I have decided my future career.

Discuss any other topics here
Dru

I have decided my future career.

Post by Dru » Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:05 pm

I am trying to become a level designer,
i am certain that is what i would be when im older.
and possibly a programmer.
i can just sit there for hours creating levels.
and i love creating things.
what does anyone think?

P.S i am creating a portfolio off all my work at the mo'
and i am going to keep it so i can show my employers.
what does everyone think?

Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay » Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:56 pm

I think: How old are you?
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----

AndyCR

Post by AndyCR » Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:00 pm

i definitly think so, and i wouldnt worry to much about age, it dosen't really matter even if you're as young as 14, if local laws allow (they will normally only allow a restricted amount of work per week, ie. something like over 14 = 15 hours a week max, ect., at least thats how it is here in Colorado). but wanting to work professionally is a big decision, and can cause grief if not completely thought out. its also very hard, from what i hear, to get into the gaming industry professionally - it normally takes a fluke/miracle (of which there are plenty, however)

i really am glad to hear from someone who simply likes to design levels endlessly... do you sketch them out first, or just go at it?

Dru

Post by Dru » Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:52 pm

Im 15.
over here in jolly good england ;) we can work for roughly 6 hours with 1 half an hour break, and one full hour break.

I sketch them out first, to get the ideas flowing. then i go and create them.
It also helps my artistic skills.

AndyCR

Post by AndyCR » Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:57 pm

excellent. id like to see some of your work!

anyway, game developers definitly accept people your age. the big question is: do you realy want to work? working professionally on it, you will find, somehow saps the fun partly out of it because you cant simply make what you want when you want. it's a big decision.

SV2.0

Post by SV2.0 » Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:20 am

Personally, I find I'm way more productive working on other people's ideas for levels or textures simply because when I'm working on my own stuff, I keep changing plans and starting over from scratch. This often happens at least 8 or 9 times before I decide I liked the first one best. Is that sad?... Nevermind... And sure, my lead designer might do the same thing to me,(If I had a job in the indistry) but at least I would get payed for it.

My opinion may not be worth much, or make any sense, But... But what?... I totally lost my train of thought... Maybe I should go to bed. It's 1:15 in the morning.
Anyway, Make sure you make a back-up plan in case it dosen't work out.
Y'know, like if you can't break into the indistry or it turns out you can't work well without creative freedom, you can go be a corprate bigwig instead of a safeway bagboy... or something...