"Limits" of RF

Discuss any other topics here
cthoennes

"Limits" of RF

Post by cthoennes » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:58 am

Hello

For now, as I am a beginner, my projects will be rather small. But later on, who knows what I might come across...
So I'd like to know the limits of RF: Level size, Data, AI, script size/count, number of models.
And what's most important imho: The Genesis3D engine I used to work with some years ago has had a rather poor quality of outdoor levels. Is it possible to create them in a more or less realistic way?
Generally, how hard is it to create a really realistic graphics. Let's take the hypothetical situation I'd be able to model this well (which I am not... by far) - would it be possible to create a graphics like Mafia II or Assassins Creed (Speaking of them as state of the art)?
Just asking to get knowing what I can do. Thank you for your replies.
Greetings,
cthoennes

"§1 JSchG: A game that is fun is a game we will ban." - Germany and its media...

jamieo01

Re: "Limits" of RF

Post by jamieo01 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:59 pm

RF is not able to produce games of that magnitude, for that you would be better off with a more powerful engine. Although Reality Factory is a good engine for quick prototypes and small projects.

cthoennes

Post by cthoennes » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:03 am

I don't really think that I'll come across projects of that size anyway. But how about outdoor levels? A skybox doesn't look somewhat realistic or good... Any other way? As I said, I worked with Genesis before, but never actually did outdoor levels.
Greetings,
cthoennes

"§1 JSchG: A game that is fun is a game we will ban." - Germany and its media...

jamieo01

Post by jamieo01 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:08 am

Well most games use skyboxes even AAA titles use them. RF struggles quite a bit with outdoor levels however it can be done as i've seen a few who have, it would take alot of optimization.

Gamemaker

Post by Gamemaker » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:36 pm

http://web.zone.ee/adrenaline/videos.html
Check the last video (terrain). I did my best for that map ;)

cthoennes

Post by cthoennes » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:23 am

That looks nice. How did you do it?
Well, some AAA games might use Skyboxes - which ones? I mean when looking up in a game like Grand Theft Auto IV, I don't really see Corners in the sky box.
I don't care if I use a Skybox or something else, I'd just like to create a somewhat realistic graphics.
Greetings,
cthoennes