DONT WAIT FOR RF2

Discuss the development of Reality Factory 2
scott

DONT WAIT FOR RF2

Post by scott » Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:45 pm

i know its been said before but i have also seen other comments saying my project is on hold until RF2.

well just to make it cleare, RF2 is going to take a very long time to develop so dont wait for it unless vital.

what i suggest you do first is do some consept art, plan your levels out thorely make your models in a different programe and use them to import into RF2, work out what sounds might be needed and go get them, if you havnt done any of this yet this should take along time to do and WILL DEFINETLY speed up the game creation in RF2 once or if it comes out.

there is alot more to making games other than RF2 so dont waste time by waiting.
*GD*

AndyCR

Post by AndyCR » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:10 am

^-- What he said.

GD1

Post by GD1 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:49 pm

ditto.

RF2, as great as it may sound, at current only has one full-time developer.

this same cycle has happened a thousand times before. there is always someone trying to make RF2, or talking trash about how they are GOING to make RF2. but, the fact is, writing an engine takes a team of proffessionals about a year or more. few people have the dedication or skills to do it by themselves. although, I think AndyCR is by far the most capable that has tried. if anyone can do it, it's him.

my point is though, i've seen several RF2 wanabes come and go, leaving nothing for the community. and everytime they do, there are always the people that hang around the forums talking trash about how they are waiting for RF2. these are the people that will never get anything done, and never could even if RF2 was dropped in their lap today. I know, because i used to be one of them.

making games is like playing a musical instrument. if you can't make a crappy yamaha sound good, then you can't make the $4000 Gibson Les Paul you've been dreaming about sound good either.
Check out my band
Tougher Than Fort Knox

AndyCR

Post by AndyCR » Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:08 pm

GD1 wrote:making games is like playing a musical instrument. if you can't make a crappy yamaha sound good, then you can't make the $4000 Gibson Les Paul you've been dreaming about sound good either.
Amen. A favorite quote of mine:

"I could write better poems, if only I had a better pencil..."

Development should pick up a bit soon, though I'm not prepared to disclose why quite yet.

MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames » Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:56 am

I will also join in on this plea for game developers to not halt production for RF2.

Take it from me, developing a game takes A LOT OF TIME. (heh heh, 2 years of development and not a screen shot in sight) If you want to make your game in RF2 I suggest this. Do all concept art and design first on paper. You may think as I did, I don't need that, I have it all in my head, that will just slow me down. Well its been 2 years and guess what? I dont have a game yet and one of the reasons is because of this. You will realize how important game art is when you start to model that world in your head :wink: . Also, write the whole story for your game if you get tired of the art aspect. You will also realize how important that is later. If you do not do all this planning you will end up in a situation like me. I have bits and peices of a game complete but not enough to show. Some character designs complete, most weapons drawn, and a few levels designed along with a good amount of sound fx downloaded from the web and a dozen or two environment textures complete. Luckily I didnt start the 3D aspect yet, only trying to model a weapon. Its frustrating to have worked so long and have nothing to show because I didn't plan properly.

With that said I do not mean do not touch those nice tools you will use to make game content. It is very important that you train yourself with those tools . Learn all the ins and outs of whatever 3D modeling program you plan on making all your content in. If you are like me, it will take you forever to figure out how to create a good UV map to texture your object. I still cant get complex models to map right and I have been trying to UV map objects for a good amount time.

Practice makes perfect. With all the practice you will increase realism of an object and decrease its poly count! Learn how to animate an object before you try to make that soldier shoot, that knight sword fight, or whatever it is to whatever it does. Also, learn how to make good textures with a 2D painting application.

You should not for any reason halt game production for the release of RF2. Many things happen on the road of development that you would never see coming. You might overhaul your game idea as I have done twice with my FPS project. That set me back a very good number of months of development. All together I think I used a little over a year developing now dead ideas :( . Only now am I completely satisfied with my games big picture.

So please I beg you, whatever you do, DO NOT WAIT FOR RF2 TO START DEVELOPMENT.
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.

Juutis

Post by Juutis » Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:55 am

Developing a game indeed takes a lot of time. I've been working on my game for about two years too... and all I've got is some weapons, one part of a level and one enemy pawn.

I started with the idea "oh heck, I'll just do what I feel like doing and plan the game as I go". And so, I've remodeled all my weapons 3 or 4 times just because I was totally new to modeling. Every time when I had a set of weapons finished I was looking at them and thinking "wow, they look good now", but in a couple of months, when I had become a bit better modeler I was dissatisfied with them and started over... It's nice practise, but takes a lot of time!

I had the same thing with levels. Learning new things caused me to dislike my previous levels and so, once again, I ended up remaking my levels. It's a weird thing, a year ago I had more content in my game than I have now...

And now I thought, since my game is going to take at least a year or two more to finish and I have the last (and toughest) year of high school ahead of me after which I have to spend a year in the army, that I'll just practise modeling and texturing instead of even trying to finish my game.

So, I hope RF2 is released two years from now on, then I can start making games seriously again.
Pain is only psychological.