A topic for humpty

Discuss any other topics here
Humpty

A topic for humpty

Post by Humpty » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:36 pm

G'day All,

The purpose of this topic is that if need be I can point a reader to this from another thread in order to not repeat myself and not clutter threads with possibly relevent but bloated information as to what I am trying to achive. (I am attempting to not annoy people as much as possible).

History:
Programming - Basic, QBasic, MS Visual Basic (stoped when v7 was released), VBA, HTML, JS, PHP (up mid 2010 I was full time with this for a few years, I doubt I will ever drop it, unles I move onto perl).
Game Design / Creation - Like many I buggered around with hacking doom, maps for Duke 3D and various other map editors for games if the mood hit me. I have made *simplistic* games in (Q)Basic, VB and VBA. (think atari console but crappier)

Reason for using RF:
Seems like some fun and wish to get my kids (5 of) into it. ATM a 7Yr boya nd 10yr girl. The boy is VERY interested, I figure he could maybe make some maps.

Goal:
> NOT make the next kick-butt game, NOT become a professional game developer, NOT gain entry into the industry.
> Learn RF, editors, tools and scripting. (For the sake of my kids)
> NOT learn modeling (Would love to avoid this)
> Make a game my kids can play (some friends are intersted in seeing it too) while learning RF
> Once learned enough teach the kids.

Current Project:
It has no name, it's currently a 1 level basic model of the upstairs of our house. I wish to expand on it, and make it as realistic as possible to the true house itself. Basically we will tour the house, yard and maybe sourounding areas, killing zombies (yes I am a zombie fan, who would want to kill an army man when you could kill a zombie.

Known features I need to learn to do this:
(these features may be altered / edited as I move along)
1) (done) Creating basic maps/levels).
2) Adding pawns and making them react.
3) Making correct alterations for malee (who wants to shoot a zombie when you could hack one up).

Method:
You may cringe but I am not much of a planner. I am a do'er. Yes I have to back-track, yes I have to start from scratch sometimes, but I have found this the best approach for me.
I don't like reading ten pages to find out enough info which I could fit on half a page.
I don't mind reading ten pages if at the end I have an understanding that is required. (Problem is this doesn't often occur).
I have tried searching for tutorials and the like for RF and found many dead links, out of date and or incorrect information.
I am happy to work with what I can find. e.g. ugly textures, poor models, limitations of what my head wants to do. Working around these obsticals has always been what I do.

That is the long and the short of it. Many things are in my head and will stay there until the time comes for them to be released.

I am not opposed to creating simple test levels, much like the ones included, for other people to learn from. I have at this stage already created 2 flow charts that assist me in future to add a pawn, and add a health 'power up' / 'medi kit'.

I thankyou for your time reading this and hope that you welcome me to your community. I don't believe at this stage I have anything to offer to the community or in return for assistance other than the fact that I will be training my kids using RF, which may in turn when they are older contribute to the community and or the industry.

Sincerley - Humpty
Just a noob with a genuine hobby interest looking for answers not found in docs.
Info on my purpose here can be found at viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4831

zany_001

Re: A topic for humpty

Post by zany_001 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:21 am

Pleased ta meetcha humpty, good to have some new members coming into RF.

"> NOT learn modeling (Would love to avoid this)" NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Modeling's awesome, dunno why you would want to avoid it :P But if you aren't an artsy type, I suppose that's all good.
Once I was sad, and I stopped being sad and was awesome instead.
True story.

Humpty

Re: A topic for humpty

Post by Humpty » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:12 pm

I'm not an artsy type. And as discussed I am learning this to pass onto my children, oppurtunities that I didn't have as a kid that could have lead me further than I am today.

I've tried with milkshape and thus far failing horribly, even making a fridge. The time I wanted to invest has already been far exceeded by the time I have invested. I run my own business so I've had to back off a bit, but I'll be continuing, probably just slower.
Just a noob with a genuine hobby interest looking for answers not found in docs.
Info on my purpose here can be found at viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4831