poly reducer

Discuss any other topics here
jonas

poly reducer

Post by jonas » Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:57 pm

I heard once of a poly reducer somewere out there does anyone know were I could find it? :?:
Jonas

Focused, hard work is the real key to success. Keep your eyes on the goal, and just keep taking the next step towards completing it. If you aren't sure which way to do something, do it both ways and see which works better. - John Carmack

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:24 pm

Here ya go.

http://www.vizup.com/load/index.html

I don't use programs like this (Hah, I'm not good at modelling yet =p) but it sounds like the Decimation tool in Blender.
(\/)
(Oo)
(><)
This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination! Thank you.

gekido

Melody

Post by gekido » Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:30 am

Nvidia has a free tool called 'Melody' that can be used for poly reduction as well as normal map generation (takes high poly models & generates detail normal maps for lower poly models).

Requires pixel shader 2.0 support at minimum, but it's freely available.

check http://developer.nvidia.com for the download (iirc)

Spyrewolf

Post by Spyrewolf » Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:09 am

also for milkshape users there is the directX mesh tool in the option use this to reduce the amount of poly's....

unless you have a 15000+models you're probally better off doing it by hand cos, Poly reducers take a guess at where they should be optimized, instead of what should really be optimized...

Dreben

Post by Dreben » Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:02 pm

Yeah, I downloaded that head that was SLOW so I removed the hair and started turning couples of triangles into polygons, now works about 5 times faster, and I'm just beginning.
This message won't self-destruct. The initiative is yours.