NEW genesis 3d open source license.

Discuss any other topics here
paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Re: NEW genesis 3d open source license.

Post by paradoxnj » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:59 pm

Terry, you must display the Genesis logo in your GUI. You can use the GIF file that comes with Genesis 3D. You are using the Actor API which is part of Genesis 3D. You are in violation of the license agreement unless you display the Genesis 3D logo (not the animated one, the static GIF) prominently in your GUI (where people can see it).

EDIT: Attached static logo for you to use.
Attachments
g3dlogo.gif
Genesis 3D Logo
g3dlogo.gif (14.89 KiB) Viewed 990 times
Many Bothans died to bring you this signature....

hgt_terry
RF Dev Team

Post by hgt_terry » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:08 pm

Ok if we use the logo you supplied are we ok to carry on and dse it have to be displayed all the time or in about box or splash

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:22 pm

Yes...you can carry on legally with that logo displayed. It has to be displayed all the time.

Allanon

Post by Allanon » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:50 pm

paradoxnj wrote:Yes...you can carry on legally with that logo displayed. It has to be displayed all the time.
It doesn't have to be displayed all the time, it can be on the opening screen or on the about screen. Look at Actor Studio for an example.

hgt_terry
RF Dev Team

Post by hgt_terry » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:54 pm

Is this ok paradoxnj let me know
Thanks
Terry
Attachments
EquityView.png
(106 KiB) Not downloaded yet

hgt_terry
RF Dev Team

Post by hgt_terry » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:08 pm

Allanon i don't know whats right or wrong its getting me down now spend all day on this it does take up a lot of space see last post but if it stops all this stuff so be it me and Bernie fell out over this that's how bad it got.

Allanon

Post by Allanon » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:53 pm

I wish the old Genesis3d forums were still around because all these questions were asked and answered by the Eclipse Entertainment developers when the engine was first released. Now I am just relying on memory but I'm pretty sure it was stated it didn't have to be displayed all the time. Back then screen space was limited and to have to display the logo on the screen all the time was a pretty outrageous request especially since it's a pretty big logo.
Last edited by Allanon on Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

darksmaster923

Post by darksmaster923 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:06 am

Can you use it as the background?
Herp derp.

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:28 am

Terry, that is fine. According to the license, it must be "prominently displayed". This means it must be clearly noticable.

ardentcrest

Post by ardentcrest » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:41 pm

The ActView has the moving logo on start up and the static logo in the about splash.

GEditPro has no logos.

AStudio has it on the main page, but everything opens in new windows over it (This maybe the way to go)
He's a Bot Jim, But not as we know It.

Voltare

Post by Voltare » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:54 am

Goodness.The whole thing revolves around Eclispe Entertaiment, which IS NO LONGER AN ENTITY.You take this lisence to any lawyer, along with what those who bought eclispe have stated since then, and you'll get exactly what I'm saying.Do just as you want to with this thing.There is nothing Eclipse can do to you, since it is NO LONGER AN ENTITY.

" but the copyright belongs to David stafford."No, it belongs to a company called Eclipse Entertainment, which was legally sold to Wild Tangent.Wild Tangent then publicly stated MANY TIMES that they no longer have anything to do with Genesis3d, therefore Eclipse Entertainment HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IT.

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:16 am

Voltare, you obviously don't know anything about copyright or the sale of a business. :roll:

When WT bought Eclipse, Eclipse became a wholly owned subsidiary of WT. This means that WT now holds the copyright as the copyright and the product are considered assets of Eclipse. This also means that Eclipse is still an entity as they are part of a larger entity (WT). WT can state that they "don't have anything to do wth Genesis 3D" all they want...the fact is...they still own it and they still have code from it in their WebDriver or whatever they call it now. They are still liable for any damages it may cause. It's like you making a can opener, saying you have nothing to do with it anymore and someone getting badly injured using it because of a defect. You are still liable and will be sued. What they actually meant was the community can do with it whatever they want as long as they abide by the license. They will no longer provide support for it nor will they upgrade it or host the website for it (Lightning hosts genesis3d.com)

David Stafford released the Genesis 3D 1.1 code under a separate license as David owns the public copy of Genesis 3D. That license was granted to David by WT upon agreement that license fees go to WT (and David gets a cut of course). David could not modify the agreement to get rid of the $10000 license fee as part of the WT agreement so he made a "No logo" license fee of $200 for people who want to remove the logo restrictions.

calvinshardy09

Post by calvinshardy09 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:44 am

Every one can share their thoughts about it. All of you have shared a great information. According to me i think that We have no legal right to change the license. Genesis3d 1.1 release to a license and Eclipse Entertainment of public rights and all rights reserved