LCD Monitor Going Bad?

Discuss any other topics here
MakerOfGames

LCD Monitor Going Bad?

Post by MakerOfGames » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:45 pm

I think my monitor is slowly dying and I would like a second opinion as its only 2 years old. The other day my monitor freaked out while shutting the computer down and went black, while the rest of my pc rebooted the monitor displayed an all checkerboard patter which I have never seen it do ever before. After rebooting again, it was no display but still lit up as it was on. I rebooted it two more times with no change. Finally I turned the monitor off then on again and the picture was back. So I upgraded my nvidia driver to the latest version hoping it was the graphics card just freaking out from bad code.

The thing that makes me say its the monitor going bad is this, the next day I booted up my pc, with the monitor on first, it displayed the motherboard splash screen and the post message, even part of windows loading. Then it just blacked out. No noise, monitor light still on and green so it didn't tell me that it was asleep or had no input. Then after holding the power button for a few seconds the screen came back on and it displayed windows again.

I have an Acer AL1916W. It's a beautiful 19" widescreen and I don't really have the money to be spending on another monitor. Is the display tuner dying in this thing? And if my guess is right, it could die at any given time leaving me desktopless(as I have a laptop as well)? What do you guys think? I think I may buy another monitor just in case, as I don't even have any old monitors lying around in case of a monitor death emergency.

Then if I should get another one, same size or upgrade? If its the same size, I can dual monitor till one dies, but then I would be back to just 19" again. I personally would like to get a larger monitor, but another 19" is the best option for cost and use if my current one doesn't die anytime soon. Anyone have experience with dual monitors vs a single large one? I think I would just like a slightly larger monitor. Any thoughts?
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.

MakerOfGames

Re: LCD Monitor Going Bad?

Post by MakerOfGames » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:11 am

So I figured out my solution to the problem. I bought an Acer 23" H233H and am using dual monitors until the old one possibly dies. I didn't want to take a chance of being without my desktop so I splurged on a new one. It's a very beautiful monitor with amazing color. Not to mention it makes playing pc games even better with the TV size viewing space. Also, the added screen space is simply perfect for working in photoshop and trueSpace. Best of all I can view my sidebar gadgets in my second screen while playing games full screen in the other. My Wacom tablet even flows nicely with the dual screens(its an intuos3 6x11). So at least I now have all the tech of a game designer, only if I could find some more time to devote to it. If you ever get the chance to try dual screens and getting a large monitor of 20"+ go for it. You won't be disappointed. I thought my 19" was good enough by itself until I tried this new set up out. Also, DVI adds a nice amount of clarity over my old monitor which used VGA.
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.

mandax

Post by mandax » Wed May 27, 2009 9:51 am

Has anybody purchased a refurbished Dell LCD Monitor? How long do you think it will last? I am thinking about purchasing a refurbished Dell LCD monitor and I am wondering if it will be worth it. Will it go bad after a year or two or can I expect it to last for awhile?
Last edited by mandax on Sat May 30, 2009 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames » Wed May 27, 2009 2:21 pm

I have just had a terrible experience with refurbished technology. I got a G'z one type S phone last year it worked for 9 months and the ringer started to die, I swapped it for a refurbished unit through Verizon and it only lasted a little over three months and the warranty period for the refurbished unit. So now the internal antenna died and I can't fix it.(I tried, I completely tore the phone apart looking for something to solder back together but it has a solid state designed motherboard so everything is integrated and molded in). Anyhow, refurbished electronics only have whatever was wrong with them replaced and are resold at lower prices because of it. So if the monitor had a power supply go bad in it and it was used heavily, the LCD screen may be ready to go, but since it works fine at the factory it will just be shipped out. From my take on it refurbished electronics are a gamble. I personally will never buy any refurbished electronic again after this phone incident. They won't do anything for me although its only 2 weeks after the warranty ran out. So I can either pay 50 bucks for a new refurbished phone and have this risk of it dying again, or just buy a new one. I would just buy new if you can afford it.
Think outside the box.

carolin

Post by carolin » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:27 am

How do you activate the speakers on your lcd monitor? Ya know the timy little speakers at the bottom of your lcd computer monitor how do you turn those on?
Last edited by carolin on Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

darksmaster923

Post by darksmaster923 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:01 pm

Pretty sure you have to set something in the control panel, I don't know what though.
Herp derp.

MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:07 pm

To get integrated speakers on your monitor to work, there may be an audio input near the video input on the back of the monitor. You would need to run an extra sound cable to your monitor then. If you have done that, and still have no sound, then I would check the monitors control panel, or make sure you install any drivers for the monitor on your pc.
Think outside the box.

tabicasa

Post by tabicasa » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:34 am

Can I use a LCD monitor power cable on a CRT monitor? I cant find the power cable for this CRT monitor I have, But I have this power cable from an LCD monitor. Would it work if I put the LCD monitor power cable in the CRT monitor? Will it fry the CRT if I try?
Last edited by tabicasa on Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Humpty

Post by Humpty » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:11 am

If the cable is a normal power point to monitor cable (much like a kettle cord) then that will be fine providing it fits.

If it is a power pack, similar to a laptops power supply then you would need to check the Amps, and most importantly that the VOLTAGE and POLARITY are the same.
Just a noob with a genuine hobby interest looking for answers not found in docs.
Info on my purpose here can be found at viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4831