Enemies that Teleport the player

Discuss any other topics here
ChainedFlight

Enemies that Teleport the player

Post by ChainedFlight » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:20 am

Hello Everyone,

I didn't see this specifically so I wanted to throw this question out there. I'm planning on having a game design with multiple floors stacked upon one another (like a skyscraper) but I wanted the enemy chasing the player to, instead of killing the player, teleport him down either a set number of floors or if possible an increasing number of floors corresponding to the number of times the enemy catches you. I'm not really asking for scripting, but more of a method to set something like this up, since I'd imagine that I would essentially need to set a teleport location on every floor to make this work and, as a primitive method, set a copy of the actor model on each of the floors where I want him to appear and set the teleport to a specific floor. (AKA I set it so the version on floor 30 always sends you to floor 28)

However, I don't know if my reasoning is correct in this or if there is an easier method to going about this. (I also may be getting ahead of myself a bit since I don't even have any actors to fill in for the enemy creature as of yet, but I'm mentioning more towards the possibility. If the variable method of more captures = further down is not possible then I'll change the game to fit what is. I just wanted to know if anyone has done something like this before.)

Thanks for any replies.

bernie
RF Moderator

Re: Enemies that Teleport the player

Post by bernie » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:12 pm

It sounds like a good idea, enemy makes contact with the player and depending on the amount of damage done sets the teleport target to a specific floor, then activates the teleport. I am almost certain you could do this by scripting but not fully sure at the moment. I will need to give it a lot of thought.

steven8

Post by steven8 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:07 pm

bernie wrote:It sounds like a good idea, enemy makes contact with the player and depending on the amount of damage done sets the teleport target to a specific floor, then activates the teleport. I am almost certain you could do this by scripting but not fully sure at the moment. I will need to give it a lot of thought.
Could it be done with logic gates?
Steve Dilworth - Resisting change since 1965!

ChainedFlight

Post by ChainedFlight » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:55 pm

It seems to me that the main issue would be that, in order to pull something like this off in the manor that I'm imagining, the game would need to somehow track the floor that the player is currently on in order to apply a teleport to the lower level based on, say the health of the character minus the floor level or something. (say instead of dealing damage to the player, the player starts with 1 health and when the creature touches the player he gains exactly 1 health and then that value is used to determine the level that he's teleported to.

I don't know if this is actually feasible or not (haven't given the scripting section of the tutorial a thorough look yet) but it might be an idea.

ChainedFlight

Post by ChainedFlight » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:57 pm

steven8 wrote:
bernie wrote:It sounds like a good idea, enemy makes contact with the player and depending on the amount of damage done sets the teleport target to a specific floor, then activates the teleport. I am almost certain you could do this by scripting but not fully sure at the moment. I will need to give it a lot of thought.
Could it be done with logic gates?
I tried looking the term up in the e-book but didn't find anything. What are logic gates?

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:09 pm

Logic gates are "and" , "or" , "not", "xor" mathematical functions. The gates can be added from the editor. they are explained in the help docs.
Steven I think it needs more than the gates.

QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:21 am

ChainedFlight wrote: I wanted the enemy chasing the player to, instead of killing the player, teleport him down either a set number of floors
The easiest way to do this is through sripting. This is even demonstrated in rftechv1 demo level: if one of the robots in the top level discovers the player, he will be teleported to the level below. The script in question is called robot1.s.

steven8

Post by steven8 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:43 am

I just stink at programming, and no matter how you spin it, scripting is a form of programming. I will do anything to try and solve a problem using entities! :) Chainedflight, I'd listened to Bernie and QOD.
Steve Dilworth - Resisting change since 1965!

ArnelMachida

Post by ArnelMachida » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:08 pm

I like this idea more than my brother. Can you give example of the script?
Where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence. - martial art