Another question on RF2 and cutscenes.

Discuss the development of Reality Factory 2
psYco

Another question on RF2 and cutscenes.

Post by psYco »

I was just wondering how RF2 will handle cutscnes (if youve even got there if not then how do you expect it to work?) My game uses ALOT of cutscenes in a similar way to how Final Fantasy used them (long renderd cinematics for every few minutes of game play.) and also in the way that 'Oddworld: Abes Oddesy' and 'Grim Fandango' use them, (to perform things that just could not be done in the engien easily e.g. player stabs spear into hole in game cutscene begins in which the same level is renderd and then the wall collapses and the player falls to the ground.)

All the cutscenes would be saved in some kind of video format eg .avi/.mpeg so I just wanted to know if there will be support for running video files from the game files at will? This can happen in the current version of RF but it tends to freeze or pause for a few minutes on a black screen while it loads the video Im hoping for something to let me smoothely blend between the game and pre renderd sequences.

Thanks
Jason
GD1

Post by GD1 »

I believe that Irrlicht has built in support for playing .avi and .mpeg but i could be wrong. My personal preference is to avoid pre-rendered scenes and do everything in the engine in real-time. But I can see advantages to both ways.
Check out my band
Tougher Than Fort Knox
allen5924

YYAAAY

Post by allen5924 »

WELL! hopefully it does.. COZ!

im doing ALL the CUTSCENES!

haha!
and RBS WILL be DONE!.. i love 3DSMAX! it's SOOOOOO MUCH betta than STUPID BLENDER!

haha...
well... im 2% done with the TUT! will be DONE soon! coz like im free this weekend! WHOOO HOOO!

anyways.. cheers man...
psYco

Post by psYco »

YAY! i see youve actually been working for a change LOL! anyway yeah apart from Gears of War night on friday ill be free this weekend so we can "hang" LOL anyway youve inspired me to go and do some of the tute tonight... Cya tomoz man. :)