:-( A little something for Christmas :-(

Discuss any other topics here
ardentcrest

:-( A little something for Christmas :-(

Post by ardentcrest » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:14 am

Please, please, please, pass on this vid to all you know....

http://www.dspca.ie/video/abc_buy_one_kill_one_psa.wmv

This comes from a Society I am with.

http://www.dspca.ie/news_item.php?numbe ... archive=No

It is a powerful message.

I still get...... I cant tell you how it makes me feel.

QOD (and only QOD) if you feel you need to delete this....... Its up to you.
He's a Bot Jim, But not as we know It.

Destron

Re: :-( A little something for Christmas :-(

Post by Destron » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:39 am

I don't really care. I'm sorry, you probably think I'm insensitive, but I just don't care.
Further turning me off was this slice of text in the article -
The video was produced by PETA and highlights that this isn’t just an Irish problem but one world wide.
PETA is, as far as I'm concerned, an ecoterrorist group. They try to keep a friendly face, but it doesn't work well.
I hate propaganda, anyway.

sankha93

Post by sankha93 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:01 am

Destron wrote:I don't really care. I'm sorry, you probably think I'm insensitive, but I just don't care.
The video was produced by PETA and highlights that this isn’t just an Irish problem but one world wide.
PETA is, as far as I'm concerned, an ecoterrorist group. They try to keep a friendly face, but it doesn't work well.
me too. I don't like these people. They think that they really try to save the earth. It actually produces the opposite effect on people like me( I hate environmental education in school).
sankha93

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:08 pm

Destron wrote:
I don't really care. I'm sorry, you probably think I'm insensitive, but I just don't care.

Quote:

me too. I don't like these people. They think that they really try to save the earth. It actually produces the opposite effect on people like me( I hate environmental education in school).
Well this just shows the kind of youth we are breeding today. You guys should be thoroughly ashamed of yourselves. An animals life is just as important as human life.
Ardentcrest you are absolutely right. Keep up the good work.

jonas

Post by jonas » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:07 pm

The message they put off in their little messages is really kind of stupid in my opinion. If i want a little puppy of a certain kind why would I hunt through a bunch of animal shelters for it? If this puppy has been bred already and no one buys it, what are we accomplishing here? The real crime is the fact some people will buy an animal and just plain not take care of it. That or abuse them like the Mike Vick(American football player who was running dog fights) case. Besides...animals will breed on their own, if it wasn't done by a breeder the only difference it makes is we'll have a bunch of extremely mixed dogs running around.
bernie wrote: Well this just shows the kind of youth we are breeding today. You guys should be thoroughly ashamed of yourselves. An animals life is just as important as human life.
Ardentcrest you are absolutely right. Keep up the good work.
I don't believe we(the "youth") are necessarily all out wrong. Absolutely animals especially domestic animals should be treated right, but not lifted above human life. Come on we have doctors killing babies... Much bigger problems here.

Man has hunted animals since the dawn of man. Why should it be any different now? Don't get me wrong, i'm not saying we should go kill the shelter animals. If you want one from the shelter fine, but they shouldn't shove it down our throats.

Anyhow is past my bedtime. *sigh* probably just signed the lock warrant for this thread. :mrgreen:
Jonas

Focused, hard work is the real key to success. Keep your eyes on the goal, and just keep taking the next step towards completing it. If you aren't sure which way to do something, do it both ways and see which works better. - John Carmack

ardentcrest

Post by ardentcrest » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:59 pm

I'm not a big fan of PETA also.

After christmas and up tp easter over 70% of dogs that come in to the shelter are bred dogs.
Its the puppy factor. when a dog has lost its puppy look the novilty of have one is gone.

All of our dogs are vaccinated, neutered, wormed, de-flea’d and micro-chipped before they are rehomed
most breaders dont. Its you who has to pay for for all the above.
Our rehoming fee of €135 does not cover the full cost of the treatment and care your chosen animal may have received whilst at the Shelter.
what do you have to pay for the other 300 to 3000 depending on the type of dog

Our money goes to help other Dogs, Cats, Rabbits, Gerbils, Hamsters, Guinea Pigs, Horses and all.

Thiers go in to their pocket.

I didnt what to start any fights with this post. It was just a reminder that Christmas is not just for humans. Remember all you have to do is add an E and you are humane.
He's a Bot Jim, But not as we know It.

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:56 pm

What I was referring to is the "I dont care" attitude the lads came back with.

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:59 pm

I don't see this as being any different from the anti-smoking ads from "The Truth". There was one ad where they filled a landfill with body bags.

I agree that an animal's life is as important as a human's life. I love my Puggle. She is a member of my family. I also do not smoke and don't condone smoking. I don't like organizations who take stuff like this to the extreme. It's great to get your message across, but it is irresponsible to release ads like this on national TV or the internet which children have access to watch. There were some Canadian PSAs about domestic abuse (search YouTube for Canadian PSA) that were a bit too graphical also. These organizations should stick to posters and magazine ads.

I also do not force my views on people like PETA or The Truth do. PETA is infamous for going after actors and actresses who wear fur. It is their right to wear it if they want to. They should not have to be forced into anything they don't want to do. If someone wants to smoke, they should be able to smoke. It's their body and their life.
Many Bothans died to bring you this signature....

Destron

Post by Destron » Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:36 pm

bernie wrote:Well this just shows the kind of youth we are breeding today. You guys should be thoroughly ashamed of yourselves. An animals life is just as important as human life.
I disagree; and that is our fundamental difference.
Also, I revise my earlier statement. It's not that I don't care at all, it's just when it's brought to my attention in this way, it makes me not want to care.

And I don't know if was intentional or not, but your first sentence is a very poor choice of words, considering the issue at hand.

paradoxnj wrote:I don't see this as being any different from the anti-smoking ads from "The Truth". There was one ad where they filled a landfill with body bags.
I agree, it's not different at all. I dislike those PSAs as well. Ads and PSAs which attempt to guilt trip people into thinking their way is a blatant commission of the logical fallacy "appeal to pity".

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:44 pm

Yes I agree Destron is was a poor choice of words and I apologise for that. I was very upset that anyone could say they don't care about the unnecessary death of animals in this way.

Destron

Post by Destron » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:37 pm

Part of the reason I don't care is the fact that there are much more important matters on our hands. As Jonas pointed out, the life of animals should not be lifted above that of humans. The number of dogs being euthanized each year is severely outweighed by the 42 million babies being aborted in the same amount of time.

sankha93

Post by sankha93 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:49 am

I don't hate animals. I hate those people(PETA) , they just try to show off.
sankha93