Reality Factory 2 Videos Released

Discuss the development of Reality Factory 2
AndyCR

Reality Factory 2 Videos Released

Post by AndyCR » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:22 am

I am releasing video of the Reality Factory 2 menu workflow. I apolagize for the bad quality. I'm not used to talking on videos, so I make some mistakes I don't make normally, like trying to move an image down by decreasing it's Y value then wondering why it went up. :lol: However, the jist is there.

I will be adding the rest of the videos as I get them encoded and uploaded.

http://www.esnips.com/web/rf2/

I would like to thank Jonas for making the menu graphics.

Feel free to comment or ask questions.

steven8

Post by steven8 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:22 am

Andy, it looks great!!! That is the type of error checking which makes things so much easier on the new guy and the experienced guy alike! I love it!! I like the console when developing with irrlicht. It gives all kinds of good info. The menu looks good too!!

The video is just fine. Very well done. My computer gets killed by CamStudio. I thought your was doing quite well.

I didn't see what all e-snips has to offer, but this place allows 60mb file uploads and unlimited disk space they say. I got an account for The Dungeon files, but have barely used it. Go check it out. Although the video did load up for me in pretty good time!!

Thanks for all your hard work Andy!! :D
Steve Dilworth - Resisting change since 1965!

MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:29 am

Very good videos. RF2 seems to be exactly like RF1 from my point of view, except for all the upgrades like that life saving error message. Keep up the good work!
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.

AndyCR

Post by AndyCR » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:45 am

MakerOfGames wrote:Very good videos. RF2 seems to be exactly like RF1 from my point of view, except for all the upgrades like that life saving error message. Keep up the good work!
Thanks! :D

4 and 5 are the best ones. 4 is uploading as we speak, and 5 is being proofwatched as I type it.

AndyCR

Post by AndyCR » Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:17 am

All videos that will be uploaded for now (5) are done uploading. Enjoy!

steven8

Post by steven8 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:19 am

I just got done looking at the last one. Nice set of videos. :D I like the way your auto-reload works even better than BV. First of all, you can not dynamically update their menu that way. That still has to be done in a separate file and then rerun the game. I couldn't see too good, but it looked to me as though your screen was updating as you typed, not having to save? That is cool!!

So ,we have great new error checking and auto-reload as we edit. man, this looks great!!

Thank you very much for the mention, my friend. I hope my tool helps folks out. I made progress and will post in my update forum. . .

Thanks again, for all your work, and thank Dave too!! :P

AndyCR

Post by AndyCR » Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:27 am

steven8 wrote:I just got done looking at the last one. Nice set of videos. :D I like the way your auto-reload works even better than BV. First of all, you can not dynamically update their menu that way. That still has to be done in a separate file and then rerun the game. I couldn't see too good, but it looked to me as though your screen was updating as you typed, not having to save? That is cool!!

So ,we have great new error checking and auto-reload as we edit. man, this looks great!!

Thank you very much for the mention, my friend. I hope my tool helps folks out. I made progress and will post in my update forum. . .

Thanks again, for all your work, and thank Dave too!! :P
Thanks! :) Ah, I wasn't familiar with how BV does it, so I took it in the most literal sense. If BV does not truly do it, then RF2 is the only GCS I have seen that can. Good to know.

No, I was offscreen hitting Ctrl+S to save. :lol: But you could do the autmatic as you type too, easily, just use an editor that saves as you type.

Thanks! :D I actually am wasting alot of my night just messing with menu editing. So much for productivity! :shock:

No problem! So do I - AutoReload is neat, but it is even more useful for autoreloading of resources like images and models, and really isn't a replacement for a good menu editor for ease of use - like, say, yours perhaps? :P Imagine yours set up so it saved whenever you made a change, running side by side with RF2 with autoreload enabled so you could use your menu the second you edit it - hmmmm...

No problem, and I thank David too. Without his excellent work this video would not have come when it did. I meant to have a section at the end with credits and such, maybe there will be a 6 just crediting people and discussing other parts of RF2.

steven8

Post by steven8 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:39 am

The way BV does resources, is with a link in the level editor to the opr (attributes) file for an object or the controller script for an object. It opens the script editor, you make your changes, it asks if you want to save those changes, then reloads the resource in the level editor. It is a nice system, but it is easy to get mixed up in the editor if your level is complex. I like the cad style with the 3d textured view like we have right now. I am a technical draftsman, and that style works for me. I am going to go post my progress on the menu creator, then head to bed. I am on a new schedule now, and am off wednesdays. It's gonna be weird for awhile. :roll:

AndyCR

Post by AndyCR » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:32 pm

Ah, I wasn't aware of that.

Well, bandwidth exceeded on the videos - I guess that's technically a good thing. I have reuploaded them to YouTube:

1: http://youtube.com/watch?v=4MCUKePyRCM
2: http://youtube.com/watch?v=GULtdsA7su0
3: http://youtube.com/watch?v=UIvqqucbU6I
4: http://youtube.com/watch?v=HodrAUi6OGk
5: http://youtube.com/watch?v=3OS1piSPv64

ardentcrest

Post by ardentcrest » Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:39 pm

just looked at the vids cant wait for the next load.

Andy you cant just be 16 with that voice I have you around the same age as bernie :twisted:

Keep up the good work

With looking after the kids and trying to learn some python I'v only gotton up to hello unevirse

when i go back to work i hope to learn it a bit faster.
He's a Bot Jim, But not as we know It.

AndyCR

Post by AndyCR » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:05 pm

ardentcrest wrote:just looked at the vids cant wait for the next load.

Andy you cant just be 16 with that voice I have you around the same age as bernie :twisted:

Keep up the good work

With looking after the kids and trying to learn some python I'v only gotton up to hello unevirse

when i go back to work i hope to learn it a bit faster.
Thanks! :)

Sorry, I am 16.

That's no problem, take your time, you all know I won't release RF2 until it's done, which will be awhile. Progress is however coming fast - AutoReload was implimented in a grand total of 6 hours one morning/afternoon, though it's the kind of thing that needs regular updating as I add more features.

I am working on more surprises - these will not be so much revealing new features of RF2 as much as seeing how existing features apply to different applications.

msx

Post by msx » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:18 am

This is looking really nice Andy! I can't believe your only 16, you have such programming talent! Keep up the good work, I can't waite to use RF2!

jonas

Post by jonas » Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:44 am

steven8 wrote:The menu looks good too!!
Thanks! :lol: Happy to have contributed something, Since I'm having such a difficult time getting any of the rf2 tools I've been trying to make work :wink:
Jonas

Focused, hard work is the real key to success. Keep your eyes on the goal, and just keep taking the next step towards completing it. If you aren't sure which way to do something, do it both ways and see which works better. - John Carmack