Simple RF2 Demo

Discuss the development of Reality Factory 2
AndyCR

Simple RF2 Demo

Post by AndyCR » Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:58 pm

Well, I have been sitting on a few features for awhile... But why not show you guys? Have fun with this VERY simple demo.

The scripts which control it are under the scripts folder. They are the .py files. Feel free to modify them to mess with the demo! :P

Consider it an early Christmas gift. I did not include source code due to laziness, time, and file size reasons, but if anyone wants to mess with that just tell me.

http://realityfactory2.frogfaith.com/publicdemo.zip

Enjoy and God bless. (Note: mouse controls light)

NOTE: This demo requires fairly recent hardware (Radeon 9200/Geforce 5200+) to run correctly. It is UNTESTED under low end hardware, and I have NO CLUE how ugly it will work there since I did not code fallbacks yet.

ALSO note that if you mess with the scripts and mistype something the error console isnt working right yet, so most likely RF2 will simply show a black screen. This is NOT intended as a release, just a little demo of a few features, and LOTS will be changed before it is over.

Feedback MORE than welcome, hint hint.

scott

Post by scott » Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:42 pm

well i have a 2.6Ghz cpu, 256 ram, intel (R) 82845 graphics with shared memory (takes its memory from the ram) and it works fine :D one thing i dont understand, at the bottom is a circular disk shaped object, under it looks like a msall dome, it seems to have a texture on, whats it supposed to be or is this just purly a desighn problem, just mention it in case ist a engine problem that you wasnt aware of.

but yea good work andy nice demo, great effects, i like it :)
*GD*

psYco

Post by psYco » Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:43 pm

OMG! this looks very very very very pretty! and no lightmaps you say? and the mouse moving the light like that was beautiful :D One of the best gifts ive got this festive season! LOL

Just one tiny little worry that I have and that is, ''The new script language is python?!?!?!'' Isnt that like well hard? And and Ive just barely learnt to understand simkin and was planning on learning to script it but now I spose Ill start with python...

Overall looking great and its nice to see some tangible progress :D

AndyCR

Post by AndyCR » Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:15 pm

Scott: Sorry, could you please clarify? I don't quite understand.

Thanks! Don't worry, at the end it will be just as easy to use as RF, python is just there incase you want advanced stuff.

Here's a picture to show everyone what it should look like: (if it does not your machine can't do some of the effects)

BLACK_PHOENIX

Post by BLACK_PHOENIX » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:27 am

not bad. i must say that was worth the wait.

(i now this is a hassle but, could i have the source code.

preferably in c++. thanks)

r u using irrlicht for that. the intro looks like DX9 parralax mapping.

AndyCR

Post by AndyCR » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:45 pm

You can grab the source at http://realityfactory2.frogfaith.com/source.zip

Once again, this is NOT a release, nor is it intended as such.

Glad you like it! It actually uses OpenGL, but you can make it use Direct3D9 by changing setdriver('opengl') to setdriver('direct3d9') in scripts/setup.py. Yes, it uses Irrlicht.

scott

Post by scott » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:02 pm

well ermm its not doing it this time so cant get a screen shot, i wouldnt wory too much mine only has RF2 logo and the light, no brick texture at all but the light works
*GD*

AndyCR

Post by AndyCR » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:39 pm

Ah. Yeah, your video card can't handle parallax mapping then.

steven8

Post by steven8 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:49 pm

It looks fantastic, Andy!! And a very tiny download too. I am MUCH impressed!!
Steve Dilworth - Resisting change since 1965!

Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay » Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:52 pm

Looks very good. :D nice effects.
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----

ardentcrest

Post by ardentcrest » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:12 pm

Nice demo.

Have to realy learn python now to be ready in 2007 sorry 2008 SOrry 2009 SORry 2010

MAN, SORRY 2011

2011 I'll be an old man than, (SORRY BERNIE)

Keep up the fast work CR...
He's a Bot Jim, But not as we know It.

AndyCR

Post by AndyCR » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:07 pm

Thanks guys! Glad you like it! :D

It's actually 2010, but hey, I'll take an extra year if you guys insist... :lol: :P

People may (and have) look at this demo and say "Gosh, look, they have parallax mapping, normal mapping, dynamic lighting, model loading, scripting... At this rate, they should be done in a few weeks!" But in reality, I would NOT want to make a level in RF2 right now. No actual finished, usable level editor (I have one in prorotype but it needs rewriting anyway) makes arranging scenes............................ interesting. There needs to be more polish. More error handling. Better lifetime handling. So many things, and as such, I still believe the 2010 release date is most realistic.

jonas

Post by jonas » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:25 pm

Looking great! The parallax mapping looks awesome.
Jonas

Focused, hard work is the real key to success. Keep your eyes on the goal, and just keep taking the next step towards completing it. If you aren't sure which way to do something, do it both ways and see which works better. - John Carmack

Kamazy

Post by Kamazy » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:51 pm

Looks nice, Irrlicht is great for graphics. :)
And i see you'll use python, not my fav but is relativly simple and should make scripting a new experiance for RF users. :)

[edit]

Also: have you thought about raknet for multiplayer?
raknet and irrlicht go preety well (AFAIK).
but i see it's early to ask that question. :) (but i will anyways)

AndyCR

Post by AndyCR » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:24 am

Thanks! I can't use RakNet for networking because:

It's not free/open source software (yes you can see the source code, but it violates other parts of the definitions)
It requires payment for commercial use, so if someone wanted to make a commercial game with RF2 they would be stuck with a $100 bill