Can we use half-life sounds?

Discuss any other topics here
Gamemaker

Re: Can we use half-life sounds?

Post by Gamemaker » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:03 pm

Alright folks, I uploaded both, RF and HL1 sound effects.
Last edited by Gamemaker on Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:50 pm

@gamemaker
Do you realise that by putting those files up for download YOU are breaching their copyright and you openly state they are half life sounds.

Gamemaker

Post by Gamemaker » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:34 pm

I just wanted to prove. :D

MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:29 am

It doesn't matter if you want to prove it or not, it's illegal.

So what does that mean if you make a game with copyrighted sounds unknowingly? I mean, I don't want to make a good game on my own and find out my gun sound effects were copyrighted when lawyers come knocking on my door.
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.

Humpty

Post by Humpty » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:01 am

@MakerofGames:
Pehaps with a decent mic and good software you could say psssssshuooooouhgkggh into the mike and then distort it. ... it may sound good. There is your laser. Shotgun: Salm something solid yet hollow real hard and sharp then distort that.

These sounds may come out pretty good.

I can recall watching some making of for a disney movie. The sound guys use some machine for the sound of wind and rain. It was like leather being rubbed against leather as they rotate a arm / pivot. The makers of the movie at hand dragged a boxing bag up and down the hall to make thier wind sound.

I believe with no way to back it up that a lot of the sounds that you hear aren't actually the sounds they are meant to be because once recorded they don't sound the same as they do in real life.

Question to OP and others:
How many of the sounds appear to actually be a copy of potentially copyrighted materials?
Just a noob with a genuine hobby interest looking for answers not found in docs.
Info on my purpose here can be found at viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4831