Greetings!

Discuss any other topics here
MiToVo

Greetings!

Post by MiToVo » Mon May 19, 2014 5:14 am

Hello everyone.

So, I was looking through different game engines, and saw that Reality Factory was still listed. I remember checking this engine out some years back and really liking how it was coming together.

With so much time gone by, and the advancements in tech and what not, I gotta say it's really quite awesome to see this site and this engine are still around. Looks like there's even some decent activity on the forum.

So, are y'all still actively working with the engine? Are people working on projects using it? Or is it more or less in "we all hang around out of common interest" mode at this point?

I'd love to see what people are doing as, I dunno... as nice as it is to watch stuff made with Unreal Engine 4 or whatever, I always find myself more impressed by games created on older tech, where limitations in poly-count and rendering tech required people to be more creative, more resourceful and more clever in how they created their worlds. Games created when Genesis3D/Quake2 and such were still "new" maintain a certain look that I still really dig.

I was playing some Neocron 2 not long ago, which I know was built off a modified Genesis3D engine, and it got me thinking about RF again, but I didn't think to look into it at that point. Still really like the look of it. Maybe I'm just crazy though lol.

Anyhow, I might give this a download and check it out again.

realgaming135

Re: Greetings!

Post by realgaming135 » Mon May 19, 2014 9:47 am

Welcome back! :D
I guess I can say that even though I wasn't around in these forums that much time ago ;)

Yeah, you aren't the only one around here who likes these old graphics.
Even though newer engines are better visual, RF is still my favorite program.

Anyway nice to meet you and good luck working with RF again :)
Without facts, a mystery is just a guessing game...

Veleran

Re: Greetings!

Post by Veleran » Mon May 19, 2014 10:18 am

I wanted to have at least a tiny demo along any new screens,that is why i have not posted any.
But,i wanted to have some custom characters and environment in it and, that seems to take forever,because tried to do the modelling,textures,animation,scripts,by myself.

If you can "borrow"existing characters actors and environment content with textures and pack them ,it is more possible to finish a couple of demo levels and upload them, because all your time and effort would go to the level design and testing game mechanics .
I think that even if Rf was the latest technology and automated like now,i would still have other things to do,and work not so much with game developing.

Maybe Rf does nt have enough examples to mod and do conversions with plenty of monsters and scripts.
Right now you have to download old game demos and study them and copy anything you need from them.

Quake 1 had quick and huge production of user created maps that you could make using a variety monster pawn presets ready to drop in the level and the next moment you could run the level and shoot them.
Rf is automated but maybe does not have enough game content variety for someone new to make levels right from the start.

For example the house of shadows demo could be converted to a zombie shooter if you fill it with monsters,or at least that is what i think.