RF 2 Discussion

Discuss the development of Reality Factory 2
MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames »

I guess my comment goes here? I hope someone reads it because this thread has been dormant for quiet some time :lol:.

Anyhow, Andy, I read that ogre3D has an in game LOD system that it can automatically generate LOD's for models? Will RF2 be able to take advantage of this feature?
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.
scott

Post by scott »

hmm that sounds great, i cant say if its going to be implemented or not, but at the moment i am wondering the quality of this, milkshape has this feature but isnt too good, an auto lod generator has been mentiond on these forums some where before some time ago and people suggested that its best to make your own models ready for implementation for lod
*GD*
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

Yes, the LOD system should make its way into RF2.
MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames »

Yeah, its still better to optimize yourself, but if I get lazy, I would use the feature. Might be good for some LODs though, like really complex models you don't wanna spend hours redoing.

Thanks Andy.
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.
jonas

Re: RF 2 Discussion

Post by jonas »

Andycr,
Any news on rf2? I know its been a while, I've seen a few posts where paradox has said a couple different things about rf2 in different places, but I was wondering how things are going. I hope all is going well.

Thanks,

Aaron(jonas)
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

jonas wrote:Any news on rf2? I know its been a while, I've seen a few posts where paradox has said a couple different things about rf2 in different places, but I was wondering how things are going. I hope all is going well.
I've been sick a lot lately, and I'm just barely getting back into RF2 development afterwards. There isn't much progress from what I have last shown, but I'm working on it.
zany_001

Post by zany_001 »

I was just looking at the OGRE wiki, and it had Py-OGRE, as well as C++OGRE. Which is being used? Because I know that python is being used for scripting, but is it being used for ALL of RF2?
Once I was sad, and I stopped being sad and was awesome instead.
True story.
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

We are using the C++ Ogre API. We considered using the PyOgre library for the scripting API, but after a little while of using it we realized that the API was too complicated and slow to work with for what we are going for, and as such are exposing parts of the C++ API to Python by hand.
jonas

Post by jonas »

Awesome I'm glad to hear that. I'm looking forward to using python, I love the power of that language.
Jonas

Focused, hard work is the real key to success. Keep your eyes on the goal, and just keep taking the next step towards completing it. If you aren't sure which way to do something, do it both ways and see which works better. - John Carmack
zany_001

Post by zany_001 »

OK sweet. I figured that anyway, just wanted to make sure. I'm learning Python right now so should be ready for RF2 when it comes out.
Once I was sad, and I stopped being sad and was awesome instead.
True story.
Sph!nx

Post by Sph!nx »

Yeah, seems very interesting! Are there any books or other documentation someone can recommend?
Regards Sph!nx

Sven Co-op, DevEd: Development & Editing
jonas

Post by jonas »

I think I downloaded "Dive into python" a while back. But I only use it for reference I'm enjoying looking through existing python scripts modifying them and seeing how they work. I believe there are also several other books avaliable free online.
Jonas

Focused, hard work is the real key to success. Keep your eyes on the goal, and just keep taking the next step towards completing it. If you aren't sure which way to do something, do it both ways and see which works better. - John Carmack
Sph!nx

Post by Sph!nx »

Hey thanks, Jonas!
Regards Sph!nx

Sven Co-op, DevEd: Development & Editing
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

I would recommend Dive into Python as well.
Destron

Post by Destron »

Hey, I know this sound kinda funny, but...
I really want this project to go through, so I'm offering to help. Unfortunately, I'm not a programmer. But if you need someone to test the tools or something, or make some GUIs for a menu or something, I'd be happy to help.
Let me know if you need anything.