Can we use half-life sounds?

Discuss any other topics here
Gamemaker

Can we use half-life sounds?

Post by Gamemaker » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:23 pm

I figured out that RF uses some HL1 sound effects... Are they legal for anyone to use?

QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Re: Can we use half-life sounds?

Post by QuestOfDreams » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:38 pm

I didn't know there are some sounds of HL 1 coming with RF. They are not legal to use. Can you please tell me the files in question so I can remove them for the next release?

Gamemaker

Post by Gamemaker » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:52 pm

Injury.wav; Injury1.wav; Die1.wav , also the footstep sound . They are all located in Valve sounds folder under "Barney" section.

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:23 pm

How do you know they are exactly the same sounds? One footstep sound just like another and so does the die and injury. Or is it the names you are objecting to. Also did the half life sounds originate before or after the RF sounds. If its the latter then Half life could be using rf sounds.

Gamemaker

Post by Gamemaker » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:35 pm

Half-Life 1 was released in 1998. I can post those sounds somewhere if you don't believe. Sounds can't be different, if you won't hear the difference. They are 1:1 the same.

Also I'm not objecting to names. Names have been changed.
Sounds in half-life barnie folder are named "ba_pain1.wav" and "ba_pain3.wav" and "ba_die1.wav". Also those sounds have all the same sizes (kilobites). Eg. ba_die1 = die1 = 7,68kb .

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:58 pm

Have you looked at the waveforms in a sound editor. Thats the way to tell the difference. Its no use just listening to them. Can you superimpose one waveform on top of the the other? If you can then they are the same if you can't then they are different.

Gamemaker

Post by Gamemaker » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:24 pm

Bernie, there is nothing to discuss about differneces, even timeline is the same and they REALLY are the same. :|
Attachments
SAME.jpg
(114.32 KiB) Not downloaded yet

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:20 pm

You know what. I just made a footstep sound by tapping on the desk and recording it. Did a bit if trimming fading out and increasing the amplitude. It sounds almost identical to the rf one and even looks a lot like it in the sound editor before I increased the amplitude. But that is mine and copyright to me. The point i am making is Can you PROVE the rf one was copied from valve. I would doubt very much it was.

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:28 pm

Just been checking around. Valves half life 1 was released 19th Nov 1998. Genesis was around before that and Genesis used those footsteps from the start. Which means they are NOT valves footstep sounds and the other sounds are the same been around before half life 1 was released.

Gamemaker

Post by Gamemaker » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:16 am

BTW, when you made that footstep sound, did you also get it the same sizes in bytes and the other three sounds also, that whole thing would be unlogical.. :D So you mean we could actually sue against Valve?

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:22 pm

Unfortunately I can't check that because I made in ogg format as i do for all sounds these days. It looks though if its true that the byte size is the same then that does have implications for anyone who has made a game using RF and using those sounds. Everyone who has made a demo or a game using RF could be in breach of copyright and therefore could be sued by Valve.

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:44 pm

Genesis did not have a footstep sound in the original installation.

Many Bothans died to bring you this signature....

Gamemaker

Post by Gamemaker » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:48 pm

Yes and also those hurt sounds are different in Genesis I think... I remember playing that demo of Genesis, there were only woman sounds.

hgt_terry
RF Dev Team

Post by hgt_terry » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:12 pm

Hi All

I bought a book some 8 to nine years ago and that’s what really got me into RF1.

Any way the book is called 3D Game Art f/x & Design and contains a CD which has the Genesis Engine SDK and an older Version of RF1 in the media folder it as the said footsteps sound.

The edition (September 12, 2001) so from 2001 there has been a book containing the CD with footsteps on it and says can use in anyway.

So my first point is the publishers of the book I would have thought would have check out the issue of using the sounds on the CD.

Second this book and CD is available to the general public and can still be bought on Amazon.

So in summing up whether or not who owns the sound as far as the publishers of the book are concerned its free stock or are the publishers going to be sued and anybody who buys the book etc.

Thanks
Terry

Gamemaker

Post by Gamemaker » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:43 pm

I was not only talking about footstep, but pain sounds also ;)