 300 mb of ram isn't much
It is, when you have only 512 megs, like me.