Hard Drive Failure

Discuss the development of Reality Factory 2
AndyCR

Hard Drive Failure

Post by AndyCR »

Well, I had a hard drive failure last night. It wiped out about 100GB of data on several partitions. Thank God that by a miracle, RF2 was unaffected. RF2 uses version control, so I would only have lost about 2 weeks worth of work, but that's still more than I want to lose.

I guess I should back up from now on...
psYco

Post by psYco »

When I read the words 'Well, I had a hard drive failure last night...' my heart stopped, thank goodness RF2 is ok (i hope you didnt loose anything else of value)

And yes backing up is always a good practise, as this has just proved hard drives do fail.
LtForce

Post by LtForce »

Why don't you buy USB key? I have it and I keep all my most important stuff in it :wink:
Lithuanians for Georgia!
psYco

Post by psYco »

well firstly I think they only go up to 2gigs and even thats pricey! And you wont find a 200gig FLASH DRIVE!
paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj »

They are not really expensive anymore.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... =T555-1060
psYco

Post by psYco »

well I still think that $100 for a 3gig USB FLASH DRIVE is still a bit steep. and any way you cant realy back up all your files onto one of them any way....
scott

Post by scott »

get an external hard drive, unplug when not in use and use it once a week, thus keeping it all safe and being able to store up to 200GB if the data is THAT important, also andy im not sure if you are or not, or if it will help but if you are using windows xp you may be able to use the restore function this will return everything to how it was before mabe, i have a restor point set once a day, thus if i get a virus i can restore to the previous day where it wont work :D that idea only works if its a nice virus (if there is such thing) where you can still run programmes and still start windows.

and im glad that RF2 is not effected and hope to god that nothing else more important was lost, do you know what caused this problem?
*GD*
steven8

Post by steven8 »

Oh man, Andy. I'm sorry for you. The trouble with restore points would be that he'd lose work on RF2 as well. It has to be kept up to the day, and everything else moved back. If the disk is damaged, that wouldn't work anyway. :cry:

Keep us up to date on how things are going Andy.
Steve Dilworth - Resisting change since 1965!
scott

Post by scott »

he would make a current backup of his work as it is now, shouldnt be too hard.

i dont know what you use your computer but backing stuff that you have created since your HDD falier wouldnt take up more than a DVD disk? or if no DVD burner, there are lots of ways
*GD*
jonas

Post by jonas »

That was close! :shock: Keep back-ups :) If something like that would have happened to me, I probably would have forgot to backup for a month, and lost everything.
Jonas

Focused, hard work is the real key to success. Keep your eyes on the goal, and just keep taking the next step towards completing it. If you aren't sure which way to do something, do it both ways and see which works better. - John Carmack
wackedoutbiker

Post by wackedoutbiker »

Guess what I'm doing tonight? Backing up my data! :D

Well, I'm glad you didn't lose it all...that would have sucked!

By the way, will there be any way to convert Genesis3D files to the new format of whatever engine we decide to use?
More atrocities are committed in the name of that which is holy and righteous than that which is wicked and evil
Anonymu$

Post by Anonymu$ »

Im very sorry to hear that...
:)
psYco

Post by psYco »

um I would just like to point out that this happend last year, wacked out biker just hasnt been around for a while,

@wacked out biker: If you pop in again, you should check out the newest threads in the RF2 section and you'll see that there have been many changes made and also alot of progress by Andy, oh and good to see you around here again...
AndyCR

Post by AndyCR »

Yeah, the hard drive failure is long past (turned out to be just a partition table issue, was solved with a utility, got back all data).

However, my laptop hits random keys, and my desktop's internet access just stopped working (bad wifi card). I am working on my laptop for now; However, thank God, I have ordered a REALLY nice new one that should come soon, and is PERFECT for RF2 development, and is faster than both my desktop and laptop (in fact, almost faster than the two combined). :D It won't be here for two weeks though, so it's either have my laptop "help me" with the RF2 coding (sadly it never types anything particularly useful, normally just "/", "z", and the play media button :/ ) or be unable to look up documentation needed for RF2 development (though perhaps using the desktop would do me some good - I spend way too much time playing UT2004 instead of working on RF2 :P )

I am going to go on a trip for a couple days starting March 21st for my 17th birthday, which is on the 22nd.
scott

Post by scott »

well happy birthday in advance, and i know the feeling with ut2004, for a while way back when i started my game all i wanted to do was play games and half the time was, but hay if we dont play games, how do we know what makes a good game, i think in our profession description we should have game player.
and your laptop sounds nice, i am very pleased with mine at the moment tho i dont know why intel have downgraded the speeds on their centreno daul core processors, i have a 1.66GHZ dc in mine, yet im playing dawn of war at full specs that say it needs a recomended (not minimum) cpu speed of 2.4Ghz, i thought daul cores just ment a little speed increase but was very good at multipule aplication handeling.

so you willing to let us know the specs of ur new toy ;) sounds like a cick ass machine :D
*GD*