The Secret is Out

Discuss the development of Reality Factory 2
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR » Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:21 am

No problem :) .

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

steven8

Post by steven8 » Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:42 am

I believe it is terrific news!! I lurk through here at night watching for rf2 news. This is very exciting. Panda3D is driven by python scripting. This is the perfect way to expose the engine possibilities to the users. Andy, I am worthless as a programmer, as I totally get lost in any language other than VB, so I can not help in any way with this, but I stand in awe of your progress and fortitude. Thank you for all your work.

MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames » Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:53 pm

I cant figure out which python version to install. Do I install the active python version because I have xp?
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.

AndyCR

Post by AndyCR » Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:18 pm

MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames » Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:34 pm

Thanks Andy. :D
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.

AndyCR

Post by AndyCR » Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:54 pm

No problem! :D

The Python issue I had is solved and hardcoded into RF2 so nobody else runs into the issue. On to continued development (it had me at a standstill).

Voltare

Post by Voltare » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:05 pm

i'm going to do some playing around with the irrwizard app, and a very slight build of my rfeditprowx app, but it;ll have to wait untill after the 25th of this month( i'm away at national guard training for 2 weeks.....),

so i'll have an idea of what to look for in andy's rf2.........

ardentcrest

Post by ardentcrest » Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:18 pm

To M.O.G's when i heard Andy was going python

(DID YOU KNOW PYTHON IS NANED AFTER

"""" THE MONTY PYTHON'S FLYING CIRCUS """

) SEE THE SITE. They must be mad :twisted:

O Yes...

I went to the Irr site to the links, as i rememmberd some link to a python site YAMMO is its name.

Try these downloads to see what python can do the the irr engine..

this is i think the mutiplayer
http://www.stenhard.net/download.php?view.6

more

for irr 0.14
http://www.stenhard.net/download.php?view.16

this need d3dx9_27.dll added to the examples folder just rename any d3dx9 file you have to "d3dx9_27.dll" . It should work it did for me.

http://www.stenhard.net/download.php?view.11

http://www.stenhard.net/download.php?view.10

http://www.stenhard.net/download.php?view.8

have fun.
He's a Bot Jim, But not as we know It.

incenseman2003

Post by incenseman2003 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:06 am

Will we be able to use the DirectX models with the RF2? They are sooo easy to work with.
Patience and tolerance are the keys to the passage of knowledge. Even those that are the most knowledgeable started with many questions.

AndyCR

Post by AndyCR » Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:12 am

Knew that, but never knew what it was all about.

I never saw those, thanks.

Well, a minor breakthrough. I finished what I need of the IniReader class in Python for now, and have it reading the game name and resolution from the RealityFactory.ini file.

EDIT: 'The X files?' :lol: (OK, I stole that one from a programming book. I admit it.) Yes, barring any license conflicts (I don't quite know what MS thinks about their api's format being used not only in OpenGL mode, but also on Linux... *hears chair being thrown against door*) Yeah...

Juutis

Post by Juutis » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:33 pm

Argh... Now that you told about how magnificent RF2 is going to be, my project with RF1 has frozen. I've been working on all kinds of little scripted things, like weapons, and now you're telling me that with RF2 it is going to be much easier... I just feel like all those things will be useless with RF2 anyway, so better do nothing.

I know... it's a dumb question and it has been asked a thousand times before but I would just like to know how long will it take before we can do something with RF2. Forever? Several years? This or next year?
Pain is only psychological.

AndyCR

Post by AndyCR » Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:48 pm

It definitly will not be this year.

As a general rule about RF2, you'll finish your current game before it comes out, so go ahead and finish it and make the sequel in RF2.

In other news, my main supply of programming fluid for the summer (iced chai tea) has almost run out. I'll be running to the tea shop to alieviate this crisis as soon as possible, before development falls into chaos. :lol:

Cynnical

Post by Cynnical » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:53 pm

is there going to a pre compiled version of rf2 with the python included or do you have to work with the programming and compile it???

also is python language free? because i have never worked with it before.

AndyCR

Post by AndyCR » Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:20 pm

nope, everything needed to run the python RF2 to my knowledge at this time will be included. (i've never tried running it without python installed, so sorry for the 'i think it might probably work' bit) Either way, you don't need to compile the scripts. They work very much like simkin scripts in rf1 in that respect.

Yes, it is free and open source, as well as having a very easy-going license.

Cynnical

Post by Cynnical » Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:25 am

is the language easy or hard at all??