WHAT THE @&^%!@ ???

Discuss any other topics here
metal_head

WHAT THE @&^%!@ ???

Post by metal_head »

WOW guys, I just found a video of a game, made in RF and I was stunned, it has so much details and the terrain is so big...
http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=EQtqyjtHixw In my tries to make an outside terrain, much smaller than this one and with less details, the framerate of the level is arround 18 fps...I don't know what's the framerate there, but I got the feeling, it's above 40 (no matter that the vid is so laggy). I got the feeling that the game is made with another engine, and it's not, because I can recognize the shadows and the lightning.
What do you think of it?

EDIT: Here's another vid of some landscape http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEG9hiXYZUo&NR=1 L.O.L. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Destron

Re: WHAT THE @&^%!@ ???

Post by Destron »

That doesn't look like 40fps to me. As an action game, the framerate in that video would be unplayable, not to mention a complete pain in the ass. A lot of developers aim for a constant 60fps since it's almost impossible to tell it from higher framerates. If it were 40fps it would honestly look quite a bit better than that; on my old system Half-Life 2 occasionally dropped to 40 fps, but it wasn't unplayable.
Anyway, it looks as if a lot of detail is in the texturing - not the actual model.
metal_head

Post by metal_head »

uuh no, I'm not talking about the video's framerate :) ( I know it's horrible). I can see the fraps website on the top of the screen, and fraps sometimes makes the videos with a very low framerate. I don't actually know the framerate of the game, but it's enough for me to look at he beautiful landscape (which is so big). In my game I've made a lot more smaller outdoor levels and the framerate has been between 10 and 20 (like on the vid).
ardentcrest

Post by ardentcrest »

I beleve this is the work of Zidane, There are also some videos of his game Skullcrack there aswell.

Tho I maybe wrong. Maybe Zidane could could say if it's his or not.
He's a Bot Jim, But not as we know It.
SucOcuS

Post by SucOcuS »

Hi all, It´s not Zidane's work, it's Ingumak's game, another mate from the Spanish RF forum,and BTW I find it very cool.

I believe it's an Adventure Game, and if i'm not wrong the frame rate was quite good.
TIME WILL PROVE THE DEPTH OF YOUR SOUL, BUT ONLY YOUR ACTIONS WILL SHOW IT'S WORTH
SucOcuS'08
metal_head

Post by metal_head »

hehe, see?
Wow, I gotta learn more aboutthat game, I just can't get enough of theese landscapes (so huuuge and detailed)
Zidane

Post by Zidane »

This is the post of the game Evora:
http://rf-espanol.foroactivo.com/proyec ... -t1602.htm
bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie »

Zidane that spanish web address has the doubleclick virus on it.
Zidane

Post by Zidane »

Virus? :O
bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie »

Yes it has the doubleclick drive by tracking virus. And it won't let you on the site unless you accept it. Once accepted it's a real pain to get rid of see here http://www.safer-networking.com/removeDoubleClick.php
metal_head

Post by metal_head »

huh? I haven't had such problem...strange
bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie »

huh? I haven't had such problem...strange
Aren't you the guy that had to reinstall your os every month beecause of viri ? I refer you to this thread http://www.realityfactory.info/forum/vi ... rus#p30209
This sort of thing could have been the source of your problem. You should NEVER accept cookies Especially 3rd party cookies if you don't know what they are for. This particular virus "DoubleClick " comes from advertisements on webpages. It is a tracking virus that sends information to the vendors about your surfing habits who then innundate you with popups and junk mail. It adds a little dll to the your OS and installs several additions to your registry. Once installed it is not easy to get rid of. Another is the "Avenue" virus which behaves in a similar way. Get Spybot S&D to protect your system as some virus scanners do not pick them up. AVG picks them up and so does ZoneAlarm.
metal_head

Post by metal_head »

nno,no, I haven't accepted anything on the forums, I just made a registration there and that was all, strange...I've been on the forums a lot of times after I reinstalled my OS, I put a vista and now I don't have problems (that windows defender thing, keeps the computer safe). What could be the source of that virus, it's not put on purpouse, I'm sure...a lot of people visit that site daily.
paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj »

You should NEVER accept cookies
But...I love cookies...especially Chips Ahoy. :)
Many Bothans died to bring you this signature....
bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie »

Windows accepts cookies automatically you have to set it to let you have the choice. It's probably not coming from that site but from one of the adverts on the site, that is what a 3rd party cookie is. I wouldn't bank on windows defender protecting you it doesn't pick up these sort of virii. You definately need another program and/or virus scanner.
Didn't your mother tell you not to accept sweets from strangers? Well the same goes here, it's just as dangerous accepting cookies from unknown sites. Free web hosts tend to have adverts and its the adverts that put out these cookies. Some sites will not let you on without accepting them & that forum appears to be one like that. Its a ploy by the advertisers (not the forum) to get you to accept the cookie and hence the virus.