Windows 7 any takers?

Discuss any other topics here
jonas

Windows 7 any takers?

Post by jonas » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:34 pm

Anyone using windows 7? Been using it since the first beta. I have to say compared to vista its amazing. It takes the stability of xp and the beauty of vista to make one of Microsoft's best releases yet.
Jonas

Focused, hard work is the real key to success. Keep your eyes on the goal, and just keep taking the next step towards completing it. If you aren't sure which way to do something, do it both ways and see which works better. - John Carmack

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Re: Windows 7 any takers?

Post by paradoxnj » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:58 pm

I've been using it for quite a while now also. I love it. I could not imagine going back to XP. I also was partial to Vista. Vista had it's issues out of the box but if you tweaked it, it ran just fine.
Many Bothans died to bring you this signature....

MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:38 pm

It looks pretty but I am keeping my copies of Vista. Unless it offers substantial performance increases. From what I have read though it seems to be Vista gutted of extra stuff(windows mail/internet explorer is optional) and just a new interface. I paid 200 bucks for my copy of Vista Ultimate(OEM version) and don't feel like setting that aside to pay more money on another OS. Vista works for me and I have tweaked it enough to run fast on my machines. Also, after some bios updates to my machines, I have found that even installing Vanilla Vista with no service pack, it runs better and recognizes more hardware than it did before. SP2 has made Vista stable enough for me, except for burning DVD's. 64bit Ultimate crashes sometimes when deleting burnt files from its temp folder.

Anyway, I really like Vista and probably wont upgrade until Windows 8 SP1 releases and I will be building a new Desktop at that point. After my experience with Vista, I am not jumping on the immediate release bandwagon, far too glitchy until the first SP releases. I will spend my money on upgrading my hardware first.

Personally I think Windows 7 is actually Vista SP3, but they took out stuff so they decided to call it a new "version". If anyone noted, the betas were version 6.5 and vista is v6, now the build number is magically 7 since it has released.

It looks like a very nice OS, but not enough of a reason for me to spend money and get rid of Vista.
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.

zany_001

Post by zany_001 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:00 pm

Windows 2000 was based on NT 5.0, and XP was based on NT 5.1. Vista is based on NT 6.0, and 7 is based on NT 6.1, so it should be the kind of difference there is between 2K and XP. But I personally will use linux except for gaming.
Once I was sad, and I stopped being sad and was awesome instead.
True story.

Agentarrow

Post by Agentarrow » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:05 am

My dad got Windows 7, and he seems to like it. I don't know yet if I'm going to shell out the cash for it.
AgentArrow Home
The greater good is but a point of view...

zany_001

Post by zany_001 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:41 am

I tried it a couple of days ago. It's got a nice interface, and is faster than vista, but there isn't any real major benefits to make me want to buy it. XP or ubuntu for me.
True story.

Voltare

Post by Voltare » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:24 am

I'm getting a vista-equipped compy next thursday.500gb hd( up from this ones 80gb....) 3 gb ram, etc.Wondering if RF1 will run on it?If it doesn't...then i'll have to downgrade to xp.I also have Milkshape(registered)paint.net, irfanview and pixia , and pacemaker and my copy of Gamecore that i must have on the thing....if i can't use those....then i'll have to get another os on there.
I use these the most in order:

Pixia,RFEDITPRO,Milkshape, Irfanview ,Gamecore,Firefox,World of Warcraft,Pacemaker, RPG Studio.( possibility of an ffvii-like mmo with that last one, brand new to me....not tested fully yet).

Anyone know much about vista, and should i move up(7), down(xp) or sideways (ubuntu)?

Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:08 pm

From what i heard so far, Windows 7 is a lot better than Vista. If you can, i would move upwards to Windows 7. Windows 7 and Vista both support DX10+, while XP is never going to get over DX9. This is because drivers work different in both operating systems. It's also said to be faster than Vista.

Ubuntu is nice to work with, but it's Linux, so playing with it might get a bit hard. WoW does work with Linux with a bit of tweaking (and several emulators), i heard, but it's not officially supported.

I'll have the chance to get Windows 7 for a very small price over my university, so it will be my next operating system.
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----

zany_001

Post by zany_001 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:57 pm

I would get Win7, use VMWare to make a virtual machine version, put that on a disc or something, and then get ubuntu. Install VMWare on ubuntu and use the Win7 as a virtual machine when needed. That way, you have gaming when WINE doesn't work, and linux<3 for the rest of the time.
True story.