Will there be another video game crash?

Discuss any other topics here
GMer

Re: Will there be another video game crash?

Post by GMer » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:53 pm

Yes, I do know about the story with FF1 and Squaresoft... saw the TV special :D
The point I am getting at is there needs to be new blood in the gaming industry with new ideas.
"evolutionary", eh? Yep, except in console games, there is a major difference between the
previous console's graphics and new one (e.g PS2 & PS3, there is a big difference)
I'm not exactly saying the engines are bad (actually the contrary, any further and we will be playing pixar movies),
just that the companies thinktanks should try to think outside the box when itI comes to stories, e.g. aliens invade
earth but some humans join and fight with the aliens, or playing from the viewpoint of the aliens.
This has been a few times, one of which is very old (the old 90's TIE Fighter PC game, I think, where you see the
Empire's view of the Rebels)
Over 3 years (has it been that long?) and just now I noticed the day and month of my birthday were switched. Whoops!

Some 2d games I made, haven't made anything in a year though O.o
http://www.yoyogames.com/users/GMer56

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:07 pm

TIE Fighter was a reuse of the XWing engine and idea by Lucasarts. It was a great game...but it was not very innovative. The story/plot idea maybe...but not the technology nor the game genre.
Many Bothans died to bring you this signature....

MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:59 pm

Personally I don't think technology has to be revolutionary for a revolutionary game to be made. Look at Portal from Valve, sure portals have been used before and the gameplay idea was tried before, but they took the idea and made something great from it. I loved Portal and find it to be one of the greatest breaths of fresh air in the pc market. Sure portal technology was implemented before and it used the same old source engine, but it took gameplay and story and made something that was completely unique and amazing. Its things like that that need to happen. That is the kind of in innovation that needs to happen more often. It's not that we need all new ideas and story basis, its that people have to be creative with the norm. That's all I feel is needed in today's market.
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.

GMer

Post by GMer » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:05 pm

I agree, MakerOfGames.
Portal is awesome! Plus it used existing game technology in a whole new way.
Over 3 years (has it been that long?) and just now I noticed the day and month of my birthday were switched. Whoops!

Some 2d games I made, haven't made anything in a year though O.o
http://www.yoyogames.com/users/GMer56