Custom textures

Discuss any other topics here
realityfactoryusr

Custom textures

Post by realityfactoryusr » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:07 pm

When searching google for texture/texturing tutorials it gives links on how to "apply" textures, not how to make them from scratch. I could be searching it wrong. Questions is, how does everyone here create textures from scratch? Stuff like wall panels, floor grates, pipe textures and the like. Im still working on Derelict and as you may know it takes place on a space station.

FYI, half the characters for Derelict are modeled, no textures though. There are several boss creatures and im really cutting corners to complete them.

Thanks for the help guys!

....and gals!

bernie
RF Moderator

Re: Custom textures

Post by bernie » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:22 pm

I bought a book called 3d game textures by Luke Ahearn cant remember the price i think about €30 not sure though but its very good. It comes with demo of Photoshop CS2 and Genetica 2 and a load of resource images on a CD. I wouldn't be without it.
ISBN L3:978-0-240-80768-3
ISBN L0-0-240-80768-5

darksmaster923

Post by darksmaster923 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:38 pm

Well, you need to find the base texture tutorials online, such as wood texture tutorial, or you could figure out yourself if you were so inclined. After you make the base texture, which would be metal, wood etc. you would need to modify that texture to fit what you want to do.
Herp derp.

MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:07 pm

I make all my textures mostly from just playing with the filters in Photoshop. A little hand painting with my Wacom Intous3(6x11) and some smartly used filters can make some pretty textures. Play around with filters is my suggestion. GIMP has filters too. I learned by just playing around in paint programs.
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.

QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:11 pm

Actually you can find a lot of tutorials, e.g.
http://www.good-tutorials.com/tutorials ... p/textures
(these are for photoshop, however most painting programs (corel, gimp etc) provide similar tools)

Wraps

Post by Wraps » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:14 am

Pixia is good.....not quite as awesome as photoshop is, and you can't make normal maps with it....but for texture painting, I love it.What I do is, open my model in wings3d, use that program's awesome unwrap capabilities( lets me place the uv just exactly as I want it, by polygon if i want , even....) save out the uv map, open pixia and paint it up.I can use other textures to paint with in pixia---say, i have a pipe, i can use a metal texture as a brush and paint the uv map i made in wings3d.for normal maps, i use paint.net and a normal map plug-in of theirs.Works better than gimp, almost as good( easier, even) that Melody.

( and back...btw---formerly voltare, no, not gonna cause disruptions this time,and am apologizing for my past actions.)

realityfactoryusr

Post by realityfactoryusr » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:21 pm

Thankyou all for your comments. If you download the model in my other post, youll see it needs a hell of a lot of texture work. And the model can use a poly lift as well. So thanks again y'all, I wouldnt get too far without your help.

Viva bien!

Veleran

Post by Veleran » Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:58 am

Characters are mostly painted in 3d.I prefer to use grey masks to blend materials and texture layers for blending,
so i can easily change the textures.
Layers with masks can be used in paint programs or 3d paint apps.

Get sculptris,start painting textures and save often because you might get a crash.
The sculpting is for making normal maps,and you can make some and use them in rf if you want.Just keep the uv piecesless as possible because rf often shows seams at the uvw boundaries.

http://www.sculptris.com/

can do 3d paint also and trade textures and models to other apps..is free and still in development,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgHfDsIcqR0

Look to the right,in the related videos list there's a nice sculptris Ogre modelling video.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

realityfactoryusr

Post by realityfactoryusr » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:42 pm

Wow, thanks Veleran. Downloading now. Hopefully the program is able to export to a wide set of formats, or at least to MS3D somehow. This program looks great and easy to make models with. After a few years of Blender, any program seems easy though :lol:

Just noticed 51,000 triangles..... ouch

Later

Veleran

Post by Veleran » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:54 pm

In mudbox i often see 16 million models,so dont pay attentin to the 51000.
Use and improvise with sculptris as 3d painter for start to get some diffuse maps cut and fit to the models you have,after that you can do what you want with high poly and normal maps.

Stencils help a lot in making textures,and texturepaint (if you have the necessary tileable textures).
Change stencil and color a few times as you paint over the surface.