Vista Performance

Discuss any other topics here
paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Vista Performance

Post by paradoxnj » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:21 pm

I am offering this link to Vista users to see if any of these tweaks helps them with their memory consumption and/or performance issues. If you have a spare 1GB USB Flash ROM, I strongly recommend setting up ReadyBoost. I also strongly suggest that you upgrade to Service Pack 1 as a lot of the disk performance issues have been resolved in that SP.

Vista requires 2GB of RAM to run right out of the box but if you tweak it you can run perfectly fine on 1GB of RAM (like I do ;)). Aeroglass is mostly your issue. There are little things that you can turn off that will speed things up tremendously.
Many Bothans died to bring you this signature....

MakerOfGames

Re: Vista Performance

Post by MakerOfGames » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:37 pm

I didn't fully investigate your link there but I perform my own tune up. Frankly I have found ready boost to be useless if you have 2GB of ram as I tried it with my Desktop and Vista Ultimate x64. There was no speed increase with a 1GB flash drive devoted to Ready Boost. As for less RAM, it probably is a good idea.

I don't mean to overtake your advice here but I would like to share how I optimize my pc:

--Run->msconfig
Under services turn off all that you don't recognize but can figure out what it does(google helps). Under start up, turn off all things you don't use. No need for any program to start up at start up if you don't use it as soon as you turn on your pc.

--Under Vista: contol panel->remove programs.
On the left you will see Turn Windows Features on or Off. Here you can turn off things you dont need from the OS. HTML printing for printing over the web? No I don't need that, XPS document viewer? Not sure what it is but haven't been unable to view anything since I turned it off.

You'll be surprised at the amount of stuff that runs without your knowledge. Most of it is useless to the common user too. Going through this tune up should make a noticeable speed difference.

Also don't forget to defragment your pc! I found a nice defragmentation tool online for all versions of XP and Vista: JkDefrag
http://www.kessels.com/Jkdefrag/
It even optimizes your drive for quick access to the files you use most. I use it and it makes a huge difference in performance. It even is faster than the standard Defragmenter in Windows.
EDIT: PEASE READ KNOWN BUGS SECTION FOR JKDEFRAG BEFORE USING. Some bugs are known to completely corrupt HDD's. Back up your data before using, just as you should anytime you defragment.
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.

rgdyman

Post by rgdyman » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:04 pm

I use a free ( well.. you can upgrade but For my purposes I didnt bother) program WinPotrol

It will let you turn off startup programs and a few other things. I just used it to shut things down upon startup

I dont know my way around vista well enough to start poking around places I dont understand :D

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:11 pm

ReadyBoost is mainly for Disk I/O performance. That is where you see the benefits. Vista really thrashes your disk if you do not use it. If actually provides a major performance boost for disk operations like copying, downloading, mass creation, deletion, moving files, etc...
Using ReadyBoost-capable flash memory (NAND memory devices) for caching allows Windows Vista to service random disk reads with performance that is typically 80-100 times faster than random reads from traditional hard drives. This caching is applied to all disk content, not just the page file or system DLLs. Flash devices are typically slower than the hard drive for sequential I/O, so to maximize performance, ReadyBoost includes logic to recognize large, sequential read requests and then allows these requests to be serviced by the hard drive.

MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:29 pm

Oh I didn't know that Ready Boost Worked like that. Well I still didn't notice any speed increase. I have 4GB of ram now and a 7200RPM HDD with 16MB cache so I guess that is why I don't see a performance gain. When I built my pc most computers used 5400RPM HDD with 8MB cache. I upgraded the HDD in my laptop, a 5400RPM 8MB cache to a 7200RPM with 16MB cache and that made huge speed differences even with the celeron processor it had at the time. Since then I upgraded it to a Core 2 Duo. I guess then Ready Boost can be of much help then. Just on my pc's its effects weren't noticeable.
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:48 pm

I'm using Vista on a 2.6Ghz single core processor with 1GB RAM and an EIDE hard drive. Performing the tweaks plus activating ReadyBoost allows my system to perform as if it had Vista's ideal specs. If I leave everything as it was out of the box, I cannot even login. I had to perform the tweaks in Safe Mode. :)

MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:55 pm

I had completely forgotten about older systems being configured for Vista. Yes, then all of the optimizing and Ready Boost would have a huge impact on performance. How could I have forgotten about hardware bottlenecks and less optimized pcs? :oops:
Think outside the box.

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:01 pm

My good PC is running Windows 7 Beta. :) I want a proper testing environment. I am using it for all development (including RF2). It's going really well so far.