Twitter

Discuss any other topics here
jonas

Twitter

Post by jonas » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:10 pm

Twitter is a free social networking and micro-blogging service that enables its users to send and read messages known as tweets. Tweets are text-based posts of up to 140 characters displayed on the author's profile page and delivered to the author's subscribers who are known as followers. Senders can restrict delivery to those in their circle of friends or, by default, allow open access. Users can send and receive tweets via the Twitter website, Short Message Service (SMS) or external applications. - Wikipedia

I started out only using it via SMS but have started increasing the people I follow on twitter and now use seesmic and/or tweetdeck to keep track of them.

I find its useful in quickly sharing news, technology tips, or ranting about life. I try to cut down on the ranting. :lol:

What do you guys think of it? Do you use it? If so what do you primarily use it for?
Jonas

Focused, hard work is the real key to success. Keep your eyes on the goal, and just keep taking the next step towards completing it. If you aren't sure which way to do something, do it both ways and see which works better. - John Carmack

darksmaster923

Re: Twitter

Post by darksmaster923 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:55 am

I don't like it. I find it unnecessary to know everything people are doing, only the big things are really important.
Herp derp.

MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:05 pm

I personally find it pointless. Its information overload and IMO a waste of time and effort. I'm generally not concerned with what people are doing all the time. I see it as the standalone version of status from facebook.

I don't see why to follow anyone with it either. if its a news story, its generally a link, so I would rather use standard RSS feeds to get info than to add a twitter page as another space between me and the information I am looking for.

Also, I am very biased against it as I don't use the internet much anymore. I use it to find info I need, and to check a few other sites(gamedev, these forums). I have become board with the internet I guess.
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.

ardentcrest

Post by ardentcrest » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:25 am

GET A LIFE YOU TWIT ' TER ......

:lol: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
He's a Bot Jim, But not as we know It.

jonas

Post by jonas » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:37 pm

MakerOfGames wrote:I personally find it pointless. Its information overload and IMO a waste of time and effort. I'm generally not concerned with what people are doing all the time. I see it as the standalone version of status from facebook.

I don't see why to follow anyone with it either. if its a news story, its generally a link, so I would rather use standard RSS feeds to get info than to add a twitter page as another space between me and the information I am looking for.

Also, I am very biased against it as I don't use the internet much anymore. I use it to find info I need, and to check a few other sites(gamedev, these forums). I have become board with the internet I guess.
I agree to some extend it is pretty pointless. But instead of having to wade through tons of posts in an rss feed you can find the top stories that people actually liked. All in 140 characters. I guess I've always been one to try and stay at the head of all emerging technologies. I find it useful to keep and be kept informed on peoples projects. Little things we wouldn't bother to make a forum post, or blog post about.
Jonas

Focused, hard work is the real key to success. Keep your eyes on the goal, and just keep taking the next step towards completing it. If you aren't sure which way to do something, do it both ways and see which works better. - John Carmack