The Dawn of the level editor

Discuss the development of Reality Factory 2
AndyCR

Re: The Dawn of the level editor

Post by AndyCR » Sun May 25, 2008 11:57 pm

I have RF2 running inside a wxWidgets app... Kind of. It runs, but it's by no means pretty; RF2 was designed as an executable, and still "feels" like one despite being a DLL now. I'm going to have to refine the interface a -lot-, but hey, it works, and that paves the way for the editor.

Danimita92

Post by Danimita92 » Mon May 26, 2008 12:06 am

Sounds cool, although a good appearance helps

AndyCR

Post by AndyCR » Mon May 26, 2008 12:13 am

:) I'm sorry, when I said "pretty" I meant the code, not the program.

AndyCR

Post by AndyCR » Tue May 27, 2008 3:55 am

I'm still working at it. The RF2 FrameListener class used to be a giant chunk of code which controlled most of what RF2 did; I'm splitting it into a number of singletons which accomplish the same thing (RF2::InputManager, etc.). This will allow me to continue working on the editor without cursing the RF2 DLL interface design every 2 minutes.

AndyCR

Post by AndyCR » Sat May 31, 2008 8:00 pm

Still working on improving the core of RF2 to better allow what I envision for the editor. The editor itself is doing some things, but it's not what I would call an editor yet. There's a lot of delicate scene management work to do to make sure all kinds of very strange things don't happen when saving or loading levels. All objects are in the same scene, but some shouldn't be saved - things like the move handles. When saving the level, there will have to be a scene query to make sure that things like that aren't saved (by adding a query flag to "editor-system" objects).

AndyCR

Post by AndyCR » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:16 am

I've (mostly) finished fixing the RF2 DLL interface, I have done the viewport camera movement, and I'm moving on to object selection and internal level structure. I have an experimental level format loading (stock Ogre DotScene, which isn't going to work for us as is due to things like entities), but it's not exactly what I want and I'm probably going to throw most of it out.

There are all kinds of ugly design decisions rearing their heads right now, and I'm wishing I had planned more for the level editor as I did for the shell. I'll get it, though, even if not the very first time out.

dylanwinn

Post by dylanwinn » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:18 am

NUMBER THREE!!!!

Yay, I always wanted to make my RF maps just l can in Garry's MOD!

Someone start coding, NOW!!!!

xD

AndyCR

Post by AndyCR » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:01 am

I've ripped out the viewport camera movement code because it didn't actually work correctly and redone it so I can't make it fail, as well as making camera dragging happen on a timer to pave the way for selections and such.

AndyCR

Post by AndyCR » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:19 pm

Added roll function to rfobjects.camera, added "addcompositor" and "removecompositor" to rfobjects.camera allowing post-processing effects, added axis-constrained mouse-controlled object movement groundwork for move widget in editor.

scott

Post by scott » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:04 am

this looks awsome, sorry i havnt replied much but have been working none stop for ages and dont have the time, is the sourcforge site got all the files needed to compile the current RF2 and if so instructions on how to turn it into an .exe i know its not gona b pretty but i could really do with the more power now, RF is strugling to render what milkshape can easily do, this is also after optomising areas so RF2 would be really handy about now.
*GD*

AndyCR

Post by AndyCR » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:45 am

scott wrote:i know its not gona b pretty but i could really do with the more power now, RF is strugling to render what milkshape can easily do,
Milkshape must have improved pretty significantly since I last saw it.
scott wrote:is the sourcforge site got all the files needed to compile the current RF2 and if so instructions on how to turn it into an .exe
Not the version I've been working on that has the editor, but the version from before I started it. Instructions simply don't exist yet (they do exist, but they are old - I need to update the sticky about compiling RF2 on Windows, and forgot all about it needing updating until very recently), but all you really need is the Ogre SDK, Visual C++ 2008 (or 2005 with the Platform SDK), Python 2.5, and Boost Python.

scott

Post by scott » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:20 am

milkshape does crash alot but it has better frame rate and texture mapping than RF, I know RF uses alot of resources for other things than just rendering but still i can easily move models that reach its limit polly count easily and instantly.

Well i cant wait till the latest stuff is up there on sourceforge, possibly with the smallest help document ever (just to get us started and pointing in the right direction) but i will wait as rushing doesnt get anywhere

also have you set up a donation fund for people who may wish to donate towards your project? (just an ida there)
*GD*

ardentcrest

Post by ardentcrest » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:20 am

Stop thinking of printing presses and give us an update :wink:
He's a Bot Jim, But not as we know It.

AndyCR

Post by AndyCR » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:37 am

There's not that much to tell. I went on a trip for a week, and work on the level editor is mainly in the non-flashy areas - things like selection code.

Sph!nx

Post by Sph!nx » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:15 pm

Keep up the good work and take your time!
Regards Sph!nx

Sven Co-op, DevEd: Development & Editing