RF2 Wish List

Discuss the development of Reality Factory 2
msx

RF2 Wish List

Post by msx » Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:21 am

Andy,

Hi I am msx and I am coming from modding with the Quake 3 Arena game engine and I wanted to tell you what I, as a game designer, would like to see in RF2.

Here is a brief list of some RF2 features I would like to see:

Shaders!

jpeg support (jpg)

avi or mpeg support for various things in game or in the menu
[Edit] Ok after reading through the documentation I see that RF does have avi support for in game, but menu avi support would be nice to! =)[Edit]

mp3 support
[Edit] I see RF has mp3 support but only for voices, it would be nice to have mp3 for music as well to keep the over all file size down =)[Edit]

highly scriptable entities (seen in the vid)
[Edit] RF seems to have this to some extent, but I don't think it can do what is in the vid I posted, maybe RF2 will have a more advanced scritpable entity?[Edit]

The ability to import Quake 3 .map files so some of us coming from that background can use Q3Radiant or GTKRadiant to make maps and then import them.

Real time lighting in the RF2 level editor, as well as the ability to draw out shapes like in Q3Radiant instead of carving everything out, the ability to make inner and outer bevel shapes in the RF2 editor. (I assume the level editor will be getting a major overhaul as well and you may have already planned some of these features, if so just know that I am looking foward to it!)

Destructable enviroments (maybe even make this just a script which can be attached to objects with the added feature of our choice of jibs, like wood, metal, glass, brick, or just make it explode, or even have it disappear i.e. deletion.)
[Edit] RF does this but in a different way. My mod uses animated models to produce the jibs of wood, glass, and metal. But maybe this actorspout could still do what I need it to do?[Edit]

A good terrain editor in the RF2 level editor! It's seems like just as much a pain in RF as it is in Quake 3 to make terrain. I had always had to use static meshes to do this and it looks like I will be doing the same in RF but at least it won't be a completely new experience! I think the best terrian editor I have ever used was in Morrowind. I could raise and lower the ground and if it was blocky I could use a setting that would round the blockyness off making the terrian look completely natural and I could also adjust how much terrian I wanted to pull or push with a size setting.

I'll post more ideas as they come to me, I think this will all be possible with pythone and I hope you give it serious consideration. Thank you for taking the time to read this.
Last edited by msx on Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

Juutis

Post by Juutis » Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:42 am

Hello, and welcome to the forums! :D
Destructable enviroments (maybe even make this just a script which can be attached to objects with the added feature of our choice of jibs, like wood, metal, glass, brick, or just make it explode, or even have it disappear i.e. deletion.)
That can already be done with RF. There is an entity called DestroyableModel which can be used to make a world model take damage and "die".
It's also possible to attach an ActorSpout entity to the the model which then creates those 'jibs'.

***EDIT***
Oh, and I can't watch the video.
Is it me or is there something going on in YouTube?
Pain is only psychological.

msx

Post by msx » Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:54 am

Hello, and welcome to the forums!
Thank you Juutis! I am happy to be here and I am really glad I have found you all! RF really is like a dream come true.

Youtube is under going some maintenance atm.

I have been delving into the documentation and see that RF does have destroyablemodel, also RF appears to have mp3 support but for actor voices only(?). In my Afterwards mod the jibs are actually animated models and I was wondering if that could be used instead of an actorspout? Please be patient with me while I am learning this new game engine. Like I said I am coming from Quake 3 and I know how it works (more or less) and how to make things happen in maps. Changing game engines after these last 4 years will take a bit of getting used to but I am reading the documention with great interest and I am pleased to read at how advnaced this game engine is. And best of all I don't have to do any programming (unless I want to). I just need to get used to the all the .ini files and how to use them and set them up.

steven8

Post by steven8 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:09 am

With your background, msx, I don't think you'll have too much trouble. At first, it all looks kind of daunting, but once you look closely, and break it al ldown into it's separate components, it's quite self-explanatory.

Welcome!!
Steve Dilworth - Resisting change since 1965!

msx

Post by msx » Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:25 am

With your background, msx, I don't think you'll have too much trouble. At first, it all looks kind of daunting, but once you look closely, and break it al ldown into it's separate components, it's quite self-explanatory.
I appreciate the suppport Steven, thank you!
Welcome!!
Thank you again!

Juutis

Post by Juutis » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:13 am

Yeah, with your background you'll get the hang of RF quickly. I had basically no experience of game making when I started with RF but still I learned it fairly quick.

I'm not sure about the sound support RF offers, maybe one the 'pros' around here could tell more about that. I've been using mostly wavs for sound effects.

In my Afterwards mod the jibs are actually animated models and I was wondering if that could be used instead of an actorspout?
I'm not sure what you mean by this, but I think it would be possible to do something like that.
There is at least one way. Model, say, a table in a 3D modeling program and import it to RF. Then you could use that model in a StaticEntityProxy entity, which can be set so that it can be killed. A death animation can be defined too.

