GMer

MAC OS X Reality Factory thing!

Post by GMer » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:11 pm

I crawled on the web and found a program like reality factory for MAC OS X
it is @

http://www.klinksoftware.com/

Tell me what you think!
(It has a windows binary too!)
Over 3 years (has it been that long?) and just now I noticed the day and month of my birthday were switched. Whoops!

Some 2d games I made, haven't made anything in a year though O.o
http://www.yoyogames.com/users/GMer56

LtForce

Re: MAC OS X Reality Factory thing!

Post by LtForce » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:02 pm

Got to face the facts - OS X is useless compared to Windows or Linux.
Lithuanians for Georgia!

sankha93

Post by sankha93 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:23 am

LtForce wrote:Got to face the facts - OS X is useless compared to Windows or Linux.
I agree with you.
sankha93

Matte

Post by Matte » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:40 pm

Doesn't look really easy compared to RF.

AndyCR

Post by AndyCR » Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:56 pm

I disagree. The allegation is "it is useless", but the answer can only be "what is it useless for?" It may be useless to you, but many use it.

jonas

Post by jonas » Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:58 am

LtForce wrote:Got to face the facts - OS X is useless compared to Windows or Linux.
I'm going to have to disagree as well. :P look at the torque engine. It runs on mac osx, as well as photoshop, maya and tons of other programs. I actually would prefer osx or linux over windows. So its all a matter of preference. They all can do it. Some better at some stuff then others, but they all can.
Jonas

Focused, hard work is the real key to success. Keep your eyes on the goal, and just keep taking the next step towards completing it. If you aren't sure which way to do something, do it both ways and see which works better. - John Carmack

Matte

Post by Matte » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:26 am

Windows's better for games, macosx looks better and runs better.
That kinda sums it up,no?

LtForce

Post by LtForce » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:16 pm

jonas wrote:
I'm going to have to disagree as well. :P look at the torque engine. It runs on mac osx, as well as photoshop, maya and tons of other programs. I actually would prefer osx or linux over windows. So its all a matter of preference. They all can do it. Some better at some stuff then others, but they all can.
Linux ftw, but OS X is much like Vista - shiny and neat looking and that's it.
Lithuanians for Georgia!

Matte

Post by Matte » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:32 pm

LtForce wrote:
jonas wrote:
Linux ftw, but OS X is much like Vista - shiny and neat looking and that's it.
Go play on your server, you penguin! xD
But I agree with OSX and Vista, just shiny and looking cool.

jonas

Post by jonas » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:35 pm

I think i'm going to get a mac laptop one of these days. But for now all my computers have linux on them, and i'm working on turning my parents over from the dark side as well :lol:
Jonas

Focused, hard work is the real key to success. Keep your eyes on the goal, and just keep taking the next step towards completing it. If you aren't sure which way to do something, do it both ways and see which works better. - John Carmack

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:17 pm

Linux is great for advanced users. For your everyday, run of the mill user, Windows and Mac rule. I think Mac is actually easier than Windows these days.

The reality is that Windows holds about 90% of the home PC market. Mac holds about 8% and Linux holds the rest. To a business, porting your game to Mac or Linux is a waste of money because it won't sell nearly as many copies as the Windows version. As for the Torque Game Engine, the only reason it was made to run on those platforms is because it was easy to get it to do so. The engine is based on OpenGL. On Windows, it uses a DX7/9 wrapper which basically converts the OpenGL API to use DX instead. Just a note...Torque actually runs slower on Mac and Linux, compared to Windows. :)

I personally own a couple of Macs, a Sun Sparc server with Solaris 10, a couple of Linux servers and 2 Windows machines. I use my Macs for my music. The Solaris and Linux machines are used for web hosting and my Windows machines are my everyday machines. I learned that you can probably convert completely to Linux, but you'll run into some limitation in software and have to switch to Windows (or run Wine or VM) anyways.
Many Bothans died to bring you this signature....

jonas

Post by jonas » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:11 am

paradoxnj wrote:Torque actually runs slower on Mac and Linux, compared to Windows. :)
I was thinking about checking into torque a while back because of it being so cheap and yet multi platform. Is it majorly slower or can you just barely notice it?
paradoxnj wrote: I personally own a couple of Macs, a Sun Sparc server with Solaris 10, a couple of Linux servers and 2 Windows machines. I use my Macs for my music. The Solaris and Linux machines are used for web hosting and my Windows machines are my everyday machines. I learned that you can probably convert completely to Linux, but you'll run into some limitation in software and have to switch to Windows (or run Wine or VM) anyways.
Yeah you're right, the limitation of software is the only real problem with linux. But I've installed rf on a virtualbox, as well as a couple of modeling and drafting programs I have and they run great.

Just today I walked up behind my dad and an ad had came up and he click it and was in the process of installing some kind of adware. Maybe its not such a bad deal that windows is so vulnerable... At least the loonies develop viruses mostly for them and leave linux alone. :mrgreen:
Jonas

sankha93

Post by sankha93 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:44 am

jonas wrote: Yeah you're right, the limitation of software is the only real problem with linux.
I don't agree. Linux comes with a great variety of free and open source programs. I had tried out Ubuntu and Red hat Linux and both were great. I was amazed by the variety of software available. If you don't find the one you need maybe you can get it from the net. A great site for free and open source programs : http://sf.net
sankha93

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:33 am

I tried linux red hat, mandrake, fedora core 6 and ubuntu on a machine not connected to the internet and its a real PITA trying to install programs. You download a program transfer it to linux machine. Can't load that its says you need such and such. Off you go and find it, come back try to load it Can't load that you need something else. The basic problem is that most programs you get for linux don't come with dependencies and they often don't tell you which dependencies you need. When you find a dependency sometimes that needs other dependencies to work there's often a whole tree of them you need to find. I just gave up in the end. If you run Linux you need to be connected to the internet to be able to run it basically.
With Microcrap at least you can install programs without an internet connection and there are a load of free open source programs available too (mostly the same ones that are available for linux).
I haven't tried Mac so I can't caomment on that.
Personally I am waiting for React OS (a free open source OS that is a clone of windows) but It's not quite usable yet but it's an interesting project.
One thing that is absolutly certain is that I will not be downgrading to Vista. In fact I will probably be upgrading my XP machine to Win2k in the near future when I add more cards. I can't be doing with trying to explain to Billy the Kid why I need to reactivate my OS.

LtForce

Post by LtForce » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:44 pm

bernie wrote:XP machine to Win2k in the near future when I add more cards.
Win2k will work super fast on new computer, no lag, but I don't think you'll be able to run most of the new software. I'm sticking to my XP for games and Ubuntu for everything else.
Lithuanians for Georgia!