Few posts recently but, summer is a commin'... (read me!)

Discuss the development of Reality Factory 2
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR » Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:35 am

I won't say much, but what I will say is IF they were to require rewriting, I wouldn't make you rewrite it unless the gain was much, much greater than the loss.

EDIT EDIT EDIT of your EDIT and EDIT EDIT:
Yeah, I'm not quite ready to release -that- much information. Sorry.

MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames » Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:46 am

Its alright that you cant release that info.

I'm now going to try to dive into game development head first to see what I can get accomplished. I never have tried to import any of my files into RF to make a game! I also have never scripted a character in my life. All my RF work has been theory. This may be a shock to some considering how much I'm on these forums and what I have posted in the past. But anyway, I will now put all my theory to work and then hey, maybe duel guns will be finished sooner than ya think. :wink:

Now to figure out blender.... *this may be later than sooner after all. :P *
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.

AndyCR

Post by AndyCR » Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:50 am

Wow, that is a shock, especially with how knowledgeable you sound.

Blender is a very good idea, especially since it will be one of the best programs to use to model for RF2.

MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames » Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:04 am

Thank you for the compliment.

I read basicly all the documentation I could on how to make a game with RF before I tried to complete anything. So I know how it all works in theory. I know how RF should work. Unfortunantly I havent done more than basics such as swaping actors, inis, and made a "boxy" level. I say boxy because it was more than a cube, it was a rectangular room with a high and low side and had some pillars and a rain entity. That was along time ago. I have also messed with the inis, and how there code mods the in game objects. So I have done the general things nessicary to make a game and know how it all works, I have just never used my own content. The one thing I have never ever done or messed with is the scripting of actors and pawns. However my knowledge of programing in visual basic has blessed me with the power to think like computers and thus theorize scripts.

I was almost afraid to post that I haven't made anything in RF yet because of how it may affect my reputation on the forums. :P I guess I have done more than I gave myself credit for.
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.

AndyCR

Post by AndyCR » Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:10 am

Ah. That reminds me of the time I built my first home-brew computer. For a year prior I accumulated so much knowledge on it I could build one in the dark, yet had never actually done it because I didn't have the money.

RF2 development is going very well.

Voltare

Post by Voltare » Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:35 am

i'll have a lot more done on the g.u.i. tomorrow.....

AndyCR

Post by AndyCR » Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:37 am

Excellent. I'll have more done on RF2 tomorrow... Alot more, I do believe.

MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames » Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:42 am

Im very glad to hear that RF2 Dev is going well.

I too have good news, although for who I dont know. Blender seems to be coming to me very easily. It's a good thing I learned all the tools that are supposed to be in blender by becoming proficient at trueSpace first. Now, if it only my pc hadn't frozen and lost that start to a character I would be further along. Good thing it was only part of a leg and only 2 mins work, easy to remake. However animating and textureing in blender is another story. Guess I better hit the net for tuts.

The one bad thing about blender I have noticed is that it tends to freeze my pc when I'm not careful.
Think outside the box.

Voltare

Post by Voltare » Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:16 pm

and here I thought makerofgames was danged near finished with his game!

MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames » Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:00 pm

Voltare wrote:and here I thought makerofgames was danged near finished with his game!
I wish I was! I would say that I am 35% complete in making my game. I say 40% of development is concept and design creation, 40% more percent is the creation of the digital content, 15% is putting it all together and making it work, and the last 5% is debugging and tweaking the game. I am in the last streech of design. I need to draw my 15 story mode levels yet, I have around half of my levels planned in my head. I started making some 3D content with an unfinished pistol. I will have to be clearer on my progress in the future. I will also inform everyone on the details of the game after I am nearing completion. However, some info might be leaked when I complete the duel guns portion of the game and I show everyone how to do it.
Think outside the box.

QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams » Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:49 pm

5% is debugging and tweaking the game
Usually debugging and tweaking takes twice as much time as you think... (well to be honest, I could tweak my games forever :P )

ardentcrest

Post by ardentcrest » Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:25 pm

For a topic on how there are few post at the moment this topic , and mostly to day sunday, seems to not have stopped, for a breath.

ps. Nice new logo andy.

pps. this topic is about lack of posts but it seems to become an extention of the rf2 topic.

ppps. I cant program c++ im crap at vb and vb.net so im making a menu creator program using my kids copy of "LIBERTY BASIC".

pppps. Sorry Mac and and other os users this prog will be for windows only.

just went back to the indext page. where the hell did "RF2 (Irrlicht) Discussions" come from. It was about time. see you all there.
He's a Bot Jim, But not as we know It.

AndyCR

Post by AndyCR » Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:31 pm

Hey, I remember liberty basic... I remember using it on my twelth birthday on a shiny, 0 day old, incredibly fast 256mb ram, 1.1 ghz celeron processor with an awesome 1.5 hour battery life and a vivid 12" screen. :D :P Good, if slightly unlearned, times.

Yep, and if nobody minds I'll probably move it to the new RF2 forum.

Thanks! It might be temporary, but it'll work for now.

MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames » Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:31 pm

QuestOfDreams wrote:
5% is debugging and tweaking the game
Usually debugging and tweaking takes twice as much time as you think... (well to be honest, I could tweak my games forever :P )
I guess it depends on what you classify as debugging and tweaking. I think of debugging and tweaking as a process you do when a game is in beta form. The time just before release when you fix those little problems. Every other problem you fix is part of that 15% of putting it all together. :wink:
Think outside the box.

ardentcrest

Post by ardentcrest » Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:34 pm

hay andy was your twelth birthday the first time you were allowed to drink "TEA"
He's a Bot Jim, But not as we know It.