Once you familiarize yourself with RF you'll be able to test all kinds of different things and you will see how flexible RF is. There's so many ways to do things. I learn something new about RF every day, new methods to do things and other stuff.
Almost anything is possible with RF if you have enough imagination. :)

By the way... learn the scripting language. It's gonna be your best friend in advanced projects.

RF really is like a dream come true.
I couldn't agree more. :D

msx

Post by msx » Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:21 am

By the way... learn the scripting language. It's gonna be your best friend in advanced projects.
I have been reading about it all night, now I must force myself to go to bed, so I can read more tomorrow! (Er, later today) Also need to get started on model tutorials. Looks like I am going to be using blender since it is free and open source.

Jay
RF Dev Team

Re: RF2 Wish List

Post by Jay » Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:01 pm

Well i am not Andy, but i'll try to answer some of the questions.
msx wrote: highly scriptable entities
As far as i understand it, i think in RF2 it will be possible to script EVERY TINY PART OF THE GAME, you could, for example, load a level as background for the menu, Andy said someday.
msx wrote: The ability to import Quake 3 .map files so some of us coming from that background can use Q3Radiant or GTKRadiant to make maps and then import them.
RF2 will not be using BSP, because of licensing issues. But maybe an importer is possible...

For Shaders, i think they're are going to be implemented in any case, even if they are somewhere on the bottom of the To-Do-List.
RF2 will be using Irrlicht as an engine, which is completely different from the Genesis3d engine that we're using now.

http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/

Look at the Screenshots in the Screenshot section to see what Irrlicht can do! You can also download it and watch the demos!
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----

Juutis

Post by Juutis » Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:17 pm

Woah! The RABCAT engine video is amazing! So beautiful...

msx

Post by msx » Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:24 pm

think in RF2 it will be possible to script EVERY TINY PART OF THE GAME,
That sounds really good Jay!

As for the bsp, I will work with whatever editor you all put out, but I do hope it will be right on par with todays level editors used in like Doom3 or UT2k4, or something even better!

Meanwhile those screenshots of Irrlicht are looking very nice! It gets me even more pumped about RF2! I can't wait! =D

ardentcrest

Post by ardentcrest » Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:40 pm

my wish list is that RF2 will be the "best" and will BE FINISHED SOON :twisted:
He's a Bot Jim, But not as we know It.

scott

Post by scott » Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:22 pm

we could partualy import quake3d map file into the current version of reality factory if i rmember correctly, but the whole point of reality factory is no licence agreement apart from having the logo shown to agree to, thus why i belive you cant use the quake editer to create your world as that has licence agreements to thus making the whole point of RF pointless.

im not sure about blender have never used it, but me and alot i could say most but hay im not too sure so will say alot of people use a programme called milkshape, its $20 something and has the easiest interface you could imagine it took me less than a week to completely learn most functions within this programme, it has no fancy ray tracer or partical collisiopn like 3dsmax making it complicated and its the best and easiest way to import into the current version of RF.

as mentiond in posts in the RF2 discution RF2 may NEVER be completed even tho me and everyone else here would like it to just be prepared if oneday andy says sorry guys i know you all have been waiting along time but i have other priorities now and cant complete it, so please dont wait for RF2.

the scripting language for enemy controls isnt the best but anything is possible, just need to learn the language (i still havnt after 2 years) this making anything possible

as for terain editor their is aparntly a map generator/terain editor if memory servs but not too sure, read the other posts in the forum for this one.

distructable models, this can be done as mention erlier by flaging the geometry as distructable i belive and setting a value... i know it can be done but i my self am unsure on how to do this as i havnt tried yet.

the only thing so far is the real time lighting in the editor but hay, cant have everythijng :D

and welcome to the forums, glad to have another member :D and i hope you enjoy using Reality Factory.
*GD*

msx

Post by msx » Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:48 am

welcome to the forums, glad to have another member
Thank you!

as mentiond in posts in the RF2 discution RF2 may NEVER be completed even tho me and everyone else here would like it to just be prepared if oneday andy says sorry guys i know you all have been waiting along time but i have other priorities now and cant complete it, so please dont wait for RF2.
This is very sad news to me. I was hoping to use this advanced gaming engine soon, but I will find an alternative.

steven8

Post by steven8 » Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:56 am

Woah, woah, woah!! Wait a minute. Just hold your horses there. Andy is a young man working very hard to make something special for this community. yes, it is something that is going to take some time. he has another developer signed on with him, but it is still a long range project.

msx, you have come in here with a tremendous force, and it is wonderful to have you. This thread has run the gamut near to running you off. Please do not leave in such haste. Andy has yet to respond, frm what I've read. Please talk to him before making such a rash decision based on a third party statement.

Send Andy a PM, if you must, to discuss this, but stick around and hear him out.

Thanks,
Steven8
Steve Dilworth - Resisting change since 1965!

msx

Post by msx » Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:47 am

Ah ok I will. The way Scott was talking I had assumed that he was on the RF2 team and was speaking for everyone on the team, or maybe I just misunderstood him(?). I'll hang around for a while, I mean if anything is to come of RF2 then I defnitly want to be here for it! =